Advertisement

Review Group Week 171 - The Boys: Herogasm #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu May 21, 2009 9:23 pm

The Unwritten

I liked it well enough. I love the fact it embraces it's similarities to Harry Potter, even mentioning the book in this issue. The main character seems likeable enough. He wants to live his own life and not in the shadow of his dad and his legacy, ok thats cool. I'm not sure whats going on yet in the story, but thats probably a good thing

The art is serviceable. It's not going to win any awards from me personally, but it works and it isn't what I'd call "ugly" or "bad art" either. Was the bearded wannabe cult leader guy supposed to look like Alan Moore? :)

7/10

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 21, 2009 11:56 pm

This issue was pretty ok. It felt a lot like the first issue of the boys. Good but not great. Robertson is one of my favorite artists so anytime he's not there I consider it a step back. The sex romp fun time super happy hour is Garth over the top but with out enough substance.

which I believe is my score on Boys #1
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 pm

The boys are on stake out as the heroes reveal just where they go during crossovers. Honestly I know they use a lot of sex in the book but can't there be just a good hero or two other then our big russian friend who don't take place in this stuff?

Really loved the few pages we got with the boys though. My only major complaint is....why is this a mini and not part of the main book?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 22, 2009 5:46 pm

doombug wrote:The boys are on stake out as the heroes reveal just where they go during crossovers. Honestly I know they use a lot of sex in the book but can't there be just a good hero or two other then our big russian friend who don't take place in this stuff?

Really loved the few pages we got with the boys though. My only major complaint is....why is this a mini and not part of the main book?

I would think because this is a layer of the story going on in the main book.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri May 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Next week's pick is....?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri May 22, 2009 6:28 pm

GLX wrote:Next week's pick is....?

Up to Starlord. 8)

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri May 22, 2009 6:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:Up to Starlord. 8)

Then, he best post it.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri May 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Herogasm #1

I am a bit conflicted with this book. I did enjoy the hell out of it and laughed my ass of a few times but I was kind of hoping that it would stay away from the Boys and be nothing but a mini of debauchery and mayhem. I felt as if this could have just been another issue of The Boys it started strong but towards the end it felt like I was reading The Boys with a guest artist. Still an average Ennis book is still better than most things out there, the art was pretty solid and there were definitely some laugh out loud moments.

STORY - 7
ART - 8
OVERALL - 7.5

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri May 22, 2009 9:32 pm

GLX wrote:Then, he best post it.

Don't push me! :evil:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 pm

The Last Days of Animal Man #1

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat May 23, 2009 8:21 am

starlord wrote:The Last Days of Animal Man #1

Sounds groovy to me.

[center]Image
The Last Days of Animal Man #1
as selected by Starlord[/center]
Written by Gerry Conway
Art by Chris Batista and Dave Meikis
Cover by Brian Bolland

Is Buddy Baker losing it all? Everyman hero Buddy Baker has fought hard for our world, and for his family. But by the year 2024, the Earth has seen better days: The heroes are growing tired, the villains have grown nastier and Buddy's own hometown of San Diego has struggled for years to recover from a cataclysmic typhoon. His children have grown and his marriage has gotten colder… and now, as San Diego faces the most vicious Super-Villain it's seen in years, his powers are starting to fail him! Without his powers, without his family – who is Buddy Baker? Can he still be a husband? Can he still be a father? Can he still be Animal Man? And more importantly, can he even survive the bloodthirsty plan his arch-rival's progeny has in store for him?

Comics legend Gerry Conway (TV's Law and Order) makes his return to DC with this can't-miss miniseries

DC Universe | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

Who knew that Gerry Conway had been writing for Law & Order? That's kind of cool.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 23, 2009 12:19 pm

The Boys: Herogasm #1 - 'One: Babylon' - Ennis, McCrea, Burns and Avina

Story - This is the third book we've reviewed in The Boys franchise, we reviewed #1 way back when, and also #19, and I found it interesting to see what my thoughts were then, and how they are now, back when we reviewed #1 I said I wasn't a Garth Ennis fan at all, that has now changed, thanks to this book and Preacher, in fact, a lot has changed, we are now about halfway through the planned run of Ennis and Robertson's satirical opus, and it's time for a spin-off mini, focusing on the so-called Heroes. Preacher had several successful spin-offs, most notably the Saint Of Killers mini, and I have high hopes for the first such series for The Boys, are my expectations met? Pretty much.

By now, you should be comfortable with the world of The Boys, it's a world with superheroes, but they are all massive twats, and under the control of a mysterious multi-national conglomerate, Vought-American. It's up to our heroes, The Boys to yadda yadda yadda. This mini changes it up a little by focusing on the capes rather than The Boys, and we see what they get up to during a 'Crossover', basically, they tell the public they are off to fight some huge world-threatening evil, but instead they go to a private island and fuck themselves silly, it's a funny idea, and one that fits in with what we've seen before in the main series, some of what they get up to is amongst the sickest and funniest stuff I've read in a comic for a while, lines like 'Dude you smell like Pussy!' and 'Come on my hump!' will live in my filthy little memory for a while!

Herogasm is operating on a couple of levels, it's more than just superhero sex, there is also some nice little digs at the Big Two's comics and characters, the names of previous 'Herogasms' such as 'The Civil Dispute' and 'Downcount' are sure to make someone who follows Marvel and DC smile, I also particularly liked the use of Zatanna-esque backwards speech, 'kcus ym kcoc', and that was even used for a Preacher nod too (Odin Quincannon anyone?). Some of the best examples of superhero parody I've seen, and pretty subtle for an orgy. Along with the sex and the parody, Herogasm has another thing going on! Another layer! It's like a filthy jizz-covered onion, and that third layer is a little something we like to call plot progression, and it's all over the place here. First of all the mysterious Vought dude, throughout the series he's been there, being nondescript and creepy, until the end of the G-Men arc (LOVED how Homelander linked their deaths in with the fake crossover) where we saw some of what he's about, and that continues here, we learn more about him, and about Vought's pet Vice President (and probable retard, Vic The Veep), this is, I think one of the book's main threads, and I'm glad to see it continue. We also have more of perhaps the book's out an out villain, Superman analogue, The Homelander, the scene with him and the Captain America analogue, post-coitus was very interesting, and hints as to what the fuck his deal is, 'I could do anything', coming from him, is chilling indeed. And then there's the relationship between Starlight, perhaps the only superhero who is a decent person, and Wee Hughie of the boys, their phone conversation was very nice and sweet, and still integral to the book, their relatively normal relationship is what grounds the book for me, without something like this, all the crazy goings on don't mean much, and of course, the tension of neither of them knowing what the other does gets even stronger here, and there was a nice little transition where we see that Hughie and the rest of The Boys have found their way onto the Island, and are planning on taking out Vic The Veep. This ending surprised me, I thought this was going to be a story just about the capes, and not about The Boys, so them being involved only heightens the tension for what might happen, and assassinating the Vice President? That's a pretty neat hook to end #1 on.

Overall, Herogasm #1 is a very enjoyable book, the sex and language may be a little over the top, but that's par for the course for Ennis, if you look beyond 'Oh Jesus use your stretching powers!' this is a comic with a healthy does of intrigue, great characterisation, and clever parody, if you read The Boys, it's not to be missed, and if you don't read The Boys.., what are you doing reading this review? Go and get the trades now! NOW!

Art - I'm not really familiar with John McCrea, but what I saw here was competent, if not as good as what I'm used to with Darick Robertson's excellent work on the main series, he handled the sex scenes well, but it just wasn't as polished as Robertson, good, but not that good.

Best Line - 'Let's fuck!'

8/10

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat May 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Punchy wrote:Best Line - 'Let's fuck!'

8/10

When I first read this I actually thought to myself that better be Punchy's best line.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 23, 2009 7:28 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:When I first read this I actually thought to myself that better be Punchy's best line.

Ha! I'm inside your brain!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Seems to be a lot more going on if one is familiar with the boys. sigh. Ok, Wikipedia.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand