Advertisement

Review Group Week 177 - JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 78 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:59 pm

And Wednesday Comics is the only choice for next week!

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:48 pm

Lee I cannot agree more with your review and love next week's choice. Such a great time to be a fan of the medium.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:21 am

Fourthman, did you notice that in Cascioli's original pencils, Ray was also in his Atom suit when normal-sized.

Even more confusing.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:18 am

I don't know the full reasons as to why, but that is what Ray Palmer always did. His suit always disappeared when he grew to full-size. (Well, he could have it on at full-size, but it seems there's an option to change back)

I don't complain about the Flash rings, so I'm not going to complain about this.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:57 am

Punchy wrote:Fourthman, did you notice that in Cascioli's original pencils, Ray was also in his Atom suit when normal-sized.

Even more confusing.

yeah, but they should have fixed it in that first page then. I kinda got the sense that he will no longer be wearing the suit anyhow.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm

King Impulse wrote:I don't know the full reasons as to why, but that is what Ray Palmer always did. His suit always disappeared when he grew to full-size. (Well, he could have it on at full-size, but it seems there's an option to change back)

I don't complain about the Flash rings, so I'm not going to complain about this.

Like I said, there may be a reason, but you got the one guy (Ryan) who is pretty much always in the suit (as I recall wasn't he naked the first time he put on the belt or something to that effect, I remember him running around all naked) at both sizes and then Ray not only grows bigger without the suit but appears to be shrinking to not wearing the suit at the end...

It needs an explanation. That's all. Even Flash has explained that ring crap to whatever way the writer feels.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:Like I said, there may be a reason, but you got the one guy (Ryan) who is pretty much always in the suit (as I recall wasn't he naked the first time he put on the belt or something to that effect, I remember him running around all naked) at both sizes and then Ray not only grows bigger without the suit but appears to be shrinking to not wearing the suit at the end...

It needs an explanation. That's all. Even Flash has explained that ring crap to whatever way the writer feels.

Ryan was fiddling with the belt and accidentally shrunk himself out of his clothes.

I'm going to look into the actual reason as to why the suit appears at Atom-size
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 pm

So I picked up my comic yesterday and completely forgot about CfJ. I went back to the store today to get it and the damn thing I had sold out. So no review from me sorry guys. Great pick for next week!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Where to begin when discussing Cry for Justice, I'll go with Hal. I'm not a Hal fan, I read through Rebirth and the first 8 or so issues of the GL title it's currently on. Maybe my limited experience is where I just don't get Hal, but he's never seemed to me that he's the kick ass take no prisoners guy he was set up to be in the first 4-6 pages. In fact it felt forced lets start a comic with this guy and he's being pushy and he doesn't care what people are saying what Batman is dead? ok let's make him Hal Jordan. Really I feel like Robinson put the wrong second word on his script really it should have been Arrow not Lantern giving this diatribe instead. On a side note if I say something before the character says it, it's really not that great a writing job. It would have been nice for Ollie not to say "Oh boy" and be almost his entire dialogue but because this is something he actually agrees with and Hal is lets face it a buffoon goes with him. Thus ends the appearence of the more "interesting" characters of the book.
I turn the page and I see an Atom, I think it's probably ray Palmer. I was glad to see Ryan who I liked during Remenders couple of issues but the first couple panels of Ryan and Ray were a bit confusing. Now we get to the moment all us Starman nerds are waiting for, Mikal Thomas. It was lame. Thanks for nothing James. and then we see the same set up over and over again. No villians no team-ups, no plot. There is a little set up but right now our heroes are interested in one thing completely seperate from each other, JUSTICE and you just know they'll find each other at the end of next issue so they can take down this justice fellow.

Ah the art, I didn't know comics were being colored with crayons these days.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:55 pm

thefourthman wrote:ding ding ding ding

although I do agree that the atom scene is horribly written (Zechs can be right about one thing)

48THRiLLS wrote:Justice League: Cry for Justice #1 (of 6)

Correction.. "Zechs was right". Seriously the Outhouse should make a t-shirt like those Marvel, "Magneto was right." Afterall:

I am very unfamiliar with these characters so this comic had a disadvantage from page one. It did start off quite well but once the Green Lantern and Green Arrow bail it all gets fuzzy with me. There were a bunch of moments that were probably meant to be powerful but were lost upon me. The overuse of the word JUSTICE! was just silly... this was definitely for DC readers as it should be, I had a hard time caring about any of these characters It would have been much more interesting if it had the big 3 as the spotlight characters, that is who I think of when I think of the Justice League. I did however like the art, very beautiful to look at. One of the things I like about the group is reading books that are foreign to me and I base a lot on how easy a book is to read and enjoy with little or no prior knowledge... that is where this book fails, I have said it once and will say it again... I should not have to wiki a book to enjoy it.

STORY - 3

ART - 9

OVERALL - 4

guitarsmashley wrote:Where to begin when discussing Cry for Justice, I'll go with Hal. I'm not a Hal fan, I read through Rebirth and the first 8 or so issues of the GL title it's currently on. Maybe my limited experience is where I just don't get Hal, but he's never seemed to me that he's the kick ass take no prisoners guy he was set up to be in the first 4-6 pages. In fact it felt forced lets start a comic with this guy and he's being pushy and he doesn't care what people are saying what Batman is dead? ok let's make him Hal Jordan. Really I feel like Robinson put the wrong second word on his script really it should have been Arrow not Lantern giving this diatribe instead. On a side note if I say something before the character says it, it's really not that great a writing job. It would have been nice for Ollie not to say "Oh boy" and be almost his entire dialogue but because this is something he actually agrees with and Hal is lets face it a buffoon goes with him. Thus ends the appearence of the more "interesting" characters of the book.
I turn the page and I see an Atom, I think it's probably ray Palmer. I was glad to see Ryan who I liked during Remenders couple of issues but the first couple panels of Ryan and Ray were a bit confusing. Now we get to the moment all us Starman nerds are waiting for, Mikal Thomas. It was lame. Thanks for nothing James. and then we see the same set up over and over again. No villians no team-ups, no plot. There is a little set up but right now our heroes are interested in one thing completely seperate from each other, JUSTICE and you just know they'll find each other at the end of next issue so they can take down this justice fellow.

Ah the art, I didn't know comics were being colored with crayons these days.

It's good to see such fine upstanding folks are as brutally honestly as I was that this mini is utter shit. Cause clearly me, guitar, and 48 are not blinded by Robinson being on Starman to see what this book truly was. The rest of you are utter FOOLS for thinking this book was awesome. McDuffie wrote a better speech in JLA showcasing Hal and Ollie as they truly where being assholes. :-D

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:39 am

Zechs wrote:It's good to see such fine upstanding folks are as brutally honestly as I was that this mini is utter shit. Cause clearly me, guitar, and 48 are not blinded by Robinson being on Starman to see what this book truly was. The rest of you are utter FOOLS for thinking this book was awesome. McDuffie wrote a better speech in JLA showcasing Hal and Ollie as they truly where being assholes. :-D

For once...go fuck yourself ducky. :-D

Seriously 3 of the reviews are low scored and didin't enjoy the issue, doesn't make it fact that it sucked.

Sorry that no one likes your batgirl enough to use her. ;-)

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 am

doombug wrote:For once...go fuck yourself ducky. :-D

Seriously 3 of the reviews are low scored and didin't enjoy the issue, doesn't make it fact that it sucked.

Sorry that no one likes your batgirl enough to use her. ;-)

I didn't care for the issue, but didn't think it sucked.

However, that last line is hilarious and capped off a great night! :-D

Loves ya Zechs! :D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Justice League: Cry for Justice #1

James Robinson and Mauro Cascioli’s first issue of Justice League: Cry for Justice was released this week. Initial interviews with Robinson stated bluntly that this series will be about “justice and seeking justice, rather than responding to emergencies, letting the problems come to them and being almost entirely reactive.” In this first issue we see Hal Jordan putting Superman in his place and stepping up to be the law enforcement officer he id supposed to be. Although in this first issue I just found myself getting sick of the word ‘justice’.

In the second part of this issue we see Ray Palmer and the new atom in for lack of a better term, a bar fight, with a D-list Batman villain. We see Robinson attempt to do a back-and-forth inner dialogue the likes we’ve seen in Superman and Batman. It didn’t quite hit home and was just a tad annoying to read the same text from both characters. And to be honest I’ve never read anything involving the new atom and after his unmemorable portrayal here, I could care less if he’s around in five years.

Next the readers are introduced to Mikaal Thomas, from Robinson’s Starman series. And although this had the same feel as the rest of this poorly narrated book, you felt like this scene was a bit easier for Robinson to write, it flowed a lot better than the rest of the scenes. And finally; Congo Bill/ Congorilla, I have no idea who this character is, and I have a hard time imagining that a man in a gorilla’s body is going to be able to keep up with the strength of a Green Lantern. It made it even more obvious that Robinson knew that no one knew who this character was, when they threw in a last minute origin at the end of the issue. As for the back matter I really liked it, not only did we get to see some of the unfinished pencil’s for the book but we get to hear Robinson’s take on this book and what’s going to be coming from it.

I understand that in a first issue there has to be a certain amount of set-up, but this is only a 7 issue mini and after the first issue we’ve only seen five members of a team that hasn’t even formed yet. The price tag with this mini seemed a bit steep too. Sure the back-matter was great but it was only what, a 22 page comic.

I’m new to James Robinson, but from what I’ve read so far of Starman, and also to a lesser extent his work on Superman, he is a phenomenal writer. But I can’t help feel some of his grandeur is behind him with his “Justice” one-liners just getting lazier as the issue progressed. In fact alot of the dialogue felt off from the aforementioned Atom scene to Green Arrow being stuck on an “oh boy” loop. It really felt like he knew that fans were going to love this team because of the characters and just phoned-in the rest.

The premise of the story itself is interesting enough, Green Lantern feels that the Justice League doesn’t actually do anything except wait around get attacked all the time. He wants them to actually go out and stop the villains instead of just reacting to attacks like they are currently. And when Superman doesn’t listen he takes Ollie and leaves the tower. I always love Green Arrow and Green Lantern together and this was no exception, it’s great to see a character that has the other’s back no matter what.

Mauro Cascioli is an outstanding artist and this is my first encounter. His attention to detail and his Iconic designs of the characters were engrossing. I found myself drawn to the art; I have a monumental flaw of breezing through a comic in five minutes and not appreciating the art, not the case in this issue. The flashback panels of the deaths of Batman and the Martian Manhunter were notably some of the best work I’ve seen recently. The red over-tones separated these panels from the rest of the page and spoke volumes for the emotional depth they were trying to convey. We don’t see much on the scale of what Cascioli is capable of as this first issue is a lot of basic talking scenes, and is lacking in any sort of action. I’m interested to see what else this fantastic artist is capable of.

Despite my many criticisms’s of this fist issue, this book has major potential and is light years ahead of what McDuffie has been producing in his recent tenure on the book. I really felt this could have just been the start of Robinson’s run on JLA rather than just a mini, but as it stands DC has managed to make me pick up another title of theirs for the time being at least. It’s unfortunate this book didn’t live up to my expectations, but thanks to the hype and the high standard I hold Robinson’s writing I don’t think it could have. Justice League: Cry for Justice, is an average step in the right direction, but it might be enough to make me care about the justice league again.

Art 8.5

Story 6

Overall - 7.25

I Haven't been around much lately, busy times but I always try to make time for the review group at least once every two weeks. Wednesday comics next week is going to be interesting. It'll probably get a lot of mixed reviews, with the title having a lot of different writers. But this is one title that I'm really looking forward to.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Cry for justice review

I'll jump on the "this issue sucked" bandwagon. The writing felt so cliche and just run of the mill which made it boring. This should have been one of those issues given out on FCBD as basically this entire issue was set-up and nothing meaningful happened. The first 8 or so pages have been in solicits for it feels like months now so I had alread read have the book it fel like before opening the damn thing. I have no attachment to any of the characters so any hidden stuff for DC fans went over my head and did nothing for me. This is a one and done for me on this series as I care less about the book than I did before picking it up and reading. The art however was very nice and gave the book a unique feel at the very least. I like to see different styles and this was very unique at least as far as compared to anything I buy regularly.

Story 2
Art 8
Overall 5

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Great pick for next week

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand