Advertisement

Review Group Week 169 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri May 08, 2009 2:24 pm

McKegan wrote:Any suggestions for next week?

How about 'The Unwritten #1'?

It's a new Vertigo series by the Lucifer team of Mike Carey and Peter Gross, featuring a guy who's father wrote a series of Teenage Wizard novels based on him, but who discovers he may actually be magic, this first issue is only $1 too.

There's also House Of Mystery #13, a special anthology issue featuring a bunch of horror stories, or Secret Warriors, or, if you want to pick something to piss people off... Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 08, 2009 2:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:What the hell, we don't have a pick yet and the DC event tie-in book is generating less interest than the crazy british music magic comic???

The intrawebz are weird.

We all had FC fatigue before the event was over, much less afterwards. Fuck you, DC, for deciding to write good stuff now!! You bastards!!!! :x

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri May 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Unwritten #1

Vertigo.

40 pages.

$1.

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/comics/?cm=11645

Others...

Dark Reign: Young Avengers #1
Howling Commandos #1
Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri May 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers, I bet Yoni'll love it.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Anyone else notice Firestorm being coloured as white, it's nice to see it's continuing Final Crisis' tradition of colouring errors :roll:

Bad comic, review at weekend.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Fri May 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Unwritten sounds good. Everyone should be able to swing a buck.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri May 08, 2009 2:49 pm

We should have another recruitment type thing if we're going for The Unwritten, we might get a few more people reviewing if it's a $1 comic.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 2:56 pm

I vote Unwritten or Mark Waid's Unknown...

Postby ****** » Fri May 08, 2009 3:04 pm

McKegan wrote:Unwritten sounds good. Everyone should be able to swing a buck.

[center]Image
The Unwritten #1
as selected by McKegan[/center]
Written by Mike Carey
Art by Peter Gross
Cover by Yuko Shimizu

Everyone's read the Tommy Taylor books, the popular series of novels turned pop culture phenomenon about a boy wizard's adventures. And everyone knows about Tom Taylor, the boy the novels were based on, whose life was so overshadowed by his Dad's fictional epic that Tom's become a lame Z-level celebrity at best and a human viral marketing tool at worst.

But what if the resemblance goes even deeper? What if Tom is the boy-wizard of the books made flesh? And if that sounds crazy, why is it bringing him into the crosshairs of an ancient faction that has never been named in any book or text?

To discover the truth about himself, Tom must search through all the places in history where fiction and reality have intersected. And in the process, he'll learn more about that unwritten cabal and the plot they're at the center of –– a plot that spans all of literature from the first clay tablets to the gothic castles where Frankenstein was conceived to the self-adjusting stories of the internet.

A conspiracy mystery a la The Da Vinci Code, THE UNWRITTEN is the eagerly anticipated reunion of Mike Carey (X-Men, HELLBLAZER) and Peter Gross (FABLES, Chosen) – the team behind the multiple Eisner-nominated LUCIFER. Acclaimed artist Yuko Shimizu (SANDMAN: DREAM HUNTERS) joins the duo on covers, and the series kicks off with a 4-issue opening storyarc with the extra-sized 40-page debut promo-priced at only $1.00!

Vertigo | 40pg. | Color | $1.00 US | Mature Readers

Postby ****** » Fri May 08, 2009 3:18 pm

King Impulse wrote:We should have another recruitment type thing if we're going for The Unwritten, we might get a few more people reviewing if it's a $1 comic.

:smt045

I'm going to try and put up a thread Monday morning in The Asylum. Pretty sure that's when we'll have the most visibility traffic-wise.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 pm

I actually enjoyed it, it was one of the most fast-paced comics I've read in a while, it didn't let up for a moment, even when you thought it might, with his family, no, he's a jerk, move on, shoot more Russians, decent, if not spectacular.

Review to come maybe tomorrow, or Sunday if I'm lazy.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 5:15 pm

Punchy wrote:I actually enjoyed it, it was one of the most fast-paced comics I've read in a while, it didn't let up for a moment, even when you thought it might, with his family, no, he's a jerk, move on, shoot more Russians, decent, if not spectacular.

Review to come maybe tomorrow, or Sunday if I'm lazy.

But it is decent. It is solid. it moves fast but isn't decompressed. It was pretty cool.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 08, 2009 5:18 pm

thefourthman wrote:But it is decent. It is solid. it moves fast but isn't decompressed. It was pretty cool.

I said it was decent! Just not spectacular or amazing or anything, it was a very well-constructed action, chase comic, actually pretty similar to Ghost Rider #34 in a way.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Punchy wrote:I said it was decent! Just not spectacular or amazing or anything, it was a very well-constructed action, chase comic, actually pretty similar to Ghost Rider #34 in a way.

agreed. I was agreeing with you, ignore the syntax, I am at work and distracted.

Postby ****** » Fri May 08, 2009 5:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:agreed. I was agreeing with you, ignore the syntax, I am at work and distracted.

Hoping Cape Lady will make her triumphant return, IMO.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand