Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:You should have told him that you had to go to a Mutant Birth Regulation rally, that would have been true and probably have worked better.

That sounds like something I would have had to plan for and would have unnecessarily taken time away from me watching the USA/Spain match over the internets.

Advertisement

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:but there is no explanation for it.

Maybe they want you to read the next issue of Wolverine: First Class to find out? :roll:

Jess Nukem
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

They took away his powers which he got back from something Shiar related. Before he got his powers back, he regained the use of his legs due to Wanda's magic whammy. Probably they're both connected?
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:They took away his powers which he got back from something Shiar related. Before he got his powers back, he regained the use of his legs due to Wanda's magic whammy. Probably they're both connected?

he's been able to walk ever since he got shot right before Messiah Complex, shit he was walking when he left X-Men Legacy last week, the only book he has been in since Messiah Complex.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:Maybe they want you to read the next issue of Wolverine: First Class to find out? :roll:

probably. hey it's on the shelf now, nope it's got Dazzler in it.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:21 pm

I roll my eyes at the fool who'd call Silversti a Jim Lee clone. ROLL MY EYES!!!!!!!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:he's been able to walk ever since he got shot right before Messiah Complex, shit he was walking when he left X-Men Legacy last week, the only book he has been in since Messiah Complex.

Well, Chuck in the wheelchair doesn't appear to be Chuck (see last panel of the issue), so maybe Norman and co. just went with the way that everyone remembers him.
https://www.facebook.com/robotswithcoffee

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:he's been able to walk ever since he got shot right before Messiah Complex, shit he was walking when he left X-Men Legacy last week, the only book he has been in since Messiah Complex.
Well obviously, something happened before the events of the one-shot so it's a wait and see scenario. I'm sure Uncanny X-Men will pick up on what happened.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:30 pm

MrBlack wrote:Well, Chuck in the wheelchair doesn't appear to be Chuck (see last panel of the issue), so maybe Norman and co. just went with the way that everyone remembers him.
My guess is that maybe Mystique got recruited by Norman.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Hey jesse are you planning on reviewing? Joining the review group? Or is it the fact that we stepped into your dazzler/northsar universe so you felt like coming in and complaining? I'm going to guess the later.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Hey jesse are you planning on reviewing? Joining the review group? Or is it the fact that we stepped into your dazzler/northsar universe so you felt like coming in and complaining? I'm going to guess the later.
Fine, I'll join and post a proper review in a few. You sure do got lotta sand in that vag-jay-jay. :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 123 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:Fine, I'll join and post a proper review in a few. You sure do got lotta sand in that vag-jay-jay. :P

Also WAY too much Eddie Vedder on his playlist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Avengers/X-Men: Utopia #1

Ah, the X-Men. Wealthy superpowered elitists who constantly break the law and seem to only deal with conflicts through violence and destruction, but are constantly "oppressed" :roll: vs. Norman and his gang. So far I've avoided anything Dark Reignish except FF:DR which is really just Reed Richard on a peyote trip for 4/5 issues, so this is a lot like reading a What If book to me. I guess I don't get a lot of it, like why the smartest member of the X-Men put a group of children, Hellion being an especially unwise pick, in front of a legal march with no violence prior to the X-Men's blatant provocation--the mutants prove their ethical superiority with lines like "Get back to your caves, Apeman!" and refuse to let the marchers pass. THEN comes the violence, natch.

(And that's what I really don't get here--this is obviously one of those ripped-from-the-headlines cases of a writer using a real-life issue (Prop 8, gay marriage) under new code (Prop X, mutants) in such a clumsy, heavy-handed fashion. But it isn't a very good analogy. This would have made me a mormon.)

Beast should be arrested. Perhaps he shouldn't be in a position of authority over kids either, judging from this. And of course, Pixie pays the price. Every X-Men preview I read features the beating of Pixie--"Like Unto a Punching Bag".

Riots ensue, Scott, billed in the caption as the Leader of a People "isn't the King of Mutantland"?!? Much as I don't like Xavier, maybe he should come back--oh goody, there're at least 2 of him to choose from. Machinations between the Norman and Emma, she's such a skigskag, Scott you really need to pay attention.

And in come the Dark Avengerbolts to set up next issues fighting.

I dunno, Hatemonger?

4/10 -- This is comic of the few I've reviewed that I am least-likely to continue to follow, so I have to give it a lower score than Last Days of Animal Man (which I also didn't continue to follow). Sorry I missed the Transgenders pick, I wasn't online that whole time and my shop doesn't have any left.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Man, there's a lot of Beast hate.

Hank McCoy is awesome you fools!

But he probably should go back to being a Monkey.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia #1

Overall, I thought this was an interesting issue, at least enough to suck me in for the whole story (and I'm getting Dark Avengers anyway, so why not!). The setup isn't anything particularly innovative, although Fraction adds a few little twists to make it fresh. Having all of this set in San Francisco obviously creates parallels to the gay rights movement in this country, for good or ill. Additionally, I like the fact that the leader of the anti-mutant group is actually a pretty reasonable fellow, rather than a plainly racist nutjob. He couches his position in a very reasonable way, and he even chides his followers for resorting to slurs to describe the mutants.

In comparison, Cyclops tries to distance the X-Men from the whole thing, even after Beast gets involved and thrown in jail. Once again, Scott continues his tenure as the most ineffective leader in all of comicdom, making no attempt to speak to the press and generally letting the mutant population of San Francisco get so out of control that the Dark Avengers are given an excuse to step in. Yeah, Scott says he doesn't have any authority over mutants in general, but as leader of the X-Men, he certainly has some degree of influence that he simply refused to exercise. I will say that I did like his confrontation with Toad, as Scott actually tried to defuse the situation rather than further inflame it, but dammit if the man has never been able to deal with crises on a large scale.

Emma, meanwhile, acts where Scott refuses to. Having allied herself with Norman, she has to pay the price for Scott's ineffectiveness, although it appears that it's a price she is not entirely unwilling to pay. At issue's end, we find that even Charles is outraged over Scott's inaction, and that he is supporting Norman...or is he?

The mutant/anti-mutant story is okay enough, but I'm much more interested in how the relationship between Scott and Emma is going to play out. Emma is an interesting character: she seems to have the best interests of mutantkind at heart, but she's willing to take rather unheroic steps to further her agenda. She's also not the most selfless person in the world, and she seems willing to take those same steps to further her own agenda as well. The one thing that has put her on the side of the angels has been her relationship with Scott, which will be sorely tested by her open defection to Norman's side. The real question is, why has Emma thrown in with Norman? Is it because she feels that it is in the best interest of mutants to side with those in power, or does she have another agenda?

As for the art, this was better than some of Silvestri's other work, but he's far from my favorite artist. Anatomy is not his strong point (in particular, Beast's face changes from page to page), and he seems to have gotten Loki's current gender mixed up. Aside from that bit of sloppiness, the art was serviceable. I know some people like the "dynamic" artwork of the 90's, but it's just not my style.

Story: 7
Art: 6
Overall: 7

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Punchy wrote:Man, there's a lot of Beast hate.

Hank McCoy is awesome you fools!

But he probably should go back to being a Monkey.

I like Cat-Beast, but he did act like a moron here. HoJ is right on there.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand