Tuesday, June 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 170 - The Unwritten #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun May 17, 2009 5:56 pm

King Impulse wrote:What Punchy said

9/10


That's not fair! I wrote over a 1000 words!
User avatar

KING King Impulse

Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Punchy wrote:That's not fair! I wrote over a 1000 words!

I'll try to write something up tomorrow, I just wanted to get a score in there in case I never got around to it.
User avatar

ThrillHouse

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby ThrillHouse » Sun May 17, 2009 6:20 pm

This was a badass book. Review soon.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Punchy wrote:That's not fair! I wrote over a 1000 words!

hell mine is long winded at 634, but this is one of those books I could have written a lot more about.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun May 17, 2009 8:32 pm

That was fucking amazing. i need to think about this for a while. Beyond the last page it was absolutely incredible.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun May 17, 2009 8:54 pm

7/10. It was pretty good, liked the art, but maybe my dislike of the Harry Potter franchise colors my views a bit, because as has been noted there is no attempt to obfuscate the fact that Tommy is a HP analog. Not bad for a first issue, if it's a light week for me and I have a little xtra $ maybe I'll give #2 a try but a Harry Potter/Fables/Promethea mash-up is going to be a tough sell for me.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 am

I was very hesitant about this book since as I previously mentioned I'm no fan of Mike Carey in fact I've never read a single thing by him I've liked. Peter Gross is also in the take it or leave it pool for me. I've never disliked anything he's done but he's not an artist that will make me run out and get something he's done. That's where this book leaves me. I ignored all the previews in Fables last month since I thought it looked boring like all the other Mike Carrey books I've seen. I thought the first few pages were what to expect out of this comic and I was immediately disappointed. The I realized it was going to somehow be a story in a story and figured it would be an author doing some kind of reading and it was going to be a books of magic type story. I was pleasantly surprised. This was an amazing first issue and it posed a lot of questions that I need answered and need to be answered either monthly or twice a year. I haven't decided yet. I'm interested in where the story can go and hopefully the book can keep up a monthly schedule, especially if I go that route. either way I enjoyed the book but the last page had me a little confused as blood would still be dripping from a statue a few days after it was used in an attack and well that guy just likes to carry around his attack weapon, yes I realize it was the only way to let the reader in on him being the attacker but either way it would have been nice to see him actually connected to the people we've met so far.
8.9
User avatar

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 am

Punchy wrote:You know, British dialect isn't that much removed from America, just because it wasn't over the top, 'cor blimey luvver duck' doesn't mean it wasn't true to life.

Mike Carey is English, lives in London, I think he knows what's a realistic modern British speech-pattern is better than you Americans do! :)


I've been to England a few times. I'm not saying it should have been filled with cliches, but the dialog seemed very American to me.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Timberoo wrote:I've been to England a few times. I'm not saying it should have been filled with cliches, but the dialog seemed very American to me.


Look at this way, is there anything specific to the way I or any other UK poster writes a post which would show them up as British? Is there anything in a Canadians posts which look Canadian? Or even you, an American.

Without using cliches, it's hard to really differentiate dialects when written down, it's why Claremont had to use cheesy phrases with all his foreign characters, Das Vedanya! Mein Gott! Faith and Begorrah! etc...
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Look at this way, is there anything specific to the way I or any other UK poster writes a post which would show them up as British? Is there anything in a Canadians posts which look Canadian? Or even you, an American.

Without using cliches, it's hard to really differentiate dialects when written down, it's why Claremont had to use cheesy phrases with all his foreign characters, Das Vedanya! Mein Gott! Faith and Begorrah! etc...

my problem was more with Gross than with Carey. everybody's teeth looked far too good to be British.




:P
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 1:37 pm

chap22 wrote:my problem was more with Gross than with Carey. everybody's teeth looked far too good to be British.




:P


Yeah, but nobody in American comics are obese are they? :P So it's fair turnaround.

(Except the Blob)
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, but nobody in American comics are obese are they? :P So it's fair turnaround.

(Except the Blob)


Ah, Punchy, there you go again...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rate.html

I mean, today's headline and everything! (I only read it for the femail.)

Don't forget you've got the highest rate of obesity in Europe, mate!
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 5:05 pm

House of J wrote:Ah, Punchy, there you go again...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rate.html

I mean, today's headline and everything! (I only read it for the femail.)

Don't forget you've got the highest rate of obesity in Europe, mate!


An obese European is a petite American!
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Punchy wrote:An obese European is a petite American!


That ain't what I just read! Quit trying to lump you fatass Brits in with slimmer nations! Or we get Canada! They might be slender.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm

House of J wrote:That ain't what I just read! Quit trying to lump you fatass Brits in with slimmer nations! Or we get Canada! They might be slender.


What is it about the english language that makes us fat?

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mac E Tero and 158 guests