Advertisement

Review Group Week 173 - BATMAN and ROBIN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 am

Punchy wrote:Basically, Batman is dead, or something, and the new Batman is Dick Grayson (Nightwing, the original Robin) and the new Robin is Damian Wayne, Bruce's illegitimate son whose mother is Talia (the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul), and he's kind of a dickhead.

Damian makes Morrison's run all worth it. I don't get the interweb hate for him. :?

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:02 am

48THRiLLS wrote:I typically don't read or care for Batman all this DC stuff is throwing me out of my comfort zone :D

This is the longest the group has ever gone without reading a Marvel book. :shock:

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 am

King Impulse wrote:The guy that made your sig

The guy with the best current avatar on the OH.

Starlord betta recognize!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 am

amlah6 wrote:This is the longest the group has ever gone without reading a Marvel book. :shock:

Wow, yeah, 6 weeks without a Marvel comic, that's weird.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 am

Punchy wrote:Basically, Batman is dead, or something, and the new Batman is Dick Grayson (Nightwing, the original Robin) and the new Robin is Damian Wayne, Bruce's illegitimate son whose mother is Talia (the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul), and he's kind of a dickhead.

Thanks. The last Bat book I read was the Gaiman penned one that reviewed here... and that was all over the place if you were a casual reader... it seems like I see nothing but hate for the Bat books here on the forums so maybe i will like it!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:22 am

amlah6 wrote:Damian makes Morrison's run all worth it. I don't get the interweb hate for him. :?

Damian is absolutely the worst part of Morrison's lackluster-anyway run. you're out of your gourd.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Robot Six Chimes in with a positive review as well.

Although I particularly like the part where the reviewer claims that Morrison isn't much for exposition and goes on to state that this whole issue is "set up".

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:39 pm

chap22 wrote:Damian is absolutely the worst part of Morrison's lackluster-anyway run. you're out of your gourd.

Oh noes, that mean man Morrison has introduced a new character intos my comics, make it stop, make it stop!

:P :wink:

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 pm

amlah6 wrote:Damian makes Morrison's run all worth it. I don't get the interweb hate for him. :?

He's a spoiled rich kid brat who thinks his shit doesn't stink. Also given he thinks he is the son of Batman he deserves all the stuff being in that lifestyle gives. And he thinks he's a natural for it. The boy needs some lessons in humility. And a crowbar to the face.
Last edited by Zechs on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:57 pm

Zechs wrote:He's a spoiled rich kid brat who thinks his shit doesn't stink. The boy needs some lessons in humility. And a crowbar to the face.

and I imagine he will get it, I mean Dick does tell him he can get Tim whenever he wants.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:and I imagine he will get it, I mean Dick does tell him he can get Tim whenever he wants.

It's been two years. Morrison better GET TO IT. It's like nails on a chalkboard. You can only take so much of it. Now everytime I open this book or Batman to see the little brat complain and moan how great he is?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Zechs wrote:It's been two years. Morrison better GET TO IT. It's like nails on a chalkboard. You can only take so much of it. Now everytime I open this book or Batman to see the little brat complain and moan how great he is?

the longer it goes on, the greater his fall will be. And Kubert accounts for six months of that two years and in comic book time that is like two weeks.

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 pm

From the flying Batmobile to the crazy (I'm assuming new) villain this had pretty much everything you could want in an action/adventure Batman comic. Morrison is oftentimes his own worst enemy when writing superhero comics but for the most part he stays out of his own way here and delivers a super fun comic that is immediately accessible despite the last convoluted mess of a year in the bat-family books. I loved the interaction between Dick, Alfred and Damian and how it pretty much explained how and why everyone is in the roles that they're in in a matter of pages.

When previews of B&R have been posted on OH, there have been lots of complaints about Quietely's art. Those people are fucking crazy. The design, the textures, the motion, everything on the page really makes it clear that Quitely is one of the top three or four artists working in comics today. Even if his run on this book is going to be short, if nothing else he's given us the best Batmobile in ages. And the splash page with the Paracapes? Gorgeous.

Story: 9
Art: 10
Overall: 9.5

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 78 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 pm

I'll see if I can get a hold of Sire. I've got his email and we usually chat online... though I've been neglectful of that chat for a while. :?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm

You are way too kind fourthman. Way too kind. To me it was average with an awesome beginning hampered by Damien then later on by both him and Pyg. Mr Toad though is awesome.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand