Advertisement

Review Group Week 177 - JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Justice League: Cry for Justice #1 (of 6)

I am very unfamiliar with these characters so this comic had a disadvantage from page one. It did start off quite well but once the Green Lantern and Green Arrow bail it all gets fuzzy with me. There were a bunch of moments that were probably meant to be powerful but were lost upon me. The overuse of the word JUSTICE! was just silly... this was definitely for DC readers as it should be, I had a hard time caring about any of these characters It would have been much more interesting if it had the big 3 as the spotlight characters, that is who I think of when I think of the Justice League. I did however like the art, very beautiful to look at. One of the things I like about the group is reading books that are foreign to me and I base a lot on how easy a book is to read and enjoy with little or no prior knowledge... that is where this book fails, I have said it once and will say it again... I should not have to wiki a book to enjoy it.

STORY - 3

ART - 9

OVERALL - 4

Advertisement

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:17 pm

I'll post my review later on, haven't had a chance to read it yet.

as for next weeks pick, overall it's a pretty shit week in terms of viable options as far as i'm concerned but there is one in particular that should not only generate interest in the group but also should make for some good discussion next week.

Wednesday Comics #1 it is!!!!!!!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Chubbles wrote:I'll post my review later on, haven't had a chance to read it yet.

as for next weeks pick, overall it's a pretty shit week in terms of viable options as far as i'm concerned but there is one in particular that should not only generate interest in the group but also should make for some good discussion next week.

Wednesday Comics #1 it is!!!!!!!

Yay!

It's going to be interesting to see how people review this, each story on it's own? Or an evaluation of the format. Maybe both.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Yay!

It's going to be interesting to see how people review this, each story on it's own? Or an evaluation of the format. Maybe both.

each story on it's own might be a bit much but i'm sure some people will name their favorites and least favorite within their review.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Chubbles wrote:each story on it's own might be a bit much but i'm sure some people will name their favorites and least favorite within their review.

I don't mean in detail, just Yoni-style reviews for each story, a sentence or so.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't mean in detail, just Yoni-style reviews for each story, a sentence or so.

that's cool with me...i just hope it's better than most of the other dc books out...i am not a fan of their monthlies at the moment

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Chubbles wrote:that's cool with me...i just hope it's better than most of the other dc books out...i am not a fan of their monthlies at the moment

I bet it will, it's got their top creators and it's not constrained by continuity.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Chubbles wrote:Wednesday Comics #1 it is!!!!!!!

[center]Image
Wednesday Comics #1
as selected by Chubbles[/center]
Various Writers and artists.
In July, DC Comics gives a fresh twist to a grand comics tradition with WEDNESDAY COMICS, a new, weekly 12-issue series by some of the greatest names in comics today!

WEDNESDAY COMICS is unique in modern comics history: Reinventing the classic weekly newspaper comics section, it is a 16-page weekly that unfolds to a sprawling 28" x 20" tabloid-sized reading experience bursting with mind-blowing color, action and excitement, with each feature on its own 14" x 20" page.

Spearheaded by DCU Editorial Art Director Mark Chiarello, whose past editing credits include BATMAN BLACK and WHITE, DC: THE NEW FRONTIER and SOLO, each page of WEDNESDAY COMICS spotlights the continuing adventures of DC heroes, including:

• BATMAN, WEDNESDAY COMICS' weekly cover feature, by the Eisner Award-winning 100 BULLETS team of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso
• ADAM STRANGE, by writer/artist Paul Pope (BATMAN: YEAR 100)
• METAMORPHO, written by New York Times best-selling writer Neil Gaiman with Art by Eisner Award-winner Michael Allred (Madman)
• THE DEMON AND CATWOMAN, written by Walter Simonson (Thor, MANHUNTER) with Art by famed DC cover artist Brian Stelfreeze
• DEADMAN, written by Dave Bullock and Vinton Heuck, Art by Dave Bullock
• KAMANDI, written by Dave Gibbons (WATCHMEN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) with Art by Ryan Sook (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL)
• SUPERMAN, written by John Arcudi (The Mask) with Art by Lee Bermejo (JOKER)
• WONDER WOMAN, written and illustrated by Ben Caldwell (Dare Detectives)
• GREEN LANTERN, written by Kurt Busiek (TRINITY, ASTRO CITY) with Art by Joe Quiñones (TEEN TITANS GO!)
• TEEN TITANS, written by Eddie Berganza with Art by Sean Galloway
• SUPERGIRL, written by Jimmy Palmiotti (JONAH HEX) with Art by Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL)
• HAWKMAN, written and illustrated by Kyle Baker (PLASTIC MAN, Special Forces)
• SGT. ROCK, written by Adam Kubert (SUPERMAN: LAST SON), ilustrated by legendary comics artist Joe Kubert
• THE FLASH, written by Karl Kerschl (TEEN TITANS YEAR ONE, THE FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE) and Brenden Fletcher, illustrated by Karl Kerschl
• METAL MEN, written by Dan DiDio with Art by Ian Churchill (SUPERGIRL)

WEDNESDAY COMICS will arrive in stores folded twice to 7" x 10", with the first issue set to reach stores on July 8.

DC Universe | 16pg. | Color | $3.99 US

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm tempted to write more than Punchy, just cause.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 313 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't mean in detail, just Yoni-style reviews for each story, a sentence or so.

I hope you get rhoophied and anally raped at your next uni party...oh that's right they don't you don't get invited to parties, my bad.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 313 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 pm

This wasn't a story, so I'm gonna need some time before I write my review. Oh and alcohol lots and lots of alcohol.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:38 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I hope you get rhoophied and anally raped at your next uni party...oh that's right they don't you don't get invited to parties, my bad.

I got a greeting card from my grandma once that said the exact same thing! :o

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 pm

The Justice League has been through some rough times lately, what with final crises, charter member’s deaths and some guy named McDuffie. Fortunately, James Robinson is here to save the day, whipping up on his type writer like he had a big “S” on his t-shirt.

The book starts out with Hal giving the Justice League a speech about Justice. He never quite spells out what his particular concept of Justice is all about, but the reader can see the he is clearly looking at law, righteousness and fairness.

He, as others, are disturbed by the state of the DC Universe after the events of Final Crisis. More than any other story sitting on your local comic shop’s shelves right now, this one actually feels like Final Crisis not only happened, but mattered. Sure Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman’s stories are happening in a darker world, but those tales could have happened with out the events of Morrison’s channel surfing epic. This book embraces Libra’s mysterious mechanics and the tone has been set for a world that is surviving after Evil won.

At its core, this issue is all set up. The reader is given four expert portrayals of characters that cut a wide swath across the DCU. Robinson takes characters as big as Hal and Ray alongside characters as obscure as Congo Bill and Mikaal and shows how they react to the deaths of people that matter to them. The reader gets to crawl in their heads for a moment and then see them quite literally “Cry for Justice.” It’s just a little much. The saccharineness of the conceit may be meant to lighten the tone, but it comes off all a bit Creative Writing 101-ish.

It would be great to report that this is the single flaw of the book. To an extent it is. Often Robinson gets too clever for his own good and this is no clearer then during the Atom sequence of the book. Having two little blue and red guys is confusing enough, but the inner monologue gets muddled when he tries to give it a call and response feel. Between trying to capture the panache of Simone’s characterization of Choi and the clumsy handling of a common comic book trope (even Superman/Batman has employed the back and forth narration more effectively making it all the sadder that the scribe behind Starman Secret Files #1 misses it so badly here), it gets confusing.

The two slight missteps are forgiven as Robinson pretty much knocks the rest out of the park. He reestablishes the comradery of O’Neil’s green buddies. Ray Palmer becomes a fierce beast. The crazy blue alien Starman makes an interesting debut and then just to make the hardcore fanboys forget themselves and squeal for joy, he throws in Congo Bill. The stories are compelling and as half the proposed team for the book, the readers should be given a delightful romp through comic book nirvana.

Cascioli provides his incredible painted art. The character designs are iconic, his action crisp, and the storytelling and emotional resonance is superb.

The artist’s only misstep comes during Robinson’s biggest area of weakness. When he first bursts onto the pages of this comic, Ray is tiny and in costume, but when he grows back to normal size, he is in street clothes. Ryan is in costume at both molecular aspects. It is easy to assume that this was to make the two characters easily distinguishable, however there is no explanation for it. Surely, the internet’s wrath will fall upon me for not knowing the history of the Atom and knowing that issue 324 of Amazingly Tiny Guy’s Adventures showed that he does this, but there needs to be an acknowledgment on the page. Otherwise, the reader, like myself is ripped out of the book, hurting his suspension of disbelief. Given the less then clear script at this point, it only further exacerbates a problem.

Making it all up though is the back matter. Robinson provides an essay showing not only his vast knowledge of comic history, but also his intense love for it. When I read his reflections on the medium, I always wonder what it would be like if he had become a historian instead of a mere comic writer. His passion bursts in his prose in a way that only The Golden Age (hey DC, Absolute this already) and, of course, Starman have done in his comic scripting. As an added bonus we get Wein and Syaf on the “Origin of Congorilla”, a competent way to catch newbies up to speed.

An interesting start to a Justice League story has been long overdue. Here’s to hoping the spark of the writer ignites this story like his best work - his essay certainly shows the necessary enthusiasm.

-----

Anyhow as far as scoring goes, the story gets a 7 - because the Cry for Justice crap is way heavy handed and the Atom sense is muddled as hell.

The art gets a 9, it would get a 10, but that muddled Atom scene seeps into the art and the artist should have told RObinson to figure some way around it - why the hell does Ray grow big into street clothes?

Overall 8

JLA worth reading again. Thanks Robinson.
Last edited by thefourthman on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:48 pm

does Zechs buy his comics at Tabu's store where they replace the innards of like JLA CFJ #1 with Dark Night Strikes back #1 or some shit?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:50 pm

starlord wrote:Image

If you look at what has been happening with the League since before Final Crisis I think you'll realize that a change was needed. Not that McDuffie hasn't done a good job for all the restrictions that he was given, but compared to this first issue, it shows just how pointless and wandering the League has become.

Hal is THE Green Lantern, and Robinson proved that in the first three pages of the book. Loved the interraction between the two Atoms, but my favorite scene had to be with the little known Starman.

Still, this book wasn't great by any means. I'm a big fan of Robinson so I was a bit dissapointed that he felt he needed to throw the word "Justice" at us after the introduction of every character... yeah, we get it.

The art was phenominal! I love this style and it really works. Especially the shot of Hal and Ollie standing side by side as they leave the League. I'd love a framed copy of that for my man-cave!

This was an introduction issue, I realize, and I think it has huge potential; the art is nearly perfect, and the simple story has a Marvel feel that I'm ready to see DC play with, but at the same time, I don't need to be written down to, either.

Story: 6
Art: 9
My Score: 7.25

Oh, and I bet if Cassandra Cain had been in this somebody would have given it a 10 before they even read it. :P

ding ding ding ding

although I do agree that the atom scene is horribly written (Zechs can be right about one thing)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand