Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:45 am

thefourthman wrote:The only book I have sold of more on the first day since this shop opened was Batman and Robin #1.

I think anyone waiting 'til the weekend who wants this should call their shop like several other people did. I talked to a few shop owners who were sold out yesterday.

It is bizarre that Marvel could almost bully retailers into buying 5 feet of Monday Caps and this book may have been under-ordered by a lot of shops.

It's different for you with a small chain of shops, but how did you determine how many to get and how many roughly are left?

Did you anticipate the demand? Do you think it will get 2nded? I am hoping not, in a way. But if there is demand, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:48 am

Twigglet wrote:I went into town today especially to read this!

It was good, the art was awesome (apart from Wonder Woman, the font suckeeed)
But yeah apart from that, a one page comic just isn't enough for me. It just felt like a snippet. There wasn't enough happening in just one page. I think something like this with all 12 issues at once would have been great.

It hearkens back to a less impatient time, when the immediacy of instant gratification wasn't taken for granted.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:49 am

Well, if only getting one page a week and being disapointed by it is me wanting instant gratification, then yes, you're right.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:55 am

Twigglet wrote:Well, if only getting one page a week and being disapointed by it is me wanting instant gratification, then yes, you're right.

Comic strips are always snippets, is what I'm saying. Compared to some old strips, the page size and number of panels was almost generous.

Don't think of it as a comic book. I know it's much more welcoming a format to those of us who actually read comics strips. The first one had to set up 15 different situations and atmospheres. The interesting thing to see will be how the 15 different creative teams can advance the narrative with a single page in the next few issues.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:08 am

Twigglet wrote:But yeah apart from that, a one page comic just isn't enough for me. It just felt like a snippet. There wasn't enough happening in just one page. I think something like this with all 12 issues at once would have been great.

This from the person who claims House of M to be the best Marvel event ever. That book took a two issue story and dragged it out to 8 and you're complaining that nothing happened in Wednesday Comics? :roll:

I doubt if anyone will ever truly figure out the way Twigglet's world works. :-)

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 am

Wednesday Comics #1: Various/Various DC $3.99
I must say I really enjoyed this book. I remember my LCS manger telling me how awesome this series was gonna be. He was right, and thank god. If this hadn’t been good I would have pitched an epic fit for spending 4 bucks. But DC made it totally worth it. I was kind of meh when I got it and it was newspaper. Thank god my shop was selling Bags and board big enough to fit this beast. The size is epic I see why it was on newspaper. I was able to finally read this about midnight last night. Which leads to the first issue I have with the book. It is impossible to read in bed. I read all my comics in my bed guess Wednesday comics will be the exception. It was a major pain to read. I eventually was able to read it and boy was it good. The art was excellent and the stories were to. The Deadman, Batman, The Flash all standout to me. My favorite was Metamorpho from Gaiman/Allred. I liked all the stories except for Wonder woman. I mean really it was cluttered and ugly to look at. Should have had another talent take her on. But over all I can’t complain really, one bad story out of 15. The art was spectacular and the stories were bad ass. Must read for anyone who loves comics. I can’t wait to get this in its oversized edition when ever it comes out. Even if it is 99 bucks.
Overall 9.7/10

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 am

Twigglet wrote:I went into town today especially to read this!

It was good, the art was awesome (apart from Wonder Woman, the font suckeeed)
But yeah apart from that, a one page comic just isn't enough for me. It just felt like a snippet. There wasn't enough happening in just one page. I think something like this with all 12 issues at once would have been great.

Read my review.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 am

House of J wrote:I think anyone waiting 'til the weekend who wants this should call their shop like several other people did. I talked to a few shop owners who were sold out yesterday.

It is bizarre that Marvel could almost bully retailers into buying 5 feet of Monday Caps and this book may have been under-ordered by a lot of shops.

It's different for you with a small chain of shops, but how did you determine how many to get and how many roughly are left?

Did you anticipate the demand? Do you think it will get 2nded? I am hoping not, in a way. But if there is demand, I don't see why they wouldn't.

We order our subscriber numbers and base our shelf copies off of that number. 1st issues and event tie-ins get a bump and sometimes we just have a feeling and order more than usual. This fell into that last category, so yes we anticipated demand. I received fifty shelf copies for my store and had 13 left when I went home at 5 pm. This means that more than one copy left with every customer who shopped with us yesterday. I have never seen that before.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Wednesday comics #1

Wow, this was interesting. The good kind of interesting of course. 15 different creative teams on 15 different characters all packed into one newspaper sized comic. It folds nice and the paper quality is really good.

Out of the 15 stories I'd say 11 of them are incredibly strong and 4 were set up. My main complaint was with the Wonder Woman story, that font was completely unreadable and the art was a bit blurry.

I loved the deadman story and thought it was great to put him in a noir setting. Didio surprised me a lot with that metal men story and so far he cou;ld double as a writer if need be. The Flash/Iris double feature was pretty fun too even if I think I know where it's heading.

Metamorpho and Supergirl were another 2 of my favorite as both creative teams seemed to nail the fun aspects of their characters.

All together this is a great start to the experiment. We'll see how things work for the next 11 weeks.

Writing: 9
Art: 9
Over all: 9

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Some clarification on the Wonder Woman story, the majority of it is a dream sequence, if you notice the last five panels lose the sketchiness as she has woken up. It is an interesting technique, it reminds me of Rossmo's work on Proof, however the chin clefts are a little weird, the Grey Sisters look awesome and have a very French feel to them.

I also like the font, but you guys have to remember I read a metric ton of comics every week, I have seen worse, hunt down copies of War God from Speakeasy if you want to see an unreadable font!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:Some clarification on the Wonder Woman story, the majority of it is a dream sequence, if you notice the last five panels lose the sketchiness as she has woken up. It is an interesting technique, it reminds me of Rossmo's work on Proof, however the chin clefts are a little weird, the Grey Sisters look awesome and have a very French feel to them.

I also like the font, but you guys have to remember I read a metric ton of comics every week, I have seen worse, hunt down copies of War God from Speakeasy if you want to see an unreadable font!

I have faith it will get stronger as the series moves forward, it was just a very rough start.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm

I thought the Sgt Rock was the least of this issue. It barely even got rolling before it ended and the young Kubert should just stick to drawing. It sue was pretty though.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:44 pm

thefourthman wrote:I thought the Sgt Rock was the least of this issue. It barely even got rolling before it ended and the young Kubert should just stick to drawing. It sue was pretty though.

You thought the Teen Titans page was better than Rock? Ok, now we have a 20 page fight primed and ready.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 pm

House of J wrote:You thought the Teen Titans page was better than Rock? Ok, now we have a 20 page fight primed and ready.

it was certainly not prettier, but it was better written... it would probably rank just above it story wise with WW right above it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:We order our subscriber numbers and base our shelf copies off of that number. 1st issues and event tie-ins get a bump and sometimes we just have a feeling and order more than usual. This fell into that last category, so yes we anticipated demand. I received fifty shelf copies for my store and had 13 left when I went home at 5 pm. This means that more than one copy left with every customer who shopped with us yesterday. I have never seen that before.

I had a feeling this one was going to debut big too. Part of the multiple sales must be speculation, it's the first of its kind after all. I'm sure a lot of regular readers wanted a copy to read and a copy to preserve too.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand