Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:51 am

guitarsmashley wrote:I have not, The third season so depressing it's amazing. I've got to finish burning the dvd's but yeah I love moral, The last episode is just so great and Clay is a dick.

The way the series ended is possibly one of the best things ever put on television and the last few episodes built everything up in such a dark and depressing way that I was surprised Moral got a happy ending. Probably the biggest surprise to ever come on adult swim in my mind.

From the coach to the subplot with Clay everything really hit on all notes. Loved Morel's dick friend who met his real mother.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:52 pm

doombug wrote:The way the series ended is possibly one of the best things ever put on television and the last few episodes built everything up in such a dark and depressing way that I was surprised Moral got a happy ending. Probably the biggest surprise to ever come on adult swim in my mind.

From the coach to the subplot with Clay everything really hit on all notes. Loved Morel's dick friend who met his real mother.

I skimmed that episode, was the nurse actually his mom? Shit, this always happen. Fuck you, you MCR loving cutter.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:34 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I skimmed that episode, was the nurse actually his mom? Shit, this always happen. Fuck you, you MCR loving cutter.

:-D :cry: Sorry dude, I didn't mean to completely spoil that for you. When you watch the episode you'll understand all.

The new show has something to with Frankenstein, famous people and time travel. So we'll see how it does.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:12 pm

oh damn this is the book! hmmm I wanted it too!

ok I will have to maybe put my comics this week on a credit card so I can get em.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:oh damn this is the book! hmmm I wanted it too!

ok I will have to maybe put my comics this week on a credit card so I can get em.

Just copy and paste my review (when I actually get to it).

Actually, if you find a way to get up here, I'll buy you a copy.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Sorry guys, I won't be getting this until this Wednesday. So my review is going to be late. :(

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:32 pm

starlord wrote:Sorry guys, I won't be getting this until this Wednesday. So my review is going to be late. :(

No worries, post it when you can. :-)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:41 pm

starlord wrote:Sorry guys, I won't be getting this until this Wednesday. So my review is going to be late. :(

I'm sure they'll have a lot of them left.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:40 am

amlah6 wrote:Well played sir, any pick that can make Lee cry is okay in my book.

[center]Image
Justice League: Cry for Justice #1
as selected by doombug[/center]
Written by James Robinson
Art and covers Mauro Cascioli

What brings a team together? Justice! Batman and Martian Manhunter have been slaughtered. But he's not the only hero to fall at the hands of villains. The murder has to stop, and it's time to take the fight to the bad guys! Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Atom, Shazam, Congorilla and Starman unite in a cry for justice!

This 6-part miniseries from James Robinson (STARMAN, SUPERMAN) and rising star artist Mauro Cascioli (TRIALS OF SHAZAM) pushes our heroes to the brink and beyond as evil can no longer be tolerated to win. But when Prometheus plans his revenge on not only the heroes, but on the very places they call home, will this new team be ready to pay the cost for the justice they seek? This time it's personal – and it'll only get more bloody before it's over!

DC Universe | 40pg. | Color | $3.99 US

I'm really excited for this.
I don't know which cover to get. I think this one......

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:47 am

Utopia review

I liked this issue a lot. I thought the story was pretty interesting and the art was also very good. I like how both sides are being portrayed as being both right and wrong. That's one of the things I loved about the Civil War. Marvel is not afraid to have the MU be filled with 'gray' characters and not the typical black and white which are normally seen in comics. I've come to the conclusion that Cyclops is a dick and needs to have his ass royally handed to him very soon. Ares is also quickly becoming a favorite of him as he has established himself as a totall badass. I don't read the ongoing X-books outside of X-Force but this crossover will force me to pick up at least a couple. Maybe I'll be converted, maybe I won't. Either way, I like where this event is going and I will be sticking it out.

Art 8.5
Story 8.5
Overall 8.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Review time.

I have not read an X-men comic outside of the group for a long time(morrison's run followed by the first quarter of whedon) other than Old man logan. I also haven't been exposed to a comic by fanboy love interest Matt Fraction that I loved either. So I came into this with optimistic yet jaded thoughts.

What I found was something I've come to expect from Fraction written books, a jumbled mess with a couple of nuggets here and there. I was always willing to blame artists for the story being disjointed whether it be Gabriel Ba or David Aja(trying way to hard to be Alex Maleev) they just couldn't translate Fraction's scripts to panels and pages well after seeing what Silvestri put out I suddenly think that maybe the issue is with Fraction. I haven't read a comic by him that didn't flow from panel to panel. I'm not completely ready to give up on fraction but I don't think I can read anything by him without having this very jaded first opinion.

The story suffers from what a lot of "event" comics suffer from no matter how large or small they might be, it's an editorial mandated story that is already laid out with or without the writer, problem is I just have a feeling Marvel talks to Fraction a lot so he probably sat with Brubaker and Bendis to come up with this ridiculous story. We start with a riot, now I wont go into who is at fault for the riot or who started it but where it all really goes wrong is the dialogue during the riot. The great thing about comics is they are a visual medium and don't always require dialogue and narration. The riot could have benefited from showing us violence not showing it and telling us it was happening. This was just bad form, and the eventual addition of the Dark Avengers felt very tacked on and barely fleshed out.

And then the final reveal... this was maybe handled the worst out of the entire issue. If the whole point is to show that Norman doesn't mind replacing people with doppelgangers then we learned that months ago with the formation of the Dark Avengers. in addition who could feel surprised by the fact that there is a fake professor when he's on the same page as his replacement, and not very well drawn either.

This brings me to the art, I like Silvestri and had he actually drawn the comic it might flow a little better, maybe here is where I blame Fraction unjustly since his script was handed off to a dozen and a half people to draw and there is no way they just did pages. No we have to be looking at panel to panel artist differences. I'd be curious to see just how much Marc actually did. And I like Marcs' work but this was not his work it was his and his sycophants. And as a result we get what could be a disjointed script being drawn by a disjointed art crew.

and for Punchy's information the best line of the book was, "Hey man, if you need to go..."

total score is a 4 for effort.

Take that anyone who says I don't take this seriously.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:59 pm

That was a good review Yoni.

See what happens when you post more than just vitriol? Good things.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Wait Yoni likes the morrison run? I did not expect that. Goddamn you! :-D

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 pm

doombug wrote:Wait Yoni likes the morrison run? I did not expect that. Goddamn you! :-D

No, I love the Morrison run. So much so that I can't decide if I want to e-bay my Omnibus since I can get $160 for it when I only paid $49.99 for it.

- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:No, I love the Morrison run. So much so that I can't decide if I want to e-bay my Omnibus since I can get $160 for it when I only paid $49.99 for it.

As long as you have all the single issues I'd say it's a good idea.

And why am I starting to think we had more in common then originally thought?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand