Advertisement

Review Group Week 171 - The Boys: Herogasm #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 am

Punchy wrote:You don't like fun?

I love fun, but this just felt like TEAM THE PRO, which is okay, but I wanted a little more... you will see in my review.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 29, 2009 6:35 am

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:09 am

Super late review, but hey, at least I had the restraint to not double dip for once. :D :oops:

I've for the most part really enjoyed The Boys, but this book has me a bit perplexed. I could not be more sick of event books and unnecessary tie-in bullshit so the jokes about that kind of stuff here I really enjoyed, but...

What is Herogasm if not an unnecessary event book? There was nothing here that couldn't/shouldn't have been in the main series. It very directly picks up right where #30 left off.

Maybe down the road it will become clearer why this isn't in the main series, but right now it just looks like an excuse to double-ship the book for a while. That being said, the crass humor was lutz. The Homelander/patriot guy scene... :lol:

If John McCrea didn't work almost exclusively with Garth Ennis, I doubt I would read a lot of his comics. Normally I like artists who have their own very stylized approach, but McCrea just doesn't appeal to me. His storytelling is solid though so other than the out of control nips the art was okay in this.

Story: 7.5
Art: 5
Overall: 6.75
Last edited by ****** on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:18 am

McCrea!

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:28 am

Punchy wrote:McCrea!

yeahfinewhatever :oops:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Anybody read issue 2?
I thought it was a little better. There were a few surprises as far as shock value and the plot started rolling. Anyone think Payback is stupid enough to try to take down Butcher and the boys?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:20 pm

thefourthman wrote:Anybody read issue 2?
I thought it was a little better. There were a few surprises as far as shock value and the plot started rolling. Anyone think Payback is stupid enough to try to take down Butcher and the boys?

I liked it but felt like it was more set-up ala issue one. I thought the Payback thing was what was happening in The Boys right now, with the Stormfront attack and the Crimson Countess on the cover of #32?

I don't know how much longer Hughie and whatsername can continue to be in the dark as to each other's identities. Seems like that might come to a head.

Don't know much about Black Noir.

I'd read more of these over basically anything by Marvel & DC right now.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:21 pm

Yeah, the current arc of the main series is Payback Vs The Boys, upcoming covers feature Crimson Countess and Stormfront.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:18 am

It's pretty obvious that the books are almost running concurrently. Why they felt the need to split it up, I do not know. It is not like Herogasm focuses that much on the event or the bad guys. If they were mirroring events in a more blatant manner then I could understand it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 am

thefourthman wrote:It's pretty obvious that the books are almost running concurrently. Why they felt the need to split it up, I do not know. It is not like Herogasm focuses that much on the event or the bad guys. If they were mirroring events in a more blatant manner then I could understand it.

Well obviously this is taking place before the main book, what with a certain character not being dead.

Who cares whether or not it's in the main book or a mini, as long as it's good, and makes sense in the long run.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 am

Punchy wrote:Well obviously this is taking place before the main book, what with a certain character not being dead.

Who cares whether or not it's in the main book or a mini, as long as it's good, and makes sense in the long run.

here, I'm gonna lay it our for you in the easiest terms I can. While this is not effecting this particular book, line dilution is a bad thing. It generally results in all titles for a character or line selling less while the costs for the books rise. Having four Wolverine books sounds like a great idea to Wolverine fans, and even if all four are phenomenal, it is not a wise business decision, in some ways it is not a business decision at all. The industry as a whole would be better served to start drawering some of these books to help books keep on schedule. If some of the Origins or Weapon X books had been in a drawer while Millar and McNiven were working on Old Man Logan, then the book would have never needed to be late and shops wouldn't necessarily see the numbers of people shedding the title that they are right now.

It's simple math. If one book costs you x to produce and you sell y copies, when you dilute the line you almost invariably end up with 2x being your cost and something like 1.75y being your distribution. (Like I said, it appears that Herogasm is not doing that, although in store sales of issue two have been a might bit sluggish but not to the point where I think we ordered too many). Even fighting standard attrition (which would see corrections when you have big name creative teams doing exciting stories), eventually you are losing your ass when you are spending 4x to generate 2.5y. This causes cover prices to go up, circulation to go down and prices to increase some more.

As much as I love Spider-Man right now, I think everyone would be better served by a monthly book with a bigger page count and a bigger cover price. If we were getting a 40 page book at $4.99, it would still probably sell better than the 28 page book three times a month at 2.99 (sometimes 3.99). then you would be looking at something more akin to 1.25 x = 1.5 y, which is a better business decision.

Yeah, there should be some altruistic value to what a publisher puts out there, it shouldn't all be about the money, but I think if (especially) the big two stopped publishing like rabid fan boys and used a little business sense, their divisions would be a little more profitable and have a little more say in how their business runs outside of the actual comics themselves, instead of the current situation, which looks more and more everyday to be that Marvel and DC are keeping copyrights in play to make money from movies, toys, and clothes. (CAUSE THIS IS THE BULK OF WHERE THEIR MONEY COMES FROM TODAY).

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:02 am

I don't see what any of that has to do with The Boys having one spin-off mini-series.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't see what any of that has to do with The Boys having one spin-off mini-series.

If there is no discernible reason for splitting it off, it could potentially do harm to the franchise. Things that are bad for the industry are pure and simple bad for comics, no matter how good the comic is.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jess Nukem » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm

The reason why Marvel and DC has multiple books of the same character is so that they can try to garner the most revenue in the market share, and also shelf space.

If Marvel did the sensible thing to consolidate all the Spiderman titles into one thick magazine sized book, who's to say that it wouldn't get lost in the sea of Batman spinoff titles? Customers are more like to see four Batman titles versus the one Spiderman title and it may influence their purchase.

I think you have a great point though, Fouthman. I would buy comics, more of them if they were all collected into one magazine ala Panini's reprints. I wouldn't mind spending 5 bucks for a comic that had 100 pages of new material plus ads.

The real test will be when Amazing 600 comes out, that will be over 100 pages of new material for 4.99.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:If there is no discernible reason for splitting it off, it could potentially do harm to the franchise. Things that are bad for the industry are pure and simple bad for comics, no matter how good the comic is.

The discernible reason is that this story is more from the Capes' perspective than the Boys.

Your complaint is silly, you worry too much, this is harmless. I don't imagine anyone will drop The Boys because this is a mini not an arc in the book.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand