Advertisement

Review Group Week 174 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #597

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 am

Punchy wrote:Before the arc began, people were guessing Flash Thompson and John Jameson, but it's pretty obviously Harry now.

Harry does make a whole lot of sense. I think I may get this arc, so I can get to 600

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Harry does make a whole lot of sense. I think I may get this arc, so I can get to 600

#600 is going to be amazing, 100 pages of all new stuff.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Punchy wrote:#600 is going to be amazing, 100 pages of all new stuff.

I know nothing about it. All I know is someone's getting married

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I know nothing about it. All I know is someone's getting married

Aunt May and Jameson Senior

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Aunt May and Jameson Senior

Now that you told me that info earlier, it makes perfect sense

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 pm

There's a lot to like in this issue, but at the same time with it being mid-arc the majority of the setup is already in place and it's not quite to the climax yet either. I think Kelly has a really strong sense of Peter's and Harry's voices, but some of the stuff with the Dark Avengers felt a bit flat. I haven't read any of those characters since Ellisbolts so that might just be me though. The big Spidey/Daken fight in this felt pretty lame, but that's mostly because Daken seems pretty lame. I do however think it's a nice touch to apparently be bringing back Doctor Octopus just in time for May's wedding.

It feels like in the last two issues, the editors are trying to keep the look and feel consistent to what Phil Jimenez established in the first issue of the arc which is good, but Marco Checchetto is certainly no Phil Jimenez. The art here is adequate even if it starts to feel more than a bit rushed with those last couple of pages. Nothing bad enough to complain about, but nothing to praise either.

Story: 8
Art: 6
Overall: 7

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Ha! Looking at how the picks line up, I'm scheduled to pick the day Fat Cobra comes out. Would I dare pick a third Immortal Iron Fist related book? :D

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Dugan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:40 pm

amlah6 wrote:Ha! Looking at how the picks line up, I'm scheduled to pick the day Fat Cobra comes out. Would I dare pick a third Immortal Iron Fist related book? :D

Do you remeber when you refused to read any Fraction books and i (along with Kieran and Fourthman) made you read Iron Fist Vol 1 due to the review challenge and Fraction month? You're welcome. :P

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Dum Dum Dugan wrote:Do you remeber when you refused to read any Fraction books and i (along with Kieran and Fourthman) made you read Iron Fist Vol 1 due to the review challenge and Fraction month? You're welcome. :P

Swierczynski > Fraction

(thank you)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Jason Aaron is writing the Fat Cobra special, so it should be amazing.

He's my favourite writer to make it big at Marvel since Fraction actually, so I'm interested in his take on these characters.

And yeah, #600 of Spidey is going to be the big return of Doctor Octopus, Slott and Romita Jnr, Slott promises to big him up to Norman's level.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Jason Aaron is writing the Fat Cobra special, so it should be amazing.

He's my favourite writer to make it big at Marvel since Fraction actually, so I'm interested in his take on these characters.

And yeah, #600 of Spidey is going to be the big return of Doctor Octopus, Slott and Romita Jnr, Slott promises to big him up to Norman's level.

Doc Ock returns! ohhh

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Punchy wrote:Jason Aaron is writing the Fat Cobra special, so it should be amazing.

I'm kinda worried Aaron will suffer like (I feel) Fraction has. He's doing a brilliant job on Ghost Rider, but his Wolverine isn't living up to what I'd hoped it'd be. I'm not disappointed like I was (am) with Fraction's Iron Man, but I am slightly let down.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:13 pm

King Impulse wrote:I'm kinda worried Aaron will suffer like (I feel) Fraction has. He's doing a brilliant job on Ghost Rider, but his Wolverine isn't living up to what I'd hoped it'd be. I'm not disappointed like I was (am) with Fraction's Iron Man, but I am slightly let down.

I like Wolverine: Weapon X so far, and it's only been 2 issues.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Punchy wrote:I like Wolverine: Weapon X so far, and it's only been 2 issues.

I enjoy it a lot, it just doesn't feel as awesome as what I've come to expect a 'Jason Aaron' comic feels like.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

King Impulse wrote:I enjoy it a lot, it just doesn't feel as awesome as what I've come to expect a 'Jason Aaron' comic feels like.

I suppose there's not enough room for craziness within a Wolverine book as there is in Ghost Rider.

Have you read Scalped or The Other Side?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand