Advertisement

Review Group Week 173 - BATMAN and ROBIN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week 173 - BATMAN and ROBIN #1

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:I just graduated from law school in may, I am preparing for the Bar, I am running for city council and working to afford comics since i don't have loans.

tl;dr

I'VE BEEN BUSY!

Excuses, excuses. :smt011 :P

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Hmm.. I definitely have Bat-burnout after RIP, which I found stupidly anticlimactic like a story that never came together and so was used to direct readers to the event comic by the same writer.

So, I was not excited in the least for this book. Just saying that going into it because it probably affected my opinion of this book.

The cover looked a little better in print than digital, but Damien still looks like a git with a weird shaped cranium (Talia didn't have a gourd for a head, did she?) and Batman still looks like his suit and cape need dry-cleaned and pressed or something. Quitely is one of my favorite artists, I wish there were an inker I could blame this on, but his hatch-lines are getting out of hand. In some cases they are not looking like shading and texture but are making Batman especially look like he slept in his suit for a week in a trash dumpster behind a Wendy's. Other than that, Quitely looks good here.

The new Batmobile is getting a lot of love. Personally, I like the design in Batman Beyond, this thing looks like a ladybug trying to take a dump.

The story's ok, mostly set-up as has been said, but I can't dismiss the lingering bitterness from RIP when I read it. Will any of this go anywhere? Is there any meat to any of it beyond a bunch of scattered ideas and images GM thought were cool? I don't know, but none of the setup here was strong enough to guarantee I'll be back for more. I feel like I've seen the torturer with the pig mask thing before--or it could be the torturer with the baby mask in Brazil, I dunno. Mr Toad? Mildly entertaining but nothing I'll be thinking about tomorrow or next week.

This issue is pretty good, has no real flaws, but I've never been a Nightwing fan. When he was in the New Teen Titans he was my least favorite character, acting like a prig and refusing to give Starfire the ol' bouncy-bouncy. I started to like his last series right before it was cancelled. I'm not sure what the DCU is gaining here by losing Nightwing and having him act like Bruce. Damien...75% annoying, 25% funny--a lot like many OH posters, actually. I'm not sure if I have any taste for him in the Robin role long-term, but maybe.

Five years ago if you'd told me Grant Morrison would be the prevailing architect of the DCU I'd have been thrilled--but now I question his motive at every turn. I just don't want to feel RIPped off again.

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:29 pm

House of J wrote:I just don't want to feel RIPped off again.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 pm

This is coming in my box at the end of the month, and I've already read a couple in my current box showing up tomorrow, so at this point it's wait and not review or obtain it through alternate means but I am excited to see it's reviews, and I've liked Morrison's run so far.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:49 pm

House of J wrote:The new Batmobile is getting a lot of love. Personally, I like the design in Batman Beyond, this thing looks like a ladybug trying to take a dump.

I didn't pay much attention to it when I saw the previews, but when I read this today and realized that the windshield was actually a bat-symbol I geeked out a bit.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Batman and Robin #1

I will start off by saying that I don't get the love for Quitely, I mean the art is okay I guess... maybe his style is just too sloppy for my taste, the lines seem way too squiggly and the faces he draws just seem kinda wonky to me. Aside from that I thought this was pretty good, I don't read any Batman but I was able to hop along quite easily. I liked the interaction between Dick, Damien, and Alfred. The pig dude is straight up creepy, I do have a question... who was the dude on fire or are we not supposed to know? I am not sure that I liked this enough to pick up the next issue since I am a broke motherfucker but if I have extra money I may or may not.

STORY - 8

ART - 6

OVERALL - 7

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:58 pm

amlah6 wrote:I didn't pay much attention to it when I saw the previews, but when I read this today and realized that the windshield was actually a bat-symbol I geeked out a bit.

well that did it and the issue found itself on my computer. I don't feel bad about this since as I said, it's already in my BOC at the end of the month. What a great issue. And Damien is still the character he was when he was created a 2 years ago so at least he's written consistently. It was also really nice to not see Dick screw up. This is what I'm afraid of in Judd's Batman and I liked the last Judd run but I just don't want to see batman fail.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Sweet. Picked this up without realizing it was this week's pick.

And Chap continues to be clueless. Besides El Sombrero, Damien was the only worthwhile thing in Morrison's Bat run.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 839 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:21 pm

So, I took the chance on this and picked it up. I thought Battle for the Cowl was a waste, and I hate Damien but I actually enjoyed this issue. I am kinda confused on how much time has lapse between Battle for the Cowl and this issue, I don't recall it saying so. Perhaps I missed it reading it on the subway on the way home. Anywho, I really enjoyed the story more then I thought I would, considering I didnt think I would like it at all. I loved seeing Gordon on the roof, the new baddies look damn scary (which will fit right in with the rest of the rogue gallery). Will I pick up next ish? Yes, even though I hate Quitely's art. The colours were beautiful, but the faces and squiggly lines just hrt my eyes. The faces look like socks filled with jello. Still, it was fun and I will pick up number #2.

Story: 7

Art 3:

Overall: 5

ps: hows did I do? :oops:

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:ps: hows did I do? :oops:

:smt023

Welcome aboard. 8)

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 pm

Thank ya.

:-D

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I am kinda confused on how much time has lapse between Battle for the Cowl and this issue, I don't recall it saying so. Perhaps I missed it reading it on the subway on the way home.

It wasn't really clear, but the guy with Gordon said that they had been turning on the Bat Signal for a couple of weeks with no response. Maybe that was supposed to be an indication of how long it's been.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Batman & Robin #1

First off, I enjoyed Batman RIP, and I liked Final Crisis overall. I would like to see Morrison teamed with a more grounded writer though (Greg Rucka comes to mind), because he tends to let his ideas overwhelm the plot.

On to Batman & Robin #1.

I really liked this issue. It was a good setup for the dynamic between the new team, with Dick still uncertain about walking in his adopted father's shoes, and Damien continuing to rebel. It's interesting to compare his attitude to that of Jason Todd; I look forward their promised meeting later this year.

The story starts off with the new Dynamic Duo in action, and Quitely just knocked it out of the park here. Some people might quibble with his art style, but his framing is just brilliant. The opening scene feels like a summer blockbuster, and then everything is pulled into smaller panels for some quieter moments between Dick, Damien, and Alfred.

Then, of course, there is the new villain introduced here, who quickly sets himself up to be as creepy and psychotic as any one of Batman's other rogues. I'm glad they decided to start Dick off with a new character; there will be plenty of time for him to encounter the old rogues gallery in the months to come. Speaking of which, the last page of the book gives us a taste of what to expect in Batman & Robin in the coming year. Suffice it to say that Morrison doesn't appear to be done with the story he began in Batman RIP.

Overall, I thought this was a really fun issue. There was some setup going on, but I'm prepared to give Morrison and Quitely some time to get this going, as they always payoff.

Story: 7

Art: 10

Score: 8.5

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:but the faces and squiggly lines just hrt my eyes. The faces look like socks filled with jello.

Welcome!

I am glad someone is with me on the art here.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 pm

amlah6 wrote:It wasn't really clear, but the guy with Gordon said that they had been turning on the Bat Signal for a couple of weeks with no response. Maybe that was supposed to be an indication of how long it's been.

I remember reading somewhere seeing a page of Batman where he is yelling "Batman can never die" or something that says 6 months later.

And that part at teh end of RIP, was that Dick in the outfit aswell?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand