Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Punchy wrote:Man, there's a lot of Beast hate.

Hank McCoy is awesome you fools!

But he probably should go back to being a Monkey.

He's usually my favorite X-Man, but they've clearly added Dumb Beast to go along with Dark Beast and Regular Beast.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Did #512 of Uncanny offer any x-planations (heh) for Beast's behaviour? It's an issue focusing on him and his X-Club travelling back in time.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:Fine, I'll join and post a proper review in a few. You sure do got lotta sand in that vag-jay-jay. :P

No just your twat.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Punchy wrote:Did #512 of Uncanny offer any x-planations (heh) for Beast's behaviour? It's an issue focusing on him and his X-Club travelling back in time.

Doesn't sound like it, here's a CBR review:

[spoiler]Plot: The Beast is still on his mission to save mutantkind, and after traversing the far limits of space and magic, the latest frontier is the oldest one: time travel.

Comments: Steam punk is very in vogue right now, and comics are in a way the perfect medium for it. It's not the first time Fraction has flirted with pre-pulp heroic archetypes (he perfected the motif in Iron Fist, especially in several evocative annuals, when he and Ed Brubaker were busy enriching Danny Rand's back story more than ever before). It's not the first time the X-Men have approached the high-tech/low-tech of the Industrial Age (Ellis did it briefly, in a story that was much more style than substance in the uneven "Ghost Boxes" issues). It's not even the first time mutants have been shown to have a stake in the 19th century, as Joss Whedon recently did in his memorable (if much-delayed) Runaways arc.

But this is the first time this new era of Uncanny, relocated to San Francisco with a more public agenda, has really clicked. It's just funny that Fraction had to go back a century to really get a handle on his characters. This is the issue where he makes the X-Men his own.

Maybe it was the freedom of not having the yoke of the rotating artists (the Dodsons and Greg Land) that have made his run thus far more gimmicky than it needed to be. Land's shallow vixens undermined the admittedly thin femme fatales story arc (which mostly served to bring Psylocke back to life, again); and the Dodsons' work, though good, was too jarring a change whenever they took a turn. Paquette, in this issue, draws a cohesive team, be they in contemporary or 19th century guise, and he also has a lot of fun with some of the clever steam punk ideas.

So read this tale and feast your eyes on a cast-iron Sentinel, and watch the machinations of a scheming Hellfire Club back in their epochal setting. I don't quite work out all the ins and outs of the plot machinations (why did Shaw try to steal the very device he and his goons were paying the Bradleys to make again?), but I enjoyed every word balloon from Henry's mouth, and the chemistry between Nicola (the brains) and Catherine (the brawn) Bradley (and their child in the present day, James) makes for an action-packed retro-modern yarn.

And when the tragic end comes, as it inevitably must, Fraction has earned it, because we've met all the players and understand how all the competing motivations just collided so unfortunately. If the book could keep the consistency of this one issue, this could truly be called another great era.

[/spoiler]

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:32 pm

House of J wrote:Doesn't sound like it, here's a CBR review:

[spoiler]Plot: The Beast is still on his mission to save mutantkind, and after traversing the far limits of space and magic, the latest frontier is the oldest one: time travel.

Comments: Steam punk is very in vogue right now, and comics are in a way the perfect medium for it. It's not the first time Fraction has flirted with pre-pulp heroic archetypes (he perfected the motif in Iron Fist, especially in several evocative annuals, when he and Ed Brubaker were busy enriching Danny Rand's back story more than ever before). It's not the first time the X-Men have approached the high-tech/low-tech of the Industrial Age (Ellis did it briefly, in a story that was much more style than substance in the uneven "Ghost Boxes" issues). It's not even the first time mutants have been shown to have a stake in the 19th century, as Joss Whedon recently did in his memorable (if much-delayed) Runaways arc.

But this is the first time this new era of Uncanny, relocated to San Francisco with a more public agenda, has really clicked. It's just funny that Fraction had to go back a century to really get a handle on his characters. This is the issue where he makes the X-Men his own.

Maybe it was the freedom of not having the yoke of the rotating artists (the Dodsons and Greg Land) that have made his run thus far more gimmicky than it needed to be. Land's shallow vixens undermined the admittedly thin femme fatales story arc (which mostly served to bring Psylocke back to life, again); and the Dodsons' work, though good, was too jarring a change whenever they took a turn. Paquette, in this issue, draws a cohesive team, be they in contemporary or 19th century guise, and he also has a lot of fun with some of the clever steam punk ideas.

So read this tale and feast your eyes on a cast-iron Sentinel, and watch the machinations of a scheming Hellfire Club back in their epochal setting. I don't quite work out all the ins and outs of the plot machinations (why did Shaw try to steal the very device he and his goons were paying the Bradleys to make again?), but I enjoyed every word balloon from Henry's mouth, and the chemistry between Nicola (the brains) and Catherine (the brawn) Bradley (and their child in the present day, James) makes for an action-packed retro-modern yarn.

And when the tragic end comes, as it inevitably must, Fraction has earned it, because we've met all the players and understand how all the competing motivations just collided so unfortunately. If the book could keep the consistency of this one issue, this could truly be called another great era.

[/spoiler]

Sound's like a good issue, either way.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:36 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:No just your twat.
Looks like Jonathan is in need of a little ego stroking so I'll fake an elicit response to your weak retort with a nice fresh GIF lifted off from the pages of today's Wolverine: First Class.

"Damn you, joo for hurting my feelings!"

Review in a few. :-D

EDIT: On second glance, it looks like Dazzler's giving a handy J to someone. Probably Wolverine since it's his book and she does need the good exposure after the debacle of NEX and Fraction's Uncanny run so far. How far you've fallen, Mighty Dazzler.:cry:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:39 pm

No ego stroking. I just don't like you and would like you to disappear again, but alas that probably wont happen. At least now I don't have to see your avatar or anything else you write.

Goodbye Maurice.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:50 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:No ego stroking. I just don't like you and would like you to disappear again, but alas that probably wont happen. At least now I don't have to see your avatar or anything else you write.

Goodbye Maurice.
Normally, people who are secure with themselves wouldn't usually announce their new addition to their ignore list in the dramatic way you did.

Anyway, review in a few. :-D

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Who put guitarsmashley in charge of the welcoming comitee?

I wouldn't eat any of his cupcakes; there's arsenic in them.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:00 pm

McKegan wrote:Who put guitarsmashley in charge of the welcoming comitee?

I wouldn't eat any of his cupcakes; there's arsenic in them.

You fucking love my cupcakes.

- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:06 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You fucking love my cupcakes.

I don't know...they are yummy. It's the whole passing out and waking up 12 hours later with a sore a-hole that I'm not a fan of.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:09 pm

McKegan wrote:Who put guitarsmashley in charge of the welcoming comitee?

To know Yoni is to disregard everything he posts.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Did this issue set a record for most pencil assists/inkers on a single issue?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:20 pm

amlah6 wrote:To know Yoni is to disregard everything he posts.

Well you're off the christmas card list.

- Les Paul

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

how about a review!

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia

I don't read the X-books, just not enough money to get emotionally invested in 'em, I like them fine but I don't know shit about them. However I do read and enjoy Dark Avengers and since this will be spilling into 2 issues I might as well get acquainted.

Matt Fraction does a really good job introducing the main players for a-holes like me, I may not know who some of he b-listers are but it looks as if I won't need to. This was basically a set up issue which the standout moment was Ares drawing his line in the sand, I have been waiting to see some Ares badassness and have had enough of him seeming like a dope (he's the God of freaking War!). I thought Fraction's dialogue was great, he seems to have a good feel for Normies Avengers and I bought right into his X-Men without much prior knowledge. I do have some questions... do we know how Xavier was captured and what is the significance of Emma wearing black? Could Norman's Professor X be The Sentry using his psychic skills that have been sort of forgotten about? The art was a mixed bag of great and WTF, I have never seen Osborn drawn so inconsistently but there were some panels that were just gorgeous... I will say that Silvestri draws some beautiful women. I may as well collect the Uncanny issues since the DA issues would not make sense without em (thanks Marvel) This was somewhere between OK and good.

STORY - 7.5

ART - 7

OVERALL - 7.3

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand