Advertisement

Review Group Week 170 - The Unwritten #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Punchy wrote:What is it about the english language that makes us fat?

Words have calories, I guess.

On a different note, you should check out a book called Literary Britain by Frank Morley, it's full of interesting writers' landmarks.

Advertisement

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon May 18, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the first comic I've read by Mike Carey that I didn't hate. The concept is intriguing and the different methods used to get information across were all well executed.

It was cool to see Books of Magic referenced in this issue as Peter Gross' art was one of the things that drew me to that series back in the 90's. His style is still very similar to that so that made this comic all the better.

Story: 8
Art: 8
Overall: 8

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 18, 2009 8:10 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm pretty sure this is the first comic I've read by Mike Carey that I didn't hate. The concept is intriguing and the different methods used to get information across were all well executed.

It was cool to see Books of Magic referenced in this issue as Peter Gross' art was one of the things that drew me to that series back in the 90's. His style is still very similar to that so that made this comic all the better.

Story: 8
Art: 8
Overall: 8

We were duped this had to be a carey fluke.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Mon May 18, 2009 8:19 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:We were duped this had to be a carey fluke.

Well it does set itself up as a classic Vertigo-style story. I'll at least check out the first trade as long as Vertigo is still doing the $9.99 volume 1's when it gets solicited.

ThrillHouse
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ThrillHouse » Mon May 18, 2009 8:40 pm

I haven't read much of anything by Mike Carey. But this book impressed me quite a bit. The art was very nice and complimented the story well. The issue managed to set up (and resolve) quite a bit of story while still leaving some big questions left, just like any good vertigo book.

9/10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 pm

amlah6 wrote:Well it does set itself up as a classic Vertigo-style story. I'll at least check out the first trade as long as Vertigo is still doing the $9.99 volume 1's when it gets solicited.

I'm sure they will, I just ordered the unknown soldier vol 1 for 4.99 from DCBS, and that series is destined for cancellation.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 am

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Tue May 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Unwritten Review

This was one of the more unique and intriguing stories I've read in some time. Carey does a hell of as job creating enough interest in the reader that I almost feel obligated to pick up the series in singles form. I understand this was meant as a promo for the series with lots of set up but that's what made this so good. There were a ton of questions raised and the mystery surrounding Tom was growing by the page. The art also served the story very well and did not detract at all from the wonderful story Carey is starting to tell here. All this for one dollar made this a can't miss for me and it's books like this which make me glad I'm in the review group.

Story 9

Art 9

Overall 9

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 am

After searching EVERYWHERE for the first issue all the three comic stores within an hours drive were sold out, so I ordered it from MOC sorry for the absent review.

Postby ****** » Wed May 20, 2009 7:48 am

young neil wrote:After searching EVERYWHERE for the first issue all the three comic stores within an hours drive were sold out, so I ordered it from MOC sorry for the absent review.

No worries, if you've already ordered it you can always just wait for your box to come in to review it. I'm going to do that with Herogasm this week rather than double dipping.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed May 20, 2009 7:57 am

amlah6 wrote:No worries, if you've already ordered it you can always just wait for your box to come in to review it. I'm going to do that with Herogasm this week rather than double dipping.

Just waiting for an email back, I had to order some other stuff that I wanted to add so it was perfect time really.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:40 pm

8 Pages back this was, my fault really for reviewing so late. But thanks to mailorder comics here is my belated review, thanks for your patience:

The Unwritten #1
Written by Mike Carey
Art by Peter Gross
When I first noticed the preview of this in the previews catalogue, I merely flicked straight past it. I can never find myself getting excited about a comic from a 3-page preview, it never does the book any justice. But upon reading the product description, I knew I had to have this book, and do you know what sealed the deal; 40 pages for a $1.

In this first issue Mike Carey and co. deliver a story about Tom Taylor the son of an Author who wrote a series of books about a boy magician (sound familiar) named Tommy Taylor. The Tommy Taylor in his books is fashioned after his son Tom in both name and characterization. Tom Taylor now makes money off his father’s books after his disappearance, by doing the convention circuits and various book signing tours. During one of these conventions a question is raised as to his true identity and whether he is, in fact the son of Wilson Taylor, the author of the books. The journey in issue #1 takes us to a place where we start to question that he may not be from the real world at all, and may in fact be Tommy Taylor from the fictional stories.

Now what struck me was the more realistic tone to some of this book. When the question is raised to Tom Taylor “Who are you?” The Public; via the internet goes crazy and literally breaks in half. This to me really showed how fast rumour and gossip can spread thanks to the many internet based networking sites.

The page in the comic dedicated to Tom Taylor’s love of the Geography in England and what it pertains to the literary world were great and fun to read but I can’t help but thinking this will have a great deal more to do with the series at it progresses.

Now as far as I’m aware this is my first encounter of Peter Gross on art. What really struck out to me was not just the stellar art but the visual progression of Tom Taylor’s character. Tom starts out neat and presentable and throughout the book as his life becomes unhinged and he encounters various stresses little changes are used. The character looks more tired, his hair becomes out of place, he looks messy and looks genuinely stressed. Now I can’t draw to save my life, and I admire artists that can make a character look the same from panel-to-panel but this just made the comic a lot more enjoyable and real to me.

This was a great first issue setting up a lot of mysteries, and what seems to be one hell of a ride coming up. I don’t have enough good things to say about this book. The upcoming world of the Tommy Taylor mystery is one that I definitely want to be a part of.

Story – 8.5
Art – 7.5
Overall - 8

I’ve read it three times already and if I didn’t have a no-vertigo-monthly-except-for-fables rule I’d be on this every month so fast, but alas I have to keep costs down somehow.

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Good review, young neil. 8)

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand