Advertisement

Review Group Week 174 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #597

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Next week's book is Transformers, there's no need for an open week or anything like that.

Sometimes we have books that are harder for people to find/offend their personal tastes/whatever, you just have to roll with it. I would like for everyone to review everything, but then again I've reviewed every pick made in the past 2 years so I'm clearly mentally unbalanced.

If someone else wants to do a spin-off thread for Cap, feel free. I don't work on Mondays so I never know how much I'm going to be online. I'll definitely be avoiding the interwebs/traditional media outlets until I can read the book myself.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 pm

amlah6 wrote:If someone else wants to do a spin-off thread for Cap, feel free. I don't work on Mondays so I never know how much I'm going to be online. I'll definitely be avoiding the interwebs/traditional media outlets until I can read the book myself.

And since none of the local shops have it today, I'll be avoiding the interwebs until I can torrent the motherfucker. stupidfuckingcocksmokingmarvelsonsabitches :smt013

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 pm

amlah6 wrote:And since none of the local shops have it today, I'll be avoiding the interwebs until I can torrent the motherfucker. stupidfuckingcocksmokingmarvelsonsabitches :smt013

if there is a shop you are in good with, you should ask if they have that marvel web stuff and get them to let you read it online.

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:if there is a shop you are in good with, you should ask if they have that marvel web stuff and get them to let you read it online.

I've settled back into my never ending X-Files marathon (the Lone Gunmen are ice skating!), there's no way I'm leaving my comfortable air conditioned abode now.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm

amlah6 wrote:I've settled back into my never ending X-Files marathon (the Lone Gunmen are ice skating!), there's no way I'm leaving my comfortable air conditioned abode now.

you could email them and see if they would give you the password :p

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:50 am

ASM review

Solid issue, not spectacular but definitely moved the story along at a decent pace. I liked the fight between Spidey and Daken. Joe Kelly is hands down one of my favorite writers and he mixes in humor perfectly much like he has done with Spidey in the past and his past experience with Deadpool. The art left a little to be desired but was still pretty solid. I'm not sure why they are changing artists it seems with every issue of this arc but Kelly's writing is pulling them through. Cliffhanger was solid also although there's a 99.99999 percent chance the venom suit probably saved him or something like that.

Story 8.25
Art 6.75
Overall 7.5

Hermit_Sage
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:11 am

I currently dont have the funds to buy last weeks comics, hopefully this friday when I get paid and our bills are assessed I will buy last weeks and this weeks books and post a review then.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 am

Amazing Spider-Man #597

Joe Kelly writes an amazing comic. He has all the touches right, there is adequate foreshadowing like when Norman tells the Avengers that he knows where his enemies are. You know he knows that Spidey is there at that point, even if Checchetto isn't quite up to the scripts chops.

I am confused over the pheromone stuff, did that come from Daken our Sprinklers in the ceiling? If it came from Daken, what? If it came form the ceiling, why? Maybe the idea is to show that Osborn and his cronies have figured out every angle. Is Menace in on all this, is it a show to get Harry where Norman wants him? How deep is the conniving here?

The big cliffhanger was a shock and took me aback. Problem is, with the parade there was for the somewhat inconsequential and expected return of Steve Rogers, are we supposed to believe that Marvel kept mum about 598 being the biggest event in Spider-Man, well, ever? Maybe Steve is gonna be the new Spidey and that is why everyone will want Reborn.

The art looks like some Marvel colored IDW/Boom house art. That's not a good thing. Then again Jimenez hasn't exactly been rocking his Spider work either. If I were more interested I would go pull out his old issues and Swing Shift and see if it is an inker or coloring problem, but I don't care enough and this guy isn't even as good as that sub par work. Disappointing really, amateurish at best.

Spidey has been great for a while and this story has been awesome, but this issue feels like a bit of decompressed nonsense with no real meat to it. Solid book, not spectacular or amazing.

Story 7
Art 4
Overall 6 (weighting the story a little heavy for this one, cause it isn't Kelly's fault he got handed a fill in artist)

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:Amazing Spider-Man #597

Joe Kelly writes an amazing comic. He has all the touches right, there is adequate foreshadowing like when Norman tells the Avengers that he knows where his enemies are. You know he knows that Spidey is there at that point, even if Checchetto isn't quite up to the scripts chops.

I am confused over the pheromone stuff, did that come from Daken our Sprinklers in the ceiling? If it came from Daken, what? If it came form the ceiling, why? Maybe the idea is to show that Osborn and his cronies have figured out every angle. Is Menace in on all this, is it a show to get Harry where Norman wants him? How deep is the conniving here?

The big cliffhanger was a shock and took me aback. Problem is, with the parade there was for the somewhat inconsequential and expected return of Steve Rogers, are we supposed to believe that Marvel kept mum about 598 being the biggest event in Spider-Man, well, ever? Maybe Steve is gonna be the new Spidey and that is why everyone will want Reborn.

The art looks like some Marvel colored IDW/Boom house art. That's not a good thing. Then again Jimenez hasn't exactly been rocking his Spider work either. If I were more interested I would go pull out his old issues and Swing Shift and see if it is an inker or coloring problem, but I don't care enough and this guy isn't even as good as that sub par work. Disappointing really, amateurish at best.

Spidey has been great for a while and this story has been awesome, but this issue feels like a bit of decompressed nonsense with no real meat to it. Solid book, not spectacular or amazing.

Story 7
Art 4
Overall 6 (weighting the story a little heavy for this one, cause it isn't Kelly's fault he got handed a fill in artist)

Thanks for the Cap spoiler I was futilely trying to avoid. Dick.

Also, congrats on your 100th Review Group (not including spin-offs) review! 8)

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 pm

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

uggggg I have no clue what kind of score this gets. It's mid arc but for me it's mid arc for the last 50 issues. It had moments. This issue wasn't so much a story as it was moments of several stories and some of the moments made sense and others not so much. The Dakken fight...I know more or less but who the fuck is Dakken? The clever banter was alright. But ultimately the issue suffered from having way too much going on and none of it making sense to a casual reader which I understand since no casual reader in their right mind would pick up an issue labeled 3 of 6. My biggest question, this Menace thing, Ok so I'm assuming she's some kind of weird goblin thing and Harry fucked her(doubt it) why is she walking around in her costume? Wouldn't you I don't know take it off? Maybe wear some street clothes to go with your jew horns? It's ok I'm J double o I can say these things. It was bad ass when Bullseye shot spiderman through the thighs but it was weak when Norman shot him a tranquilizer dart you know why? Because next week Spiderman #598 comes out.

Lets talk Art. It was adequate but not very good. The whole point of having a flagship book like Spiderman is to have flagship artists draw it...oh wait thats right they can't because it's a weekly series.

Overall I give this issue a 4 for effort but still not very successful for me.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:48 pm

amlah6 wrote:http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/3784/600/

WooHoo my score dragging continues.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Daken is Wolverine's son, see Wolverine: Origins and Dark Avenngers.

Menace is Lily Hollister, Harry's ex-Fiancee, she took a new, more powerful version of the Goblin Serum which means she actually transforms into Menace physically, she used her powers to try and ensure her father became Mayor.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Punchy wrote:Daken is Wolverine's son, see Wolverine: Origins and Dark Avenngers.

Menace is Lily Hollister, Harry's ex-Fiancee, she took a new, more powerful version of the Goblin Serum which means she actually transforms into Menace physically, she used her powers to try and ensure her father became Mayor.

Isn't JJJ the mayor? Wow this book fucking sucks.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand