Advertisement

Review Group Week 170 - The Unwritten #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun May 17, 2009 5:56 pm

King Impulse wrote:What Punchy said

9/10

That's not fair! I wrote over a 1000 words!

Advertisement

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Punchy wrote:That's not fair! I wrote over a 1000 words!

I'll try to write something up tomorrow, I just wanted to get a score in there in case I never got around to it.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

ThrillHouse
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby ThrillHouse » Sun May 17, 2009 6:20 pm

This was a badass book. Review soon.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Punchy wrote:That's not fair! I wrote over a 1000 words!

hell mine is long winded at 634, but this is one of those books I could have written a lot more about.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun May 17, 2009 8:32 pm

That was fucking amazing. i need to think about this for a while. Beyond the last page it was absolutely incredible.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 17, 2009 8:54 pm

7/10. It was pretty good, liked the art, but maybe my dislike of the Harry Potter franchise colors my views a bit, because as has been noted there is no attempt to obfuscate the fact that Tommy is a HP analog. Not bad for a first issue, if it's a light week for me and I have a little xtra $ maybe I'll give #2 a try but a Harry Potter/Fables/Promethea mash-up is going to be a tough sell for me.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 am

I was very hesitant about this book since as I previously mentioned I'm no fan of Mike Carey in fact I've never read a single thing by him I've liked. Peter Gross is also in the take it or leave it pool for me. I've never disliked anything he's done but he's not an artist that will make me run out and get something he's done. That's where this book leaves me. I ignored all the previews in Fables last month since I thought it looked boring like all the other Mike Carrey books I've seen. I thought the first few pages were what to expect out of this comic and I was immediately disappointed. The I realized it was going to somehow be a story in a story and figured it would be an author doing some kind of reading and it was going to be a books of magic type story. I was pleasantly surprised. This was an amazing first issue and it posed a lot of questions that I need answered and need to be answered either monthly or twice a year. I haven't decided yet. I'm interested in where the story can go and hopefully the book can keep up a monthly schedule, especially if I go that route. either way I enjoyed the book but the last page had me a little confused as blood would still be dripping from a statue a few days after it was used in an attack and well that guy just likes to carry around his attack weapon, yes I realize it was the only way to let the reader in on him being the attacker but either way it would have been nice to see him actually connected to the people we've met so far.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 am

Punchy wrote:You know, British dialect isn't that much removed from America, just because it wasn't over the top, 'cor blimey luvver duck' doesn't mean it wasn't true to life.

Mike Carey is English, lives in London, I think he knows what's a realistic modern British speech-pattern is better than you Americans do! :)

I've been to England a few times. I'm not saying it should have been filled with cliches, but the dialog seemed very American to me.
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Timberoo wrote:I've been to England a few times. I'm not saying it should have been filled with cliches, but the dialog seemed very American to me.

Look at this way, is there anything specific to the way I or any other UK poster writes a post which would show them up as British? Is there anything in a Canadians posts which look Canadian? Or even you, an American.

Without using cliches, it's hard to really differentiate dialects when written down, it's why Claremont had to use cheesy phrases with all his foreign characters, Das Vedanya! Mein Gott! Faith and Begorrah! etc...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Look at this way, is there anything specific to the way I or any other UK poster writes a post which would show them up as British? Is there anything in a Canadians posts which look Canadian? Or even you, an American.

Without using cliches, it's hard to really differentiate dialects when written down, it's why Claremont had to use cheesy phrases with all his foreign characters, Das Vedanya! Mein Gott! Faith and Begorrah! etc...

my problem was more with Gross than with Carey. everybody's teeth looked far too good to be British.

:P
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 1:37 pm

chap22 wrote:my problem was more with Gross than with Carey. everybody's teeth looked far too good to be British.

:P

Yeah, but nobody in American comics are obese are they? :P So it's fair turnaround.

(Except the Blob)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, but nobody in American comics are obese are they? :P So it's fair turnaround.

(Except the Blob)

Ah, Punchy, there you go again...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rate.html

I mean, today's headline and everything! (I only read it for the femail.)

Don't forget you've got the highest rate of obesity in Europe, mate!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 5:05 pm

House of J wrote:Ah, Punchy, there you go again...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rate.html

I mean, today's headline and everything! (I only read it for the femail.)

Don't forget you've got the highest rate of obesity in Europe, mate!

An obese European is a petite American!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Punchy wrote:An obese European is a petite American!

That ain't what I just read! Quit trying to lump you fatass Brits in with slimmer nations! Or we get Canada! They might be slender.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm

House of J wrote:That ain't what I just read! Quit trying to lump you fatass Brits in with slimmer nations! Or we get Canada! They might be slender.

What is it about the english language that makes us fat?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand