Advertisement

Review Group Week 172 - The Last Days of Animal Man #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 am

amlah6 wrote:I've thought about reading the trades for 52, but having read the first and last issues I just can't make myself interested enough in it.

I think I read that JLA arc, but I'm not a big JLA fan so something that might have been "excellent" for someone else would have probably been meh for me.

You really should read 52, it's one of the best things DC have done in a while, and is one of the best long-form superhero stories I've read.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:58 am

It is indeed, really really good.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 am

The more people talk about how great it is, the less I want to read it. It's just one of those things. :smt102

Oh, and...

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/3748/600/

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:07 am

amlah6 wrote:The more people talk about how great it is, the less I want to read it. It's just one of those things. :smt102

Oh, and...

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/3748/600/

You've got hype aversion.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Let the vivisection begin. Much like I'm pretty sure the majority of comic readers have the only exposure you've had to Animal Man are the three Morrison trades which start out great indeed and was ground breaking in the way it ended(the old I've written myself into a corner and this is how I'm writing myself out of it.) I liked Morrison's animal man but thought the end wasn't very good especially looking back at it.

So we begin with Last Days, The art is the first thing that strikes you Batista who I enjoyed on that JLA arc 4 years ago was pretty alright. What I noticed the most was how he was trying to bring Boland's style to the inside of the comic, this is a great effort but eventually just seems to dull as the issue goes on and Batista just wants to get the issue done, I completely understand his desire to just finish the thing as thats how I was starting to feel.

I'm currently reading a, Lose your powers story in The [spoiler]Incredibles[/spoiler] and it's not like it's an original storyline to begin with there either. Spiderman, Superman they've all dealt with it...oh wait so has Animal man back when Morrison wrote it 20+ years ago. The villain Bloodrage....Is this the one blood name Liefield didn't TM in the 90's? A lame villain with a lame name. Of course he escapes of course he's out for Blood. I did not enjoy this issue and the best part of it was the Bolland cover because really Bolland can do no wrong, other than not doing interiors anymore because he wants to do everything from start to finish on his own, Damn perfectionists.

So yeah I did not like this issue and with that I give it a 4 with points being scored for the Bolland Cover.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I'm currently reading a, Lose your powers story in The [spoiler]Incredibles[/spoiler]

Thank the gods you spoiler tagged that, I would have been crushed to find out they were doing a lose your powers story in the [spoiler]Incredibles.:roll: :P [/spoiler]

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:36 pm

amlah6 wrote:Thank the gods you spoiler tagged that, I would have been crushed to find out they were doing a lose your powers story in the [spoiler]Incredibles.:roll: :P [/spoiler]

Hey you never know who's vagina you're gonna fill with sand around here, there's a thread questioning the aging of Thomas and Martha Wayne. Way to not comment on my well thought out and descriptive review though.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Hey you never know who's vagina you're gonna fill with sand around here, there's a thread questioning the aging of Thomas and Martha Wayne. Way to not comment on my well thought out and descriptive review though.

You should stick to your 10 words or less format, imo.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm

The Last Days of Animal Man

First off let me say I've not read the Morrison Animal Man trades or 52 so my experience with Buddy is limited to...well this.

I thought this was the definition of average. Animal Man is losing his powers, wife is giving him a hard time, (I like how she basically calls him a loser now) and he's getting older. Yadda Yadda Yadda. It wasn't terrible by any means but not that good either

That said, the art was a treat. I enjoyed it more then the story.

Will I be getting the rest of this mini? Nope.

5/10 for story

8/10 for art

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:12 pm

amlah6 wrote:You should stick to your 10 words or less format, imo.

You shut your whore mouth.

- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You shut your whore mouth.

:o

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:04 pm

amlah6 wrote::o

As long as it's open. Image

- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:As long as it's open. Image

Herogasm was last week, gentlemen!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Batman and Robin was hella fun by the way. I turned in my review, with any luck I can link and score in the morning!!!

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm

House of J wrote:Herogasm was last week, gentlemen!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand