Advertisement

Joe Quesada as Editor-in-Chief at Marvel Comics: Y or N?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Joe Quesada as Editor-in-Chief at Marvel Comics: Y or N?

What he's done...makes me hard.
29%
I'd rather Dan Didio. Or Estelle Getty.
71%

Total votes : 14

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Fo Leon
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Fo Leon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:50 am

Shady wrote:I voted No.

Do I think he's doing a better job than Dan Didio? Yes I do, but alot of the bold chances he's taking don't seem to working out for him like before.

The Ultimate line, MK Imprint, storylines, signing of creators (actually, he seems to not be on the same level with alot of them (JMS, Morrison etc.) don't seem to be working out as best as they could.

In short, i think the honeymoon with Quesada is over and he's done a terrific job at marvel, one of the best EIC's in my opinion but he's not doing anything revolutionary anymore. I believe he will stiill be EIC at Marvel for awhile though.

i BELIEVE firmly he's been the best Editor In Chief MARVEL has ever had post-Stan Lee.

i do.

for someone who inherited the company in the troubled waters he did... damn. he sure made that puppy shine.

yes, i believe his past success will allow him (deservedly so) to keep his position for some long years to come, maybe even having a second coming of sorts later on... but right now i do believe he's in his worst moment. the decline has started and it's kinda showing. there's a certain ammount of "exhaustion" that has become noticeable in his interviews and on the way he promotes and hypes certain material.

MARVEL and the industry at large wouldn't have this kind of health if it wasn't for his timely decision-making and risk-taking.

(even if he simply took the BEST from Karen Berger's playbook)
"...it helps us all hold hands across the oceans." Houman Sadri

"Rules are for men, not monkeys. MWO!" Daitong

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:31 am

Fo Leon wrote:i BELIEVE firmly he's been the best Editor In Chief MARVEL has ever had post-Stan Lee.

i do.

Dude, Jim Shooter.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 502 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 am

I have a hard-on for Didio's head.

Like Fo, I definitely think Quesada's probably one of the best EiC's Marvel has had. While quality of the work is subjective, the results he's generating ain't.

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:41 am

john lewis wrote:Like Fo, I definitely think Quesada's probably one of the best EiC's Marvel has had. While quality of the work is subjective, the results he's generating ain't.

QFT.

Shooter is definitely up there too.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 am

Remember, under Shooter Marvel had:

Byrne's Fantastic Four and Alpha Flight
Stern's Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers
Simonson's Thor
Miller's Daredevil
Mantlo's Hulk
Weezie's Power Pack
Claremont's classic X-Man and New Mutants run
PAD's Spectacular Spider-Man

and loads of other great runs.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 am

Fo Leon wrote:yes, i believe his past success will allow him (deservedly so) to keep his position for some long years to come, maybe even having a second coming of sorts later on... but right now i do believe he's in his worst moment. the decline has started and it's kinda showing. there's a certain ammount of "exhaustion" that has become noticeable in his interviews and on the way he promotes and hypes certain material.

Honestly, I think that's when its time to move on. When it just becomes a blur of crossovers and events and "this story will change everything!" month after month, it gets sort of lame. I mean, I was on board for House of M and I actually enjoyed that story quite a bit. It wasn't this huge earth-shattering thing where they kill off everyone and then launch 40 spin-off titles. It was just a cool alternate universe story with the Avengers and the X-Men and it even caused a bit of a ripple through the Marvel Universe.

Then they went and did that stupid Civil War thing. That's where the Marvel Universe stopped being fun for me. It got too "political" and depressing. Since then, I've just been enjoying less and less and it's sort of turning me away from comics all together.

I think Joe Q had an okay tenure at Marvel, but I think it's time to hand the reigns over to someone else. He accomplished as much as he could but now he's just making a mess of things trying to replicate his past success.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:33 pm

Forbush Man wrote:I voted yes as I'm fine with what's going on.

I'm sorry, you can no longer be my underage stalker. I can refer you to Hawk or Fo. :roll: :wink:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:51 pm

starlord wrote:I'm sorry, you can no longer be my underage stalker. I can refer you to Hawk or Fo. :roll: :wink:

But I love you daddy. :) 8) :P
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:31 am

Forbush Man wrote:But I love you daddy. :) 8) :P

My friend, you could not imagine how big of a turn off, the word daddy is, to me. :smt107

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:12 am

nietoperz wrote:Remember, under Shooter Marvel had:

Byrne's Fantastic Four and Alpha Flight
Stern's Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers
Simonson's Thor
Miller's Daredevil
Mantlo's Hulk
Weezie's Power Pack
Claremont's classic X-Man and New Mutants run
PAD's Spectacular Spider-Man

and loads of other great runs.

And this is why Shooter is probably the best EIC Marvel has had.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:29 am

MoneyMelon wrote:Honestly, I think that's when its time to move on. When it just becomes a blur of crossovers and events and "this story will change everything!" month after month, it gets sort of lame. I mean, I was on board for House of M and I actually enjoyed that story quite a bit. It wasn't this huge earth-shattering thing where they kill off everyone and then launch 40 spin-off titles. It was just a cool alternate universe story with the Avengers and the X-Men and it even caused a bit of a ripple through the Marvel Universe.

Then they went and did that stupid Civil War thing. That's where the Marvel Universe stopped being fun for me. It got too "political" and depressing. Since then, I've just been enjoying less and less and it's sort of turning me away from comics all together.

I think Joe Q had an okay tenure at Marvel, but I think it's time to hand the reigns over to someone else. He accomplished as much as he could but now he's just making a mess of things trying to replicate his past success.

QFT.

I'm not slagging on Joe Quesada, I think he's been one of the greatest EIC's Marvel has had but there comes a point in a EIC's career where there level of creativity runs out. I feel Joe is at that point where alot of the idea's he's come up with are stagnant and could be served better if Marvel gave the job to someone else with fresh new ideas.

Do I think Marvel will replace him anytime soon? No and I totally understand why and can't really argue with that. Marvel is making good money with Joe at the helm and the old saying goes " If it ain't broke, don't fix it ".

But getting to my point, he's had alot of success but when your past the point of renaming everything "New" and you have time to go back and fix the gripes you had with the company you had in the past (ie spider-marriage and less mutants) don't you get the feeling he's on cruise control and grasping at straws?

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:53 pm

starlord wrote:My friend, you could not imagine how big of a turn off, the word daddy is, to me. :smt107

:smt073 :smt046 :smt054
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand