Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:56 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I am just glad that we are back to good guys versus bad guys and no more skrulls!

and no more good guy on good guy. That was getting played out after awhile.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 pm

amlah6 wrote:Replace Tony Stark with Norman Osborn and Pro-Registration with Villains and it's just Civil War done to the extreme.

I definitely killed you and have been posting as you.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:43 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I definitely killed you and have been posting as you.

You should kill Punchy next so you can post his reviews and make them shorter. :D

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:40 am

48THRiLLS wrote:You should kill Punchy next so you can post his reviews and make them shorter. :D

you buy my plane ticket and I'll take him and twig out. 2 for 1 deal that's a bargain hunting if I've seen one.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:53 am

amlah6 wrote:Replace Tony Stark with Norman Osborn and Pro-Registration with Villains and it's just Civil War done to the extreme.

And Civil War was great too!

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 am

Punchy wrote:And Civil War was great too!

The event itself was okay, but I didn't care for the way it splintered out to effect the majority of the books in the Marvel U in essence having the same types of stories told in every book just with different characters and this has done the same thing even moreso. Having Norman Osborn in every book isn't fun, it's just repetitive (and a mostly watered down take on Warren Ellis' revitalization of the character.)

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 am

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:24 am

amlah6 wrote:The event itself was okay, but I didn't care for the way it splintered out to effect the majority of the books in the Marvel U in essence having the same types of stories told in every book just with different characters and this has done the same thing even moreso. Having Norman Osborn in every book isn't fun, it's just repetitive (and a mostly watered down take on Warren Ellis' revitalization of the character.)

I actually think Marvel have done a good job at maintaining variety within the Dark Reign umbrella.

Agents Of Atlas, Dark Avengers, Thunderbolts, Mighty Avengers, Iron Man, War Machine, all have different tones and takes on Norman's reign.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Punchy wrote:And Civil War was great too!

See here I'll have to disagree with you. Millar wrote at least a third of the characters out of character and too much of the story was told in other titles and not the main book. It just doesn't hold up.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:27 pm

doombug wrote:See here I'll have to disagree with you. Millar wrote at least a third of the characters out of character and too much of the story was told in other titles and not the main book. It just doesn't hold up.

I still feel like Civil War worked by itself, it is hard for the hardcore to see that though, cause they read everything. I was reading a lot less Marvel then and had no problems at all.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:33 am

I enjoyed it, I am a huge Silvestri fan aswell as a big Mutant fan, and shockingly a huge Dark Avengers fan. The story piqued my interest enough to pick up the rest of the crossover. I do love the lineup of the Dark Xmen even of the concept of the team is a little meh. But Namor, Cloak and Dagger, Mimic all on one team? How can that NOT be awesome.

I loved the art, as I said early I am a huge Silvestri fan. I loved him ever since his Xmen days back when the comics were so fucking good. Sorry this is late and so short, I am hungover and this has been a brual week of work.

Art: 8
Story: 7

Overall: 7.5

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Dark Regin: Utopia #1

My review is even later, but I will have to say that it was worth the wait. A well crafted story that has set the stage for what could be the biggest Earth conflict of the year.

Did Punchy state his favorite line? Just curious if it was the same as mine. Loved the true beievers line at the beginning.

Now if this story puts Emma squarely back in the bad guys corner where she belongs I may end up loving this more than War of Kings.

I thought everyone's character was dead on and I'm surprised at how much I'm loving everything Dark Reign; however, this could be the hilight of Marvel's giant arc.

The art is okay. Not a huge fan, but I've seen worse, I guess.

Story: 8
Art: 5.5
My Score: 6.75

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:51 pm

My favourite line was Ares drawing his... well, his line.

But I did like the True Believers, and would have commendted on it in my review, but it was long enough as it is.

It was almost a meta-textual comment on crossovers. Here you go true believers, here's the big event, now watch the fights.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 pm

starlord wrote:Dark Regin: Utopia #1

My review is even later, but I will have to say that it was worth the wait. A well crafted story that has set the stage for what could be the biggest Earth conflict of the year.

Did Punchy state his favorite line? Just curious if it was the same as mine. Loved the true beievers line at the beginning.

Now if this story puts Emma squarely back in the bad guys corner where she belongs I may end up loving this more than War of Kings.

I thought everyone's character was dead on and I'm surprised at how much I'm loving everything Dark Reign; however, this could be the hilight of Marvel's giant arc.

The art is okay. Not a huge fan, but I've seen worse, I guess.

Story: 8
Art: 5.5
My Score: 6.75

You were just waiting to make sure HOJ was good and gone before you posted that sentence. :P

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 pm

Punchy wrote:My favourite line was Ares drawing his... well, his line.

But I did like the True Believers, and would have commendted on it in my review, but it was long enough as it is.

It was almost a meta-textual comment on crossovers. Here you go true believers, here's the big event, now watch the fights.

exactly why I liked it. Though the Ares line was exceptional as well.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand