Advertisement

Review Group Week 169 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 5:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:Hoping Cape Lady will make her triumphant return, IMO.

only if she brings happy endings this time.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri May 08, 2009 6:13 pm

amlah6 wrote:[center]Image
The Unwritten #1
as selected by McKegan[/center]
Written by Mike Carey
Art by Peter Gross
Cover by Yuko Shimizu

Everyone's read the Tommy Taylor books, the popular series of novels turned pop culture phenomenon about a boy wizard's adventures. And everyone knows about Tom Taylor, the boy the novels were based on, whose life was so overshadowed by his Dad's fictional epic that Tom's become a lame Z-level celebrity at best and a human viral marketing tool at worst.

But what if the resemblance goes even deeper? What if Tom is the boy-wizard of the books made flesh? And if that sounds crazy, why is it bringing him into the crosshairs of an ancient faction that has never been named in any book or text?

To discover the truth about himself, Tom must search through all the places in history where fiction and reality have intersected. And in the process, he'll learn more about that unwritten cabal and the plot they're at the center of –– a plot that spans all of literature from the first clay tablets to the gothic castles where Frankenstein was conceived to the self-adjusting stories of the internet.

A conspiracy mystery a la The Da Vinci Code, THE UNWRITTEN is the eagerly anticipated reunion of Mike Carey (X-Men, HELLBLAZER) and Peter Gross (FABLES, Chosen) – the team behind the multiple Eisner-nominated LUCIFER. Acclaimed artist Yuko Shimizu (SANDMAN: DREAM HUNTERS) joins the duo on covers, and the series kicks off with a 4-issue opening storyarc with the extra-sized 40-page debut promo-priced at only $1.00!

Vertigo | 40pg. | Color | $1.00 US | Mature Readers

This sounds pretty freaking cool and being the broke bastard that I am I definitely like the price.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 145 posts

Postby doombug » Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Run #1 by Matt Sturgess

Wow the human flame was actually just made into an interesting character. I cannot believe this. The calibur of writing on this book was high as each page really kept you guessing to see just how bad things would get. From meeting up with an old partner to mixing it up with his family, miller proves to be a scumbag, a smart man but definitely a scumbag.

The shootout at the fast food resturuant was the highlight of the issue though as it really kept me guessing just how bad things would get. God that mascot never saw it coming. Oh and the curveball with the family made me laugh pretty hard. Surprised the word asshole wasn't blocked out as it is in every other book. This is in line with secret six but the lead character plays more like a scumbag then even they'd be shocked at.

ThrillHouse
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby ThrillHouse » Fri May 08, 2009 7:47 pm

For someone as potentially uninteresting as The Human Flame, I was surprised to be intrigued by him in Final Crisis: Run #1.

The issue starts off with a nurse being punched, has a burned mascot in the middle and a bicycle being stolen. All caused by the Human Flame. Matt Sturges is on writing duties here and walks a delicate line between over the top funny and annoying. But Sturges does it well and makes the Flame not only a giant asshole, but makes him a likable asshole.

Freddie Williams does an amazing job on art, providing great flame details and all the body hair a person could possibly want in a comic book.

A fun, yet quick, read. Final Crisis: Run #1 sets up what looks to be a fun mini.

6/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 pm

doombug wrote:Run #1 by Matt Sturgess

Wow the human flame was actually just made into an interesting character. I cannot believe this. The calibur of writing on this book was high as each page really kept you guessing to see just how bad things would get. From meeting up with an old partner to mixing it up with his family, miller proves to be a scumbag, a smart man but definitely a scumbag.

The shootout at the fast food resturuant was the highlight of the issue though as it really kept me guessing just how bad things would get. God that mascot never saw it coming. Oh and the curveball with the family made me laugh pretty hard. Surprised the word asshole wasn't blocked out as it is in every other book. This is in line with secret six but the lead character plays more like a scumbag then even they'd be shocked at.

Really, Smart? I'd go for conniving, quick on his feet even. He is somewhat clever, but I think this was all set up for it to end badly for him and if he were smart, well it would end with him in Mexico drinking pina coladas on the beach, somehow I don't see this turning out this way.

I also just thought, just now, that it is possible that this is the first of the current revival of Crime Books making a real impact on Superhero books. This feels like a crime book with a few Capes thrown in. Miller even refers to his costume as a crime suit.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 pm

amlah6 wrote:Hoping Cape Lady will make her triumphant return, IMO.

Anyone that knows of Cape Lady hopes for her return every day.

Review to come sometime before Sunday, I want to get it done before the one day of the year I devote to sports.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 pm

ThrillHouse wrote:For someone as potentially uninteresting as The Human Flame, I was surprised to be intrigued by him in Final Crisis: Run #1.

The issue starts off with a nurse being punched, has a burned mascot in the middle and a bicycle being stolen. All caused by the Human Flame. Matt Sturges is on writing duties here and walks a delicate line between over the top funny and annoying. But Sturges does it well and makes the Flame not only a giant asshole, but makes him a likable asshole.

Freddie Williams does an amazing job on art, providing great flame details and all the body hair a person could possibly want in a comic book.

A fun, yet quick, read. Final Crisis: Run #1 sets up what looks to be a fun mini.

6/10

Welcome aboard, ThrillHouse. 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 09, 2009 4:01 pm

Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1(of 6) - 'Step One: Make A Lot Of Enemies' - Sturges & Williams II

Story - Huh, this was actually pretty good. I'm known as one of the biggest Final Crisis haters on the site, that was just a truly awful comic, indicative of pretty much all that's wrong with modern DC Comics, and Grant Morrison's recent work, just dire. And for that reason I swore off getting any of these 'Aftermath' mini-series, no matter how good the creative teams were (And Sturges and Joe Casey are good writers, so that took some thought), and I was looking forward to a Final Crisis-free year, but no! DaringD had to go and choose one, and since I'm not a wuss like DeLarge who skips a week because he doesn't like it wah wah wah, I had to buy it, forced, with a gun to my head. You Bastards, you actually did it, you bastards.

But as I said, it was actually decent! Score one for you DaringD! The book stars Mike Miller, aka The Human Flame. Don't know who that is? He was that fat guy from Final Crisis who killed Martian Manhunter (Yeah, I know) and then got butt-raped into evil by Libra, he's got a moustache and fire powers. After a brief recap of that stuff, the book does what it says on the tin, as Mike run(!)s. He punches a nurse in the face, we see far more body hair than anyone could want, he tussles with the Kryzyzgznszztstsi Mob (That fake country was ridiculous! Is it from the 5th Dimension? Heh, Mxyzptlk humour), sets fire to a mascot, steals his daughter's bike and then blows up. Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

The thing I liked about this book was that it got down to business, it was like one continuing action scene, it didn't let up for a moment, even when you expected it to, you think, oh God, touching family scene, show he's not that bad a guy... no wait, he's a dick, yeah! Run! Too often these days DC books are too ponderous and deferential, not so here, since the book is about a villain, Sturges can play fast and loose with the character, and really have fun with it, the running interior monologue helped with this, getting Human Flame's perspective really colours events in an interesting way, this was very down and dirty for a DC book, and if you discount the flame suit and Green Lantern and Firestorm showing up, it could have been a straight action crime-story, what it reminded me off was high-octane movies like Crank (although probably more realistic, even with Green Lantern!), just a heap of mindless fun.

So there you have it, FCA: Run! is a pleasant surprise, turn off your brain, there's no pretentious channel-hopping multiverse bullshit here, just a bad dude doing bad things to bad people. It could be the kick in the nuts DC needs, and I am interested in seeing where it goes, the cover to #2 has a Nazi on it, so I expect shit to get weird, but I hope it doesn't lose it's pace.

Art - Freddie Williams II is a pretty unique artist, his faces look kind of weird, with really small eyes, but that doesn't matter, what matters is that the art is fast paced enough to go with the story, and I think it is. My only real complaint is the colouring where Firestorm is white for some reason. The white Firestorm is one dead Honky.

Best Line - 'It ain't just nipples, buddy!'

7/10
Last edited by Punchy on Sun May 10, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 145 posts

Postby doombug » Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:Really, Smart? I'd go for conniving, quick on his feet even. He is somewhat clever, but I think this was all set up for it to end badly for him and if he were smart, well it would end with him in Mexico drinking pina coladas on the beach, somehow I don't see this turning out this way.

I also just thought, just now, that it is possible that this is the first of the current revival of Crime Books making a real impact on Superhero books. This feels like a crime book with a few Capes thrown in. Miller even refers to his costume as a crime suit.

interestings thoughts lee, i agree completely.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun May 10, 2009 1:44 am

Run #1

Have to pretty much agree with everyone so far. Hated Final Crisis with a passion, but this one issue actually made up for some of that. This is a character that has little if any real compassion for anyone (proven when he goes to visit his daughter and wife - best moment of the story for me). I love how this man who was such an intregal part of the murder of Martian Manhunter can actually come across as both cruel, cold, and calculating, and you still end up kind of rooting for the guy. That's a sign of a very good writer.

Story: 8
Art: 8
My Score: Let's say... 8

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 361 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun May 10, 2009 1:55 am

McKegan wrote:Unwritten sounds good. Everyone should be able to swing a buck.

Carey is one of those whose work I've tried so many times and every time it's so flat here's hoping it's not a repeat experience.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 10, 2009 7:14 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Carey is one of those whose work I've tried so many times and every time it's so flat here's hoping it's not a repeat experience.

YOu did find the one problem with the book. INdeed, Carey does suck, here's to hoping against odds. I mean Milligen is doing a good job on Hellblazer so anything is possible, right?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 361 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun May 10, 2009 12:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:YOu did find the one problem with the book. INdeed, Carey does suck, here's to hoping against odds. I mean Milligen is doing a good job on Hellblazer so anything is possible, right?

I can't even bring myself to read the previews in all my fables books. I just look at it and say boring.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I can't even bring myself to read the previews in all my fables books. I just look at it and say boring.

Surely that's not Carey's fault then, but Peter Gross, the artist (who I really like from Chosen)

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 am

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand