Advertisement

Review Group Week 171 - The Boys: Herogasm #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 23, 2009 8:09 pm

House of J wrote:Seems to be a lot more going on if one is familiar with the boys. sigh. Ok, Wikipedia.

Yeah, I don't think this would be as good if you don't follow The Boys, because on the surface it's just filth, but there are subplots underneath that crust.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, I don't think this would be as good if you don't follow The Boys, because on the surface it's just filth, but there are subplots underneath that crust.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheap trade. If I hadn't donated my extra cash this week to a fund for a friend's vet bills, I'd run out and buy it tomorrow, now I would very much like to read it.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun May 24, 2009 1:33 am

Herogasm #1

The more Garth Ennis I read, the more I enjoy. He's got such a warped and wonderful percpective on the world of comics that I can't help but look forward to anythin he writes. I just finished the third trade of The Boys (one of my favorites at the moment), so I was excited about reading this new book by him.

And I wasn't dissapointed at all! This world that he has created absolutely fascinates the hell out of me! I'm always equally repulsed and laughing at the same time. If he continues the way he's going with this new series, he's going to have another hit on his hand... and deservedly so.

Yet, the artwork on this is even more wonderful than the writing. The coloring and inks are practically perfect (for my taste at least). I love an art team that can capture real emotion in the faces without exagerating them, and this team does that in spades!

Of course I'll wait for the trades on this, but I'll be waiting anxiously! Great pick!

Story: 8
Art: 10
My Score: 9.25

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon May 25, 2009 2:15 am

Just over a month ago I switched back to getting the boys monthly, in doing so I picked up all the singles that I’d missed whilst trade waiting and read through the entire series again, and loved every minute of it. Sometimes I don’t get the Ennis love that a lot of people have, but ‘the Boys’ is not one of those cases. Herogasm #1 is the first issue of a mini-series that is attached to the main title. In this issue we see what ‘really’ happens during cross-overs and big events.

This was a great read, lots of sex, profanities and all around good times. If you haven’t read this title before you, you don’t know what you’re missing. The one thing that I really dig about this title is the parodies of existing DC and Marvel characters, and this issue was full of not just those but references to various “cross-overs”.

Darick Robertson is sorely missed on art, not that John McCrea did a bad job, I just always enjoy reading Simon Pegg as Hughie. I always enjoy seeing another interpretation of someone’s characters and John Mc Crea did an outstanding job.

My one gripe with this issue was that it didn’t feel different to the main book in any way, and am a little confused why this was a mini rather than just fleshing out an arc in the main title and making it longer. Overall this wasn’t as strong as the main title, but was still a great over-the-top read.

Overall - 7

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon May 25, 2009 3:48 am

young neil wrote:

My one gripe with this issue was that it didn’t feel different to the main book in any way, and am a little confused why this was a mini rather than just fleshing out an arc in the main title and making it longer. Overall this wasn’t as strong as the main title, but was still a great over-the-top read.

Overall - 7

My thoughts exactly.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 25, 2009 8:44 am

Damn you Punchy! Damn you Ennis! Damn you Review Group!

Well, I had to go buy the first Boys tpb yesterday after all. God knows what I will do for food this coming week.

Anyway, I liked it. Do you think if I return it to the shop and say I meant to get trade #2 they'll let me swap? Six issues goes by too quickly.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 25, 2009 10:10 am

House of J wrote:Damn you Punchy! Damn you Ennis! Damn you Review Group!

Well, I had to go buy the first Boys tpb yesterday after all. God knows what I will do for food this coming week.

Anyway, I liked it. Do you think if I return it to the shop and say I meant to get trade #2 they'll let me swap? Six issues goes by too quickly.

Say you bought it for a friend as a present, but they already have it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 25, 2009 10:16 am

Punchy wrote:Say you bought it for a friend as a present, but they already have it.

Good one!

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

Herogasm review

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. If nothing more than for it just being a pretty mindless and yet very funny read. The sex orgies by the pool were very funny and that one guy asking the other guy if what they did makes them gay was awesome. I've read a lot of Ennis' stuff before so I'm used to a lot of the shock stuff he throws into his books but this was good fun nonetheless.

Short review but not much else to be said really.

Story 7
Art 7
Overall 7

Postby ****** » Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 am

ThrillHouse
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby ThrillHouse » Tue May 26, 2009 5:38 pm

When this was announced as our pick, I was less than excited. I really didn't care for "The Boys" and I figured as such, I wouldn't like the spin off.

Turns out I was right.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good majority of Garth's work. Namely Preacher and his Punisher work. But something about his Boys work has always seemed a little...weak. The series always appeared that it was trying to hard to be "shocking". At any rate it always left a bad taste in my mouth (pun very much intended).

Herogasm is much of the same. Superhero's gone wild and it doesn't do much for me at all. The art is very well done and the highpoint of the issue.

3.5 out of 10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

So, yeah, I finally got around to reading and reviewing this, will link when live.

Story 5
Art 6
total 5.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am

You fuckers are bringing down the average for a great book.

Hey Amlah, where's the thread for Last Days Of Animal Man?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 am

Punchy wrote:You fuckers are bringing down the average for a great book.

Hey Amlah, where's the thread for Last Days Of Animal Man?

wasn't a great book, sorry... it was fun, but felt like it was all old hack...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu May 28, 2009 10:06 am

thefourthman wrote:wasn't a great book, sorry... it was fun, but felt like it was all old hack...

You don't like fun?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand