Advertisement

Review Group Week 174 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #597

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm really enjoying Fraction's Iron Man. It's one of the handful of superhero books I haven't dropped. If Salvador Larroca could pick one person to photo reference for Tony and stick to it, the book would be almost perfect

Advertisement

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:30 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm really enjoying Fraction's Iron Man. It's one of the handful of superhero books I haven't dropped. If Salvador Larroca could pick one person to photo reference for Tony and stick to it, the book would be almost perfect

I've gone into detail as to why I hate it and have only ever got 'You're crazy' back as a response, so I've stopped talking about it, or tried to at least.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 702 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 pm

I liked this book, wasn't great, The art, was ok, not as good as Phil Jimenez in the first issue. And frankly, I feel someone annoyed that we only got one issue of Spidey outta him. As for the story, I really do not care about the baby situation that Harry is in, I was more interested in the Spidey stuff thats going on. I kinda figured that Norman would've figured out that wasn't the real Venom once he tried to save him, and all the questions being asked to him. The ending was a little lame knowing he Spidey will make it outta it somehow. The whole American Son thing is not what I expected, and should be damn interesting how this turns out.

The part I loved the best was the Ock tease, I wanna see him crash a wedding. YAY!!

Story: 7
Art: 6

Total: 6.5

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:50 pm

King Impulse wrote:I've gone into detail as to why I hate it and have only ever got 'You're crazy' back as a response, so I've stopped talking about it, or tried to at least.

That happened here? Crazy talk. :P

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:54 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote: And frankly, I feel someone annoyed that we only got one issue of Spidey outta him.

Yeah, if he just has time for one issue he should be doing a single issue story. Since the book went three times a month, this is the first arc where they've really screwed up on the art.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 702 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:08 pm

amlah6 wrote:Yeah, if he just has time for one issue he should be doing a single issue story. Since the book went three times a month, this is the first arc where they've really screwed up on the art.

Exactly.

one that I noticed in the first ish was that Lanning from DnA did the inking, which was somewhat shocking.

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Exactly.

one that I noticed in the first ish was that Lanning from DnA did the inking, which was somewhat shocking.

He's been an inker for a long time, he's done about a dozen issues of ASM this year.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Amazing Spider-Man #597
So this will be the 2nd Spidey book I have read since OMD... and this satisfies my fix till someone else picks this down the road. This was ok, I am glad the Osborne Avengers were in this ish, it was fun seeing Spidey trying to act evil. I was a bit lost on the whole Harry stuff but whatevs... and whats with the pheromones? Where did that come from ...can Daken spray spunk? I know nothing about the dude. Overall a pretty above average comic, the art was about as good as the issue itself, nothing grand but it didn't hurt my eyes either. I like Spider-Man fine just not 3 times a month.

STORY - 7.5

ART - 7.5

OVERALL - 7.5

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

So I literally just read this at my LCS because of the fact that they didn't have the second part. Couldn't buy it. Anyways, the premise of the story is good, but not necessarily executed correctly. I love how Peter is pretending to be Venom, but the fight with Daken was a little lame. (And I'm with everyone else on the Doc Ock tease). The art was decent, not the best, not the worst. And the ending was extremely anti-climatic because you know he's not dead. Anyways, an ok issue.

Story- 7.5
Art-7
Overall-7.25

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 am

Has Daken always had crazy 'pheromone powers'? I would think I'd remember that from Wolverine:Origins.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:09 am

off topic, anyone heard from Ryan the Iowan lately? I haven't seen him around.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 am

Chubbles wrote:off topic, anyone heard from Ryan the Iowan lately? I haven't seen him around.

He's moved his Power Rankings to Kirk Warren's Weekly Crisis site and is currently rather obsessed with Twitter.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:22 am

McKegan wrote:Has Daken always had crazy 'pheromone powers'? I would think I'd remember that from Wolverine:Origins.

:smt102

Daken's about 10 years after his time. He would have fit in perfectly in the 90's... especially the part where he would have been left there.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 am

According to wiki, Daken has phermone powers.

According to me, Daken has suck powers. :)

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 am

Punchy wrote:I suppose there's not enough room for craziness within a Wolverine book as there is in Ghost Rider.

Have you read Scalped or The Other Side?

I was this close to getting The Other Side yesterday, but I was a little short on cash.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand