Advertisement

Review Group Week 174 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #597

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm

This was a solid issue of ASM, lots of interesting developments, and some good art by Chechetto, especially in the fight scene with Spider-Man and Daken. It's weird reviewing something in the midst of a storyline, as normally we are doing a part 1, so it's a different type of story that is required, and as such a different type of review.

Hmm, Saturday Morning.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, I was planning on making it to the comic shop today, but that didn't happen. My wife wants to go to a music shop in Georgetown on Sunday, so I'll probably just get my comics that day and post my review then.

My pick for the review next week is Transformers Spotlight: Cliffjumper.

Now that Simon Furman isn't trying to tell story arcs through these issues, they're back to what they should be: single issue stories highlighting a single character. In other words, it should be easy to jump right into this without getting into too much backstory. Preview is here.

I was tempted to pick Invincible, but it's right in the middle of a big story arc, and I'd like my pick to be new reader friendly.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Oh, I can't go to my LCS next week, but I will be in two weeks

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Damn after this many weeks in a row, looks like I'm out for next week. Sorry MrBlack

On to my review:

Amazing Spiderman #597

So this arc has been great so far and has really shown off why I love Joey Kelly as much as I do. But it hit a misstep with Harry doing his best heel turn and norman apparently shooting Peter in the head. Obviously the latter cant really be true.

The fight between Pete and Daken was awesome as well as Peter doing his best to act evil. I call major bullshit on Norman claiming he knew it was Spidey the whole time.

A solid 8, really not liking Harry over all right now.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:39 pm

MrBlack wrote:Well, I was planning on making it to the comic shop today, but that didn't happen. My wife wants to go to a music shop in Georgetown on Sunday, so I'll probably just get my comics that day and post my review then.

My pick for the review next week is Transformers Spotlight: Cliffjumper.

Now that Simon Furman isn't trying to tell story arcs through these issues, they're back to what they should be: single issue stories highlighting a single character. In other words, it should be easy to jump right into this without getting into too much backstory. Preview is here.

I was tempted to pick Invincible, but it's right in the middle of a big story arc, and I'd like my pick to be new reader friendly.

With as good as the IDW GI Joe books have been, I've been wanting to check out the Transformers books again. This sounds fun.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:43 am

amlah6 wrote:With as good as the IDW GI Joe books have been, I've been wanting to check out the Transformers books again. This sounds fun.

So that's Mr. Black and you getting a review in and me getting one in fashionably (and incredibly) late, huh? :D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:54 am

Transformers?

Oy vey, oy vey indeed.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:56 am

Whenever Cliffjumper speaks in this book, I am going to imagine the Casey Kasem voice in my head which will be awesome.

Postby ****** » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:00 am

SuperginraiX wrote:So that's Mr. Black and you getting a review in and me getting one in fashionably (and incredibly) late, huh? :D

We had 6 for the Cyclonus issue we reviewed, I think we can do better than that this time around. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 am

I'm gonna give Spidey another read tonite and review tomorrow, exclusive to here.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:11 am

Transformers? Really? Dammit, I don't even know if we order those any more.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 am

My pick won't be until November :shock:

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:51 pm

The Amazing Spider-man #597: Kelly/Checchetto Marvel $2.99
I enjoyed the hell out this issue! After the last issue Spidey became Venom and infiltrated The Dark Avenger’s base. Kelly gives what I think is one of the all time greatest lines I’ve ever read in a comic “The only real advantage of posing as Venom (is) I can swear in public without it winding up on Youtube” I couldn’t help but bust out laughing. The fight between Spidey and Daken was made even more enjoyable by Spidey’s wonderful jokes. The ending has me really excited for the next issue and Harry’s storyline is actually becoming really good as well.
9.5/10
It's also my book of the week

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:08 pm

2 weeks, 2 books I have zero interest in. I'll try and check it out this weekend, next week...I doubt it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:15 pm

I guess I might get this, seeing as I have to go to my LCS wed for Cap!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand