Advertisement

Review Group Week 169 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Mon May 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Despite the fact that I like both of the creators on this book, there's no way I would have picked this up if not for the Review Group. Crossovers, events, tie-ins, whatever... unless it's a Marvel cosmic I'm not interested.

Sturges has been writing some great comics over the last couple of years on House of Mystery and Jack of Fables. I've been enjoying his comics work so much I'm even reading his fantasy novel Midwinter and it's pretty fun as well.

Run feels a lot like the supervillain equivalent of Jack of Fables. Total scumbaggy character doing deplorable things, but you end up rooting for him anyway. This was a light, but fun read with good fast pacing to match the title. More DC comics should have nipple flames.

I became a fan of Freddie Williams during his run on Robin and I enjoyed his art in this issue. The action scenes were well put together and with a couple of exceptions his noses weren't as funky as they used to be.

Story: 8
Art: 8
Overall: 8

Advertisement

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Just a quick review. Everything that everyone's praising I didn't like. It doesn't feel like it's a story, it's just big moment after big moment after big moment and I'd like a little more from my comics. Irredeemable characters can be fun, look at Eric O'Grady, but Miller is an actual villain. Not a big, grandiose villain like Doom, but an actual real-life villain, the kind you see on the news, and I don't want to read a comic that makes me try and root for him.
Freddy Williams always feels off, it looks good but there's something I can't really put my finger on, all his people look kinda, mushy, like not fully solid. I bet he'd draw an awesome Clayface though

Story - 4
Art - 6
Overall - 5
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue May 12, 2009 6:29 pm

I'll review before midnight.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm

meh, kind of a throw away issue. I didn't really care for it or the character or his body hair. He's an asshole I get it he's a shlub I don't care,

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue May 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Review Group Week 169 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1

Postby ****** » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 pm

amlah6 (in the OP) wrote:Hey, I'm posting my 100th consecutive review this week.

Anyone want to place bets on whether or not I can make it to 200? :twisted:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: Review Group Week 169 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 pm

amlah6 wrote:Anyone want to place bets on whether or not I can make it to 200? :twisted:

Only if you continue leading the group.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand