Advertisement

Review Group Week 172 - The Last Days of Animal Man #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 25 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Heh heh heh.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:05 pm

amlah6 wrote:Image

You lose points for only changing a word.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You lose points for only changing a word.

It's the best page in the issue, it didn't need any additional farking.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 am

I'm not exactly a huge fan of Animal Man. I liked his appearances in 52 and all but it certainly wasn't enough to make me go out and grab anything Animal Man relelated. Odds are, this is one of those comics I would have easily passed if not for this Review Group.

And I'm not gonna go out and get the next issue after this read, so it wasn't enough to make me a fan. Or interested.

Which is typical of this kind of what if story, actually. The last days of Hero "X" has been a running theme in comics over the last decade or so and I believe all the major super-heroes and groups have had minis related to the subject. Now, Animal Man joins that group. The stories can actually be done well but oversaturation has a numbing effect for me. I'm never actually a fan of last adventures whether it's super-heroes or other fiction (though, surprisingly, I love non-fiction detailing this kind of stuff... odd). It's got to be pretty impressive to get me interested.

Still, this story had it's moments. The art was great. It had a sort of Silver-Agey DC quality to it. Very clean. Very smooth. Nicely detailed. The details on Animal Man's powers were also pretty cool. It's probably stuff that has been mentioned before but, to someone who only has a handful of the character's appearances, it's new info.

Everything else is sort of blah. Villain is villainous but nothing to really write home about. He's just sort of going through a script that most of us can see coming before it goes down. Buddy's stuttering powers is always sort of a crappy way to end a hero's carreer. He's losing his powers? That's it? Kinda lame. So the thing probably ends with Animal Man retiring because his powers are gone OR he dies saving lives despite his powers being gone. I mean, those are the two options that story gives us and this thing doesn't seem like it's veer off it's tracks during the telling.

It could pleasantly surprise those that follow it but, if that's how it's gonna go down, I'll save my three bucks for something else.

Last Days of Animal Man gets a 5. Hope it goes better for issue two.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand