Advertisement

Review Group Week 173 - BATMAN and ROBIN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Sidenote: I can't recall which books I did and did not review over the last few weeks. I think I did Ghost Rider and Phonogram, but I can't recall.

I can submit some short pellet reviews if that would please the powers-that-be. I did pick up all the books, except for Herogasm, but otherwise you may want to chalk it up to things being extremely busy at work for me.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I remember reading somewhere seeing a page of Batman where he is yelling "Batman can never die" or something that says 6 months later.

And that part at teh end of RIP, was that Dick in the outfit aswell?

I would imagine that it was Dick in the outfit, with Damien in the pic as well. Given the "What's To Come" page at the end of the issue...

[spoiler]...he may be speaking to Dr. Hurt the next time the two men encounter each other[/spoiler]
Last edited by MrBlack on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 436 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Welcome!

I am glad someone is with me on the art here.

he is one of those artists I find got worse over time.
but the story was suprisingly good, I will let it slide...

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chubbles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Batman and Robin Review

I actually really liked this issue. I am not a big Batman fan nor a big fan of GM but this was a fun issue. That Pyg dude was totally freaky and I liked that a lot. I wanna see some fucked up bad guys doing messed up shit and this guy looks like he fits the bill. I will echo what some others said in airing their dislike for Damien. He's like an annoying little gnat but he does play a role here. I'll just wait out until he gets what's surely coming his way. I don't like Quitely's style all that much. I think he draws excellent backgrounds and his pacing and layout is awesome but his style of faces just doesn't do it for me. Most people look the same and I just don't like that. This was certainly fun enough to stick out for at least the next few issues.

Does anyone know if this is a mini or a new ongoing?

Story 9
Art 7

Overall 8

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:33 pm

He is in that preview at the end.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:37 pm

New ongoing, at least until Didio pisses off Morrison and reverts things back to the status quo.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:38 pm

MrBlack wrote:Sidenote: I can't recall which books I did and did not review over the last few weeks. I think I did Ghost Rider and Phonogram, but I can't recall.

I can submit some short pellet reviews if that would please the powers-that-be. I did pick up all the books, except for Herogasm, but otherwise you may want to chalk it up to things being extremely busy at work for me.

If you want to do some pellets, that's cool, if not that's cool too. I'm easy. :D

Since your GR and Phono reviews, other than Herogasm we've done Run!, Unwritten and Animal Man.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Batman and Robin #1

It amazes me that Didio has done it again. A man that I supported to his face last year in Chicago has done another bone head move. Putting the least talented writer and hook him up with one of comics top three artists is just down right wrong!

That being said, this wasn't horrible. It's the usual Grant pattern. Impress them at the beginning, make them loyal, then go so far out that nobody understands what they are reading so Grant can tell them they are all stupider than him. Can't wait for this familiar little roller coaster. :roll:

Still, the art was beautiful and I do like Grant's take on Damien. He reminds me of a cross between both tim and Jason. Not impressed at all with the villains, Dick is bland (more impressive as Nightwing) and the alfred I know would have slapped thee shit out of Damien with his first remark. Oh and the Batmobile sucks worse than Grant's entire X-Men run.

Love Quietly though.

Story: 2
Art: 9

My Score: 3

(I like good writing much more than great art)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:02 pm

you gave the art a 9? :shock:

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:02 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:you gave the art a 9? :shock:

yeah? :?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:04 pm

starlord wrote:yeah? :?

my mind = boggled

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:06 pm

I love Frank's art. Though I have to admit that Damien now looks like Stewie, but other than that, it was pretty cool.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah... so I reread this just to look at the art again. I thought maybe I did not like it cuz I read War of Kings before I read this and Pelletier is just incredible and made that issue his bitch... but no, I am out... Quitely's art is not for me I guess.

mike oxbig
cheese

Postby mike oxbig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Quitely is the best artist of the last 20 years and will be looked back upon more fondly than codpiece fetishists like Alex Ross and Jim Lee.

Book it. Done.
Last edited by mike oxbig on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:34 pm

mike oxbig wrote:Quitely is the best artist of the last 20 years and will be looked back upon more fondly that codpiece fetishists like Alex Ross and Jim Lee.

Book it. Done.

Totally agree. (Thought Damien's head still looks like Stewie)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand