Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:55 pm

starlord wrote:exactly why I liked it. Though the Ares line was exceptional as well.

It was the most 'Matt Fraction' part of the issue, it reminded me of the kind of thing he'd do in Casanova, but a bit more subtle.

Advertisement

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

* *Official SuperginraiX Review* *

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Leave it to me to be the last one to review for my week, huh?

Anyway, it's good stuff. I'm already getting a little tired of the X-Men being the establishment over in San Francisco and this series looks like it might change that. The X-Men work best when they're outsiders instead of being a community. I don't know if the book will lose that community stance but I think it would benefit from it. The issue itself was pretty standard at first glance but is also pretty layered up. Even the riot that culminates in the Dark Avengers coming in a police action is suitably vague. You can blame the mutants, you can blame Humanity Now. Just like real life, we aren't simply given answers (though Trask is a major douche).

The same goes with mutants in general. You've got people that are always armed. How do you deal with that? Sure, they may be good guys but there's always going to be one that crosses the line. As such, Humanity Now has a lot of good points even though controlling someone's baby making abilities goes over the line (and is probably meant to reflect the gay marriage issue since that's what the X-Men have been reflecting for the last couple of years).

What the X-Men could use is a good PR department. Cyclops is the best tactitian in the Marvel Universe but he's not good with people. He's made a good speech here and there in his career but it's best left to people who know how to handle the public. In contrast, Norman Osborn is a smooth operator who knows how to sway public opinion. Not as great of a leader but he's got some incredibly powerful living weapons at his command.

The twist at the end of Xavier already being captured and replaced by a doppleganger isn't especially brilliant or original but it at least explains why Xavier joins the Dark X-Men. I'm of the belief that the X-Men are more interesting without Xavier around so I'm hoping the real deal doesn't hang out much after this crossover. I guess we'll see.

Everything else is good times. You get some Dark Avengers mixing it up with some X-Men in a city torn apart by violence. That always fun.

Utopia you get an 8.5. Good job!

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand