Advertisement

Review Group Week 177 - JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Great pick for next week

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 215 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:36 pm

doombug wrote:For once...go fuck yourself ducky. :-D

Seriously 3 of the reviews are low scored and didin't enjoy the issue, doesn't make it fact that it sucked.

Sorry that no one likes your batgirl enough to use her. ;-)

Four reviews. I am not alone. We saw the reality of this book. AND IT SUCKED!!! So blow me minion! You're but a toad to me.

And don't you DARE drag Batgirl into this. Didio has ruined whatever good there once was with her by dragging the Beechen onto her. She can still be salvaged. All she needs is a writer who understands the character and his name isn't Adam Beechen.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:46 am

Chubbles wrote: This should have been one of those issues given out on FCBD as basically this entire issue was set-up and nothing meaningful happened.

That is exactly how it felt but with shittier characters and pointless plot lines.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:10 am

Zechs wrote:Image

Four reviews. I am not alone. We saw the reality of this book. AND IT SUCKED!!! So blow me minion! You're but a toad to me.

And don't you DARE drag Batgirl into this. Didio has ruined whatever good there once was with her by dragging the Beechen onto her. She can still be salvaged. All she needs is a writer who understands the character and his name isn't Adam Beechen.

I don't work for you...so uh nice try "firing me"

Listen there ducky, your words are not fact. You wont touch a spiderman book because of OMD even though the book continues to get better every month.

And who are you kidding? You'll read batgirl without a doubt. :wink: :-D

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:01 am

:shock:

Why you gotta fight guys?

No one really takes Zechs seriously, right?

Right?

That could shatter my worldview.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 am

I wasn't really expecting much from this but much to my surprise I actually enjoyed it. Sure it's 100% setup with probably even more setup to follow but as a collection of character pieces I was rather intrigued. Of course Hal was being the douche that Hal is, but him wanting to make a Justice League that is more like the Avengers totally makes sense seeing as the Avengers have always been superior to the Justice League. Even with my Hal dislike I really enjoyed his interactions with Ollie. I haven't read any of those old comics where they team-up together but this book made me want to. That's always been one of James Robinson's biggest strengths, his comics make me want to read old DC comics and I can't think of any other writer that has that effect on me. Also, it was awesome to see Mikaal again.

I had thought from the previews that were released that this was going to be on a Utopia level of fugliness, but Cascioli's art works much better on the printed page... well for the second half of the book it does anyway. His coloring in the Satellite portion of the book was god awful. I'm sure it was intentional, but the costumes being that brightly colored was more of a distraction than anything. Hopefully going forward he will stick with the darker pallets he used in the rest of the book.

Story: 8.5
Art: 7.5
Overall: 8

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 am

Justice League: Cry For Justice #1
The Beginning
Written by James Robinson
Art by Mauro Cascioli

Hal Jordan sucks.

There, it's out of my system, on to the review.

JL:CFJ is an odd book. Every flaw that everyone has commented on exists, and I can see them. Hal sounds very petulant at the start. The dueling narration of the Atoms is confusing. The random shouting of 'JUSTICE!' is plain awful. Objectively, this is a bad comic, I am aware of this, but damn if this isn't my very own Rulk. I did enjoy this a lot.

Hal Jordan is a damn sight more bearable when Ollie's around. I love that as soon as they were out of the earshot of the other Leaguers, Ollie's first reaction was to go "Err... Why didn't we use the teleporters dumbass?" It was a very geniune moment between two friends and the first time in ages Hal Jordan has felt like an actual person. Next up, The Atoms. I fucking love, love LOVE Ryan Choi. All-New Atom was one of the most F-U-N comics of this decade until Remender raped the life out of it in a short amount of time and it was great to see that Ray is not only fine with Ryan being the Atom, but he's damn proud of him. I was a bit peturbed by Ray's new methods, but the dude's been through a lot, it's not a stretch to see him being a little more hardcore. Also, Killer Moth rules!

Next on the roll call, Mikaal Thomas. I've just started a big reread of Starman, mainly due to this issue, so I'm reaquainting myself with Mikaal, I'd argue that he seemed slightly out of character but when it's James Robinson writing, the guy who gave Mikaal his character, it's hard to argue. Lastly, Congorilla, or as Robinson points out in the back-matter, just Bill. It's a bit of a hackneyed plot device for any jungle based character (Catman had this recently, and I'm sure something similar has happened to Ka-Zar) but it does it's job I guess. I'm not happy with the death of Freedom Beast because it served no purpose, the sole reason for his death was to motivate another character, Robinson effectively shoved him into the metaphorical fridge.

This wasn't really a story, more a series of vignettes. The story is forming, but it's not there yet, I would have like to see at least some link between the characters' crys for Justice, like maybe it was Prometheus who attacked S.T.A.R labs resulting in Mikaal's boyfriend's death, etc. My main grievance is the character I'm buying this for hasn't shown up yet, and according to solicits, Freddy Freeman won't be showing up until #3. It's a personal annoyance though and doesn't affect the quality of the book or my review of it.

Now... Mauro Cascioli... The guy's good. Damn good. My favourite sequence is probably the Atoms sequence, he has a great sense of kinetic movement that other painted artists (Alex Ross, Dell'Otto) sometimes lack, and look at the colour in it. The Atoms' costumes! The blood! Killer Moth! It's all beautifully done. He also does one of the best apes since Art Adamns and

Overall this was a flawed, flawed comic, but one that rewards DC nuts like myself, so much so that I can look past those faults and enjoy it anyway, which I did. Oodles.

Story - 8
Art - 9
Overall - 8

Best line: "You are all I though you'd be and everything I hoped for"
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:24 am

Hey, the best line is my gimmick! Kieran, Doombug! Get your own! :P

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 am

Punchy wrote:Hey, the best line is my gimmick! Kieran, Doombug! Get your own! :P

The first few times I did it, I always put something like "(and to rip off Punchy) Best Line:"

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 am

I have a Mikaal related question not related to this book, but not important enough for it's own thread.

Mikaal is a Talokian like Shadow Lass and Lyssa Drak of the Sinestro Corps. In Starman #28, which is all about Mikaal, the other Talokian says the Mikaal had a lover named Lyssa. Is Lyssa Drak supposed to be the same woman, or am I just to assume Lyssa is like a Talokian version of Cath or something, just a popular name?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:37 am

King Impulse wrote:The first few times I did it, I always put something like "(and to rip off Punchy) Best Line:"

I don't mind it really, it's interesting to see what other people think constitutes a good line of dialogue.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:19 am

Punchy wrote:I don't mind it really, it's interesting to see what other people think constitutes a good line of dialogue.

I know how corny they were, but the other two lines I liked were

"You want a League? I want Justice"

and

"He's a hero. I'm Ray Palmer. Welcome to pain."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:21 pm

The best line of this book was, "Justice" that's how shitty this comic was.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:23 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:The best line of this book was, "Justice" that's how shitty this comic was.

That'd be best lines

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 215 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:26 pm

doombug wrote:I don't work for you...so uh nice try "firing me"

Listen there ducky, your words are not fact. You wont touch a spiderman book because of OMD even though the book continues to get better every month.

And who are you kidding? You'll read batgirl without a doubt. :wink: :-D

BAH!! There may have been some good but it took an entire year for it to get your way possibly of this so called good. And silence! I will only read the first issue after that I'll probably put it down!

SuperginraiX wrote: No one really takes Zechs seriously, right?

Right?

That could shatter my worldview.

It seems others share my views so techincally YEES. *shatters your worldview*

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand