Advertisement

Review Group Week 177 - JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:43 am

Zechs wrote:Yuck.. then. Thank God I won't be reading JLA then when he moves to that. So wait you're saying GLC, CB & MI 13, and Capt America are horrible taste? :P

hmm, you might have a point. I take that back Sir. I meant to say, "Mr. Horrible Tase in Women Heroes." :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 am

God Ducky could you be anymore wrong?

Justice League of America: Cry for justice #1

So whenever you usually here James Robinson's name his brilliant work on Starman comes to mind and honestly after reading up to almost 40, I'd definitely say the man get's a lot of credit. Everyone was excited for this when it was first announced and I was looking heavily forward to the ongoing.

Here James sets up the characters abd relays the theme of justice throughout. I thought the strongest moments came from the meeting of the ray's, mikaal and congorilla. Obviously the team itself wont start forming until next issue and this was mostly set up. But James had everyone's voices correct to a great level referencing small little tidbits like neal adams classic gl/ga road trip stories and starman.

We even get a 2 page back up from one of comic books legends, len wein. The art was surprisingly spectacular and I truly wish he could keep up a monthly schedule.

Then there was the back matter...soo good to see actual back matter back in a dc comic book. James definitely enjoys talking and giving his readers some great behind the scenes material.

All in all this was a great read and felt just as strong as Justice and Brad's reboot of the league.

Story: 9
Art:10

Over all grade: 9.5

Line of the book: "He's a hero, I'm Ray Palmer. Welcome to PAIN."

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:58 am

doombug wrote:God Ducky could you be anymore wrong?

Wrong? You're all wrong and I am so right my foolish underling. You and the others are all blinded by the past with Starman to understand what Robinson did here. It's just awful. Oh, Hal, Ray, Monkey, and Starman are into JUSTICE. Yeah about that justice. Hal's going after Libra right? Oh wait he isn't. Ok ok.. but he is going after the Human Flame right? Oh no he's not doing that too. Ok ok, what about the Black Glove organization you know the one who started this whole damn mess with Batman? OH NO they're not going after them too.

No they have to go up against Promtheus who has no UTTER connection to Final Crisis. Yep.. what happened to that JUSTICE concept on avenging Bruce and J'onn again? One minor fire put out for JUSTICE and then Robinson gets to drop all this clutter and focus on a REAL TEAM. Hopefully one that doesn't have Hal, Bat fake, or Ollie on it.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 47 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:48 am

Justice League: Cry for Justice #1

Despite being a setup issue, this was a really fantastic comic. While the idea of a proactive League has been done before, the setup in this case is much more personal. Each of the team members has suffered a major loss, and they're out seeking justice, rather than vengeance. I love the fact that Robinson played up Hal's roll as a Green Lantern rather than just a superhero. As Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi has emphasized in the Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps comics, the Lanterns are a police force, and it makes sense for Hal to step up and take more initiative with the League. I also love the fact that Ollie is willing to back up his friend, even though he doesn't necessarily agree with him. I look forward to Ollie, the old liberal, being the conscious of the team.

The moments between Ray and Ryan were quite nice, and I'm glad to see Ryan get some support from his mentor. The All-New Atom series under Gail Simone was excellent, and I don't want to see Ryan Choi shuffled off into the background, only to end up as cannon fodder in a summer crossover five years from now.

I too thought that the strongest character moments involved Mikaal and Bill. Mikaal's kept a low profile since Robinson ended his Starman series, and I'm glad to see him finally stepping back into the superhero role. Bill is an interesting character, and I can see shades of Alan Moore's "Twilight of the Superheroes" in the quandry that Bill finds himself in. I'm very interested in seeing where Robinson takes these two characters.

The text piece in the back of the issue was great fun. I always find it fascinating to peek behind the curtain, as it were, and see what the writer was thinking about as he wrote the story. I am also very eager to see some of the guest stars that will be showing up during this series. Robinson always does well by Jay Garrick, and the thought of him writing the Shade again fills me with glee!

The art was stellar. Not much more to say than that. As we can see from the text piece, Cascioli's pencils are very detailed, and, unlike some other painters in the industry, his colors are crisp and vibrant. Really excellent stuff.

Overall, I thought this was a great issue. Sure, it's all setup, but it was done so well that I can't help but think that this may go down as one of the all-time classic Justice League stories even going by the first issue. I'm dying to read issue #2, and you can't ask for more than that from a comic.

Story: 10
Art: 10
Overall: 10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Justice League: Cry For Justice #1(of 7) - 'The Beginning' - Robinson and Cascioli

Story - I've never been a big fan of the Justice League, I mean, I like a lot of the individual characters and there have been good stories told with the team, mostly by Grant Morrison, Mark Waid in the 90s and Giffen and DeMatteis back in the 80s. Perhaps it's the fact that most of the League have their own ongoing series and as such, not much can really happen that's of any importance, and is often trapped by what happens elsewhere in the DCU. I certainly feel that way about DC's current JLA book, which is just a mess of epic proportions, we all know how Dwayne McDuffie was screwed, I won't go into it, but yeah, not a JLA fan.

But I am a James Robinson fan, almost solely because of his 90s opus Starman, which I am currently loving in Omnibus Hardbacks, but also for his current work on Superman, which is lyrical and interesting, last week's #689, where Mon-El traveled the World was beautiful. So what happens when James Robinson meets the Justice League, and a team made up of mainly C-Listers where interesting things can actually happen? The answer: Good things, this was a very solid comic, with a good grasp of character, and some beautiful artwork, but I can't help but feel that this initial chapter was a bit lacking, and the story will work much better as a whole.

The premise of this book is that Hal Jordan, the DCU's most infantile hero is annoyed that Martian Manhunter and Batman are dead, and the current JLA aren't doing anything about this. He is seemingly unaware that a pro-active JLA has happened about 15 times in the last decade, although in his defence, he was dead at the time. I am famous for not liking the Hal Jordan character, he is bone-headed, ignorant and a luddite, but I will concede that he has some legitimate gripes here, but why does it have to come at the expense of making Superman look like a pussy? I did like how Robinson immediately undercuts Hal and Green Arrow's grand gesture by them realising they are stuck in space and should have used the teleporter, it was a good move, and also allowed for a strong character scene between Hal and Ollie, I hope that Green Arrow will be a bit of a calming voice for Hal here, stop him being too much of a dick.

We are then introduced to a few of the characters who will be joining this particular incarnation of the Justice League. First up, Ray Palmer, who is kind of sort of the Atom. We see him teaming up with Ryan Choi, the new Atom, to take down Killer Moth, this was a good scene, good to show respect between Legacies, but I did feel it was a bit indulgent, Robinson loves his flowery, experimental captions, and he has them here. The lovefest was a bit too Meltzer as well. But I liked the edge Ray showed here, he's normally a bit characterless, but here... he's dangerous.

Then it's Mikaal Tomas, aka Starman, but not the Starman, as he's quick to remind us. I must admit I liked this scene a lot more than I probably should have objectively, it was fairly generic, but damn, was it good to see Opal City again, and have James Robinson back with a Starman, Jack gets a mention, as does Bobo Benetti. Yes it's Fan-service, but it works.

The next character is, uh, Congorilla. He's a man trapped in the body of a giant Golden Gorilla. How is that not awesome? I love that concept. Robinson indulges himself again with some flowery narration, but it's really not necessary, Cascioli draws a damn good monkey. This character is such a bizarre choice for a member of the JLA, I mean Marvel has Gorilla Man, but he's only on Agents Of Atlas, not the Avengers! I can't wait to see what Robinson does with him. It's a shame B'Wana Beast (sorry, Freedom Beast) is dead though, he has an awesome helmet.

We don't actually see these characters join the team, but they are linked by a common theme, a literal cry for Justice (it's like the title see?), this may seem a bit on the nose, but it works.

Overall, this was a good opening issue, but there didn't seem to be enough, we are only introduced to 5 of our characters, and from the covers, there appear to be a few other members (Batwoman, Captain Marvel and Supergirl) and we have no real idea of what this team are actually going to do, there are hints at Prometheus, but that's it. I think we could have done with a double-sized opener which introduces everyone and gives us a better idea of where things are going. But on the whole this was an good start, and the kind of JLA book we should expect, and should dovetail nicely when James Robinson takes over the main series with Mark Bagley.

Plus, there's more than just story! We get a text piece from James Robinson (the man loves to talk) and also an origin of Congorilla by Len Wein and Ardian Syaf, all of which is a nice supplemental, and makes this a good package.

Art - Mauro Cascioli is amazing, amazing. I'm normally not a fan of painted comics, particularly Alex Ross, but Cascioli is something else, he's a talented penciler, as we see in the supplemental materials, but his paints add something else, it adds energy, rather than taking it away like most. This is some of the best art I've seen in a DC book for a while, up there with Frank Quitely, yet completely different. I also liked how at times he brought a more exagerrated european style to the book, like with the Funeral Attendant's long face. Plus, he draws an awesome Gorilla. Can't wait to see the rest of this book, it's going to be beautiful, that's for sure.

Best Line - 'I WANT JUSTICE!', yeah, Ray's line was good, but Doombug already said it, and this came from a fucking gorilla.

8/10
Last edited by Punchy on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:13 pm

You took as many words as I did to review Watchmen, what the hell man?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Amlah is going to be testing the limits of an article with this week's column.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:You took as many words as I did to review Watchmen, what the hell man?

You obviously weren't doing Watchmen justice.

I don't see why writing a lot is such a problem, it's not like it takes very long to read.

I should be commended.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Punchy wrote:You obviously weren't doing Watchmen justice.

I don't see why writing a lot is such a problem, it's not like it takes very long to read.

I should be commended.

Jesus, this is me talking for god's sake.

stop being so serious all the time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:Jesus, this is me talking for god's sake.

stop being so serious all the time.

I'm just annoyed at being made fun of for putting in some effort!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm just annoyed at being made fun of for putting in some effort!

hey I used to get it all the time too. stop being a baby.
Your reviews are top notch. don't sweat it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:hey I used to get it all the time too. stop being a baby.
Your reviews are top notch. don't sweat it.

No problem.

Now let's make some fun of Zechs some more, and force Chubbles to choose Wednesday Comics.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Punchy wrote:No problem.

Now let's make some fun of Zechs some more, and force Chubbles to choose Wednesday Comics.

I can't make fun of Zechs yet, have to keep the mind pure for my review...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:I can't make fun of Zechs yet, have to keep the mind pure for my review...

There's never a bad time to make fun of Zechs!

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 426 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:51 pm

I will write something up this weekend.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand