Advertisement

Review Group Week 175 - TRANSFORMERS SPOTLIGHT: CLIFFJUMPER

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:15 pm

have we got a pick yet for this next week? I'm about to send my list in to my LCS

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm

starlord wrote:have we got a pick yet for this next week? I'm about to send my list in to my LCS

Not yet.

Hey Ginrai, what the fudge?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 pm

starlord wrote:Transformers

I apologize for this, but I'm about to give a Yonni review.

It was okay. Not being a fan of Transformers I couldn't really get into that much, but I thought both the writing and art was solid. I can see how fans of Transformers would enjoy this.

Story: 6
Art: 7
My Score: 6.5

Bah I write meaningful reviews for the whole family.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:46 pm

starlord wrote:I apologize for this, but I'm about to give a Yonni review.

Needs more profanity and creator name calling. :wink:

Postby ****** » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Punchy wrote:Not yet.

Hey Ginrai, what the fudge?

He likes to take his time with it, draw out the suspense and whatnot.

Yeah... I don't get it either. :? :P

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 426 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Punchy wrote:There's a couple of new books starting.

Gotham City Sirens
Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men crossover
Dark Wolverine (we know Yoni loves Daken)
Immonen's run on Runaways
Dark Reign: Sinister Spider-Man
Dark Reign: Zodiac

Or Dark Reign: Lethal Legion would be fun!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 am

amlah6 wrote:He likes to take his time with it, draw out the suspense and whatnot.

Yeah... I don't get it either. :? :P

I'm easily distracted by the drama of the internet. :oops:

I've also been writing my very late article up and helping my parents out this week while saving the world from (or for) communism (it's actually hard to tell right now).

Anyway, Dark Avengers Uncanny X-Men Utopia # 1 looks pretty. I go for that.

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:49 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Anyway, Dark Avengers Uncanny X-Men Utopia # 1 looks pretty. I go for that.

[center]Image
Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia #1
as selected by SuperginraiX[/center]
WRITER: Matt Fraction
PENCILS: Marc Silvestri

The Dark Avengers take on the Uncanny X-Men! Kicking off the 6-part crossover event, rising star Matt Fraction (UNCANNY X-MEN, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN) is joined by X-artist supreme Marc Silvestri (X-MEN: MESSIAH COMPLEX, CIVIL WAR: THE INITIATIVE ONE-SHOT) to bring you a story that shakes the foundations of the Marvel Universe. When mutant riots break out in San Francisco, Norman Osborn declares martial law and sends the Dark Avengers in to quell the riots and take down the X-Men. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Don’t miss the first Avengers/X-Men crossover in over 15 years! Rated T …$3.99

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 am

ecch!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:52 pm

amlah6 wrote:[center]Image
Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia #1
as selected by SuperginraiX[/center]
WRITER: Matt Fraction
PENCILS: Marc Silvestri

The Dark Avengers take on the Uncanny X-Men! Kicking off the 6-part crossover event, rising star Matt Fraction (UNCANNY X-MEN, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN) is joined by X-artist supreme Marc Silvestri (X-MEN: MESSIAH COMPLEX, CIVIL WAR: THE INITIATIVE ONE-SHOT) to bring you a story that shakes the foundations of the Marvel Universe. When mutant riots break out in San Francisco, Norman Osborn declares martial law and sends the Dark Avengers in to quell the riots and take down the X-Men. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Don’t miss the first Avengers/X-Men crossover in over 15 years! Rated T …$3.99

Oh crap!

Is it just me or does Cyclops's body look weird???

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Oh crap!

Is it just me or does Cyclops's body look weird???

He's got no legs!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Punchy wrote:He's got no legs!

and incredibly long arms.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah, I wont be reviewing this one so I'll give it a 10 because me not reading it is the best thing it can do.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 pm

thefourthman wrote:and incredibly long arms.

And they're in an odd position

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

* *Official SuperginraiX Review* *

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 am

Most people know I love me some Transformers. I've pretty much gushed over everything IDW has produced as far as their mainline Transformers comics go (their luck with Beast Wars and that animated movie mini are not as good). I've loved everything from Infiltration to All Hail Megatron and have done my best to try to get the Review Group to read some TF Comics at every chance.

So, when I say that this is an incredibly mediocre effort, I'm totally serious. The Spotlight series usually does a great job letting us get to know a particular Transformer and shows us how that Transformer is different than the rest. Shane McCarthy's written some great Spotlights since he's been given the reigns of the mainline. Blurr and Jazz were great character pieces and the All Hail series has made some great twists along the way. This story could really feature anyone. Cliffjumper could be Seaspray and there would only be a few changes in the plot to accomodate. It shows us only that Cliffjumper is able to take down a platoon of nameless Decepticons single handed... but that's something that Brawn could probably do as well if you're looking for a tiny terror. As far as personality goes, this doesn't delve into Cliffy's as much as Drift or Blurr's Spotlight did under McCarthy's watch. It's basically a generic story that happens to feature an Autobot in it. It's got some good scenes and plays out well but fails as far as Spotlight goes. And no one transforms. I don't need transforming in my Transformers comics but it's always nice to be reminded what this whole premise is about.

As far as art goes, this thing does a great job. It seems that the only comics that IDW cares about when it comes to art come from Hasbro. I actually ended up dropping Angel recently because I just couldn't put up with their string of poor artists (and the story just dragged to the point of boring when After The Fall ended but I digress). The generic Decepticons look like real 'cons. The colors make everything pop. Cliffjumper looks very cool. Panel flow works well (another problem from recent Angel comics).

So we've got a generic but well told story about an Autobot that looks nice and shiny but could feature a variety of 'bots in the starring role. Still not a terrible comic but nowhere near as good as All Hail Megatron, Spotlight Blurr, Spotlight Drift, or Spotlight Jazz.

Transformers Spotlight Cliffjumper, I give you a 7. McCarthy's weakest effort but it's still a damn Transformer comic.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand