Advertisement

Review Group Week 171 - The Boys: Herogasm #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27388
Likes: 425 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:The reason why Marvel and DC has multiple books of the same character is so that they can try to garner the most revenue in the market share, and also shelf space.

If Marvel did the sensible thing to consolidate all the Spiderman titles into one thick magazine sized book, who's to say that it wouldn't get lost in the sea of Batman spinoff titles? Customers are more like to see four Batman titles versus the one Spiderman title and it may influence their purchase.

I think you have a great point though, Fouthman. I would buy comics, more of them if they were all collected into one magazine ala Panini's reprints. I wouldn't mind spending 5 bucks for a comic that had 100 pages of new material plus ads.

The real test will be when Amazing 600 comes out, that will be over 100 pages of new material for 4.99.

it's not a test though, cause shops have already ordered it and that is what the charts reflect. Captain America will overwhelmingly be the best selling book for this month and I doubt if nation wide there is a 50% sell through rate.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Advertisement

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27388
Likes: 425 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Punchy wrote:The discernible reason is that this story is more from the Capes' perspective than the Boys.

Your complaint is silly, you worry too much, this is harmless. I don't imagine anyone will drop The Boys because this is a mini not an arc in the book.

I already acknowledged both of those, I am talking about a bigger picture. One where Dynamite and IDW (and lots of other smaller publishers) seem to take their cues from Marvel and DC. Spin-off books, multiple books for a title set, variant covers, etc.. are not sustainable business tactics.

It is not a big deal, but it is bothersome.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32056
Likes: 111 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:If there is no discernible reason for splitting it off, it could potentially do harm to the franchise. Things that are bad for the industry are pure and simple bad for comics, no matter how good the comic is.


Here's how I look at it. I'd never heard of The Boys before, until I read Herogasm #1. Granted, it was from the review thread pick but I might've picked this up anyway from the description and content.

Then what the fuck did I do? I bought 2 tpb of The Boys and most of the remaining singles, as well as started picking it up monthly.

Sounds like a terrible sales stragedy, you're right.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32056
Likes: 111 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:it's not a test though, cause shops have already ordered it and that is what the charts reflect. Captain America will overwhelmingly be the best selling book for this month and I doubt if nation wide there is a 50% sell through rate.


The stack of them at the corp. shop in town is absurdly big still.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27388
Likes: 425 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:29 pm

House of J wrote:The stack of them at the corp. shop in town is absurdly big still.

there are corporate shops? I mean we are a chain, but we really have no clue how it happened or what to do with it? :lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27388
Likes: 425 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:31 pm

House of J wrote:Here's how I look at it. I'd never heard of The Boys before, until I read Herogasm #1. Granted, it was from the review thread pick but I might've picked this up anyway from the description and content.

Then what the fuck did I do? I bought 2 tpb of The Boys and most of the remaining singles, as well as started picking it up monthly.

Sounds like a terrible sales stragedy, you're right.

it's not necessarily a poor sales stragedy, but done to the extant it is today is. This is what happened in the ninties, it lead from sales of books in the millions to books that struggle to sell 100k today. When the small companies start to do it, sorry, but I get the chills.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32056
Likes: 111 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:48 pm

thefourthman wrote:there are corporate shops? I mean we are a chain, but we really have no clue how it happened or what to do with it? :lol:


Laughing Ogre.

I was buying mostly independents so I didn't have much choice last week if I wanted Red Mass for Mars.

They're ok, I'm not against them per se, just that sometimes I feel like I have to kick a couple hipsters in the shins to get to the racks and I always try and support a smaller business over a larger one. Too bad most of the little shops suck so goddamned hard.

I'm about this/close to ordering online anyway.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32056
Likes: 111 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:it's not necessarily a poor sales stragedy, but done to the extant it is today is. This is what happened in the ninties, it lead from sales of books in the millions to books that struggle to sell 100k today. When the small companies start to do it, sorry, but I get the chills.


I'm just saying it clearly worked rather well for them in my case.

Herogasm (and the solicits for it) just sounds more interesting than The Boys. I'm pretty sure the first time I read a solicit for The Boys I read "blah blah blah team of CIA ops blah blah blah" and never took a second look. When I read Herogasm was a send-up of Crises and Crossovers, I was interested.

I figured they did it so it was an actual crossover of sorts.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27388
Likes: 425 posts
Liked in: 238 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:54 pm

House of J wrote:I'm just saying it clearly worked rather well for them in my case.

Herogasm (and the solicits for it) just sounds more interesting than The Boys. I'm pretty sure the first time I read a solicit for The Boys I read "blah blah blah team of CIA ops blah blah blah" and never took a second look. When I read Herogasm was a send-up of Crises and Crossovers, I was interested.

I figured they did it so it was an actual crossover of sorts.

probably and that gives the project merit.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 107 guests

Advertisement