Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Gonna try and bust out a quick review, but you know what my "quick reviews" are like.

It was a solid set-up issue. Here is the problem, here is Norman Osborn, he is going to solve this problem, here is how he's going to do it, here is a big twist to get you to buy the second issue. I liked it well enough, but not enough to carry on, if at some point in the crossover either Charles Xavier or Moonstone DIE HORRIBLY then I'll definitely check it out retrospectively. I liked that Fraction had mutant-on-mutant violence as well as a strict human v mutant fight, and I don't remember ever seeing that Oynxx guy, but he looks pretty cool, right?
The art? Hmm, I like Silvestri a lot, he's a guilty pleasure sure, but I like him, but when you need as much assistance in ONE FUCKING ISSUE you need to rethink how you do your job. Art was servicable, would have been nicer if he drew the damn thing fully.

Story - 7
Art - 6
Overall - 7
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm

doombug wrote:As long as you have all the single issues I'd say it's a good idea.

And why am I starting to think we had more in common then originally thought?

cuz we do this everyonce in a while when you see how much I hate then you realize we hate the same things, and no I don't have the singles. Money is just tight and it be nice to have $150 to just be mine.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:43 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:cuz we do this everyonce in a while when you see how much I hate then you realize we hate the same things, and no I don't have the singles. Money is just tight and it be nice to have $150 to just be mine.

Actually I really was just fucking with you. Just didn't want to admit it. I was going all andy kaufman as much as I could without breaking character this round. :-D

If you really need the 150, I'd say do it. It's not like it's signed or anything. If that were the case I'd say definitely keep it. Besides you can just get the run again later in the future if you need to.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:07 pm

I had a hell of a time getting into this week's book. I must have picked it up and put it back down 3 or 4 times. While I have read X books in the past they're not something that I'm all that interested in but my apathy towards the X books has nothing on this Dark Reign bollocks. Seriously, there's more tie-ins for this thing than there was for Civil War and Secret Invasion combined. I should probably send Bendis and Quesada thank you cards for doing such a masterful job on cutting down my pull list.

The story here is combination tried and true mutants as minorities mixed with setup for the Dark X-Men which I suppose is great if you're in to that kind of thing. Mostly I just kept thinking that I have no idea who all of the non-classic/astonishing characters were. Other than the little bit with Colossus and Scott's line about Ares, there was nothing for me to like or connect to in this comic.

With all the in-thread back and forth I don't think the story is all that unclear about what started the initial riot. If there's any confusion with the events that are taking place in the book it's a direct result of the horrid art. Inconsistencies from panel to panel are the norm rather than the exception and with the army of Top Cow clones you would expect a bit more detail than what often shows up. As much as I love Frank D'Armata's colors in Cap, they make my eyes bleed here. I just don't dig the plastic sheen that the colors give the characters. All in all, this was probably the ugliest book we've ever reviewed.

Story: 5
Art: 1
Overall: 3

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:I had a hell of a time getting into this week's book. I must have picked it up and put it back down 3 or 4 times. While I have read X books in the past they're not something that I'm all that interested in but my apathy towards the X books has nothing on this Dark Reign bollocks. Seriously, there's more tie-ins for this thing than there was for Civil War and Secret Invasion combined. I should probably send Bendis and Quesada thank you cards for doing such a masterful job on cutting down my pull list.

The story here is combination tried and true mutants as minorities mixed with setup for the Dark X-Men which I suppose is great if you're in to that kind of thing. Mostly I just kept thinking that I have no idea who all of the non-classic/astonishing characters were. Other than the little bit with Colossus and Scott's line about Ares, there was nothing for me to like or connect to in this comic.

With all the in-thread back and forth I don't think the story is all that unclear about what started the initial riot. If there's any confusion with the events that are taking place in the book it's a direct result of the horrid art. Inconsistencies from panel to panel are the norm rather than the exception and with the army of Top Cow clones you would expect a bit more detail than what often shows up. As much as I love Frank D'Armata's colors in Cap, they make my eyes bleed here. I just don't dig the plastic sheen that the colors give the characters. All in all, this was probably the ugliest book we've ever reviewed.

Story: 5
Art: 1
Overall: 3

Somebody call the police. I have obviously killed amlah and written his review.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Somebody call the police. I have obviously killed amlah and written his review.

obviously would have read like this:
What the fuck was that? The X-Men suck. Fraction Sucks. Silvestri sucks. But mostly the jack ass that picked this book sucks.
Score 2

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 pm

[quote="thefourthman"][/quote]

You would be next on the kill list.

- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:35 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You would be next on the kill list.

ooohhh... shaking in my boots :roll:

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Somebody call the police. I have obviously killed amlah and written his review.

Fucker. I spent almost 5 minutes on that. :smt013

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Why don't you like Dark Reign Amlah? It's good comics.

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Just double checking to see if I missed any reviews in all of the fuzziness...

thefourthman - 7
House of J - 4
MrBlack - 7
48THRiLLS - 7.3
GLX - 7
Daringd - 9.6
Kerny - 5.25
doombug - 7.5
Punchy - 6
Chubbles - 8.5
guitarsmashley - 4
King Impulse - 7
amlah6 - 3

Postby ****** » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Punchy wrote:Why don't you like Dark Reign Amlah? It's good comics.

Replace Tony Stark with Norman Osborn and Pro-Registration with Villains and it's just Civil War done to the extreme.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 pm

amlah6 wrote: Seriously, there's more tie-ins for this thing than there was for Civil War and Secret Invasion combined.

While there is some truth there, I am getting by okay without getting any of the mini's... I will admit that I am not all that thrilled about how Uncanny X-Men and Dark Avengers are being tied together but other than that I have been enjoying DR

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:47 pm

amlah6 wrote:Replace Tony Stark with Norman Osborn and Pro-Registration with Villains and it's just Civil War done to the extreme.

that's kind of why i like it :?

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 pm

Chubbles wrote:that's kind of why i like it :?

I am just glad that we are back to good guys versus bad guys and no more skrulls!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand