Advertisement

Review Group Week 172 - The Last Days of Animal Man #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun May 31, 2009 1:46 pm

GLX wrote:I know. That's why I made the comic nomination thread.

thanks for that!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun May 31, 2009 1:59 pm

Animal Man: The Last Days Issue #1

Admittedly I read this rather quickly, but I found it just adequate. Nothing really jumped out at me as real interesting, but I didn't find it necessarily weak, either. The art was fantastic; some of the most enjoyable I've seen in a while, actually.

I will continue to buy it because I'm interested in Buddy, but I hope it gets better.

Story: 6
Art: 9

My Score: 7.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Sun May 31, 2009 10:36 pm

House of J wrote:Yeah, I liked that too. I like the Buddy Baker character, and that's spot-on characterization. I wanted Buddy and Ellen to be happy in the future, I mean let's face it they've been through a lot. One thing I really didn't like was how the scene with Buddy and Ellen made me actually dislike her. I think Buddy should opt for the life of the swinging bachelor at this point.

It's just one of the reasons this book felt so flat to me was because of how little imagination went in to crafting the 2024 background, other than little knee-jerk things like "carbon taxes" worked into the dialogue rather artificially-sounding. For some reason it bothers me more than any other single problem with this issue.

But cool we agree. Do we disagree often? (For the record, I'd rewrite my Herogasm paragraph now that I've read 16 issues of The Boys. Kind of weird going into that with Herogasm as my introduction, but actually it gave me good background going into The Boys first two graphic novels and kept me from getting bored with the slower parts.)

Actually I'm not sure, we may disagree on a few things. lol

But yeah, Ellen really was laying it on thick here and it didn't feel like her. WTF is with making her into a nagging bitch?

The 2024 background really was kind of weak as well. I don't know, I hate being overly negative just one issue in. I'm sure I'll be able to update people when I read more into it.

Buddy Baker is probably one of my favorite characters in DC and he deserves a lot better then what he was being put through here. I get that it's "the last animal man" story. But why doesn't he become a legacy character or something? It would make for a much stronger ending to his heroic career.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:42 am

I haven't read much Animal Man at all so I don't know if an 'end' story for the character is the best place for me to start but I liked this comic well enough. Conway does a nice job of introducing the character and his powers and establishing the current status quo. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it gets the job done.

I feel like I should be more familiar with Chris Batista's work, but I'm not. I'm not sure I've even seen a comic before with his art, but I like it a lot, especially when he broke panel.

Story: 7
Art: 8
Overall: 7.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 pm

I'll get around to this soon.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:18 am

The Last Days of Animal Man

This was a competent book with a typical narration driven story, nice characterization and adequate art. There is nothing particularly spectacular about the book. It feels like it is really just getting started and then it ends with one heck of a cliffhanger.

Story 7
Art 6
Overall 6.5
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:03 am

amlah6 wrote:I haven't read much Animal Man at all so I don't know if an 'end' story for the character is the best place for me to start but I liked this comic well enough. Conway does a nice job of introducing the character and his powers and establishing the current status quo. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it gets the job done.

I feel like I should be more familiar with Chris Batista's work, but I'm not. I'm not sure I've even seen a comic before with his art, but I like it a lot, especially when he broke panel.

Story: 7
Art: 8
Overall: 7.5

Jungle Girl.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:47 am

Animal Man review

The book was decent but I've already forgotten pretty much what happened and it's only been a few days so that's pretty bad. The art was fine but the story didn't grab me nor did anything really stick out in my mind while reading. I guess it's kind of hard to get into a character when this supposedly is his fairwell but still, I would have liked something a bit more gripping.

Story 5
Art 6
Overall 5.5

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 am

thefourthman wrote:Jungle Girl.

I only read the .25 issue. He must have had the same inker and colorist on this as he had on that as it did have a bit of a similar feel to it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 am

amlah6 wrote:I only read the .25 issue. He must have had the same inker and colorist on this as he had on that as it did have a bit of a similar feel to it.

He's a good artist, I just don't know that this is the right vehicle for him. I will say it is less fanboy service than was with Jungle Girl.

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 am

thefourthman wrote:He's a good artist, I just don't know that this is the right vehicle for him. I will say it is less fanboy service than was with Jungle Girl.

As far as second tier DC books go, this was one of the better looking ones I've seen lately. If he can stick to a monthly schedule, I don't see why this couldn't lead to him getting an ongoing gig at DC or Marvel.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:12 am

amlah6 wrote:As far as second tier DC books go, this was one of the better looking ones I've seen lately. If he can stick to a monthly schedule, I don't see why this couldn't lead to him getting an ongoing gig at DC or Marvel.

Who would want an ongoing gig at DC?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:17 am

Did you not read 52 Amlah? Batista was part of the rotation on that.

He also did the excellent JLA: Crisis Of Conscience arc with Geoff Johns and Allen Heinberg.

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 am

Punchy wrote:Did you not read 52 Amlah? Batista was part of the rotation on that.

He also did the excellent JLA: Crisis Of Conscience arc with Geoff Johns and Allen Heinberg.

I've thought about reading the trades for 52, but having read the first and last issues I just can't make myself interested enough in it.

I think I read that JLA arc, but I'm not a big JLA fan so something that might have been "excellent" for someone else would have probably been meh for me.

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:34 am

thefourthman wrote:Who would want an ongoing gig at DC?

amlah6 wrote:or Marvel

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand