Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:it was certainly not prettier, but it was better written... it would probably rank just above it story wise with WW right above it.

Ah. I would go WW>Rock>TT.

Of course, that is the one style that didn't quite click with me, and you can't go wrong with Joe K.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:52 pm

House of J wrote:Ah. I would go WW>Rock>TT.

Of course, that is the one style that didn't quite click with me, and you can't go wrong with Joe K.

Like I said, Joe knocks it out off the park, art wise it is one of the top stories in the book... just Adam can not write.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:37 pm

So why does Tabu even review comics?
Imagine you're on a date with someone. They're cute, they're smiling at you, and you sit down to order some food. Right before the waiter comes in, they stand up and say, "Well, see you next week!" That's what every individual segment of "Wednesday Comics" #1 was like, at the appalling price of $3.99. In American money. Not rupees or pesos or something you'd have to look up the exchange rate for, no. Weirdest of all that with some of the creators on deck, the best piece in here is Kyle Baker's Sam Wilson-esque turn on "Hawkman." So weird, no idea why so many people are excited about this ...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=21947 :roll:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:So why does Tabu even review comics?
Imagine you're on a date with someone. They're cute, they're smiling at you, and you sit down to order some food. Right before the waiter comes in, they stand up and say, "Well, see you next week!" That's what every individual segment of "Wednesday Comics" #1 was like, at the appalling price of $3.99. In American money. Not rupees or pesos or something you'd have to look up the exchange rate for, no. Weirdest of all that with some of the creators on deck, the best piece in here is Kyle Baker's Sam Wilson-esque turn on "Hawkman." So weird, no idea why so many people are excited about this ...

Tabu is CBR's Twigglet.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 pm

GLX wrote:Tabu is CBR's Twigglet.

Did Twigglet adore Marvel Divas too?

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm

I think I may be going to my LCS tomorrow. I'm excited

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:So why does Tabu even review comics?

Because he/she is right in this instance. :P

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Wednesday Comics #1: or The Most Over-Hyped and Over-Priced Sampler Ever Produced

Clumsy. Forgettable. Unfulfilling. Those three words sum up my feelings on DC's latest experiment. Maybe if I were committed to spending the $48 to read Wednesday Comics for the next 12 weeks the teeny tiny snippets found in this bundle of cumbersome folded paper would be more intriguing but as a stand alone experience it's little more than a collection of beautiful art with virtually nothing to back it up. Some strips handled the one page format better than others, but for the most part they barely hold their on with your standard online previews. If DC wants to sell me a Gaiman/Allred Metamorpho comic or Paul Pope's Strange Adventures I'm all for that, but they're going to have to give me a bit more than one page at a time.

Content: 6
Format: 1
Overall: 3.5

vinnypic
Expert Post Whore

Title: UNSTOPPABLE

Postby vinnypic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can muster at this time:

Everyone complaining about the format is a fucking idiot.

It's not like you bought it and SURPRISE! You knew. Everyone knew. It's not like they sprang this shit on you. Same thing with the price point. It wasn't a surprise. All this shit, the price, the format, hell, even the paperstock, had been public knowledge for at least a month.

It'd be one thing if the consumer is misled, but if the product is properly promoted and you buy something that's not to your liking because YOU EXPECT DIFFERENT from the widely known facts about said product, then you are a fucking idiot.

It'd be like going to a black and white movie and bitching about the lack of color.

Bow the fuck down.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

amlah6 wrote:Wednesday Comics #1: or The Most Over-Hyped and Over-Priced Sampler Ever Produced

Clumsy. Forgettable. Unfulfilling. Those three words sum up my feelings on DC's latest experiment. Maybe if I were committed to spending the $48 to read Wednesday Comics for the next 12 weeks the teeny tiny snippets found in this bundle of cumbersome folded paper would be more intriguing but as a stand alone experience it's little more than a collection of beautiful art with virtually nothing to back it up. Some strips handled the one page format better than others, but for the most part they barely hold their on with your standard online previews. If DC wants to sell me a Gaiman/Allred Metamorpho comic or Paul Pope's Strange Adventures I'm all for that, but they're going to have to give me a bit more than one page at a time.

Content: 6
Format: 1
Overall: 3.5

No one at any time ever described it as a stand alone book or experience. If you went in with that kind of expectation I can see how it would be disappointing.

I was told I was getting serial strips and that is what I got. it is all set up so I scored it lower than I would have a nice rounded out book, but it is breath taking and by far the best single issue I have read this week. Douglas Fredericks kicks its ass, but then Joe Kelly didn't write anything here and it ain't a comic either.

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:No one at any time ever described it as a stand alone book or experience. If you went in with that kind of expectation I can see how it would be disappointing.

I was told I was getting serial strips and that is what I got. it is all set up so I scored it lower than I would have a nice rounded out book, but it is breath taking and by far the best single issue I have read this week. Douglas Fredericks kicks its ass, but then Joe Kelly didn't write anything here and it ain't a comic either.

Apologist, IMO.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 pm

amlah6 wrote:Apologist, IMO.

I'm not apologizing for shit. Nope, fuck that, I will apologize to rational people in the group for letting an obviously insane and deluded man run it.

vinnypic
Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:07 pm

If you were born yesterday, I could understand being surprised by the length of story, format, paperstock, pricepoint, ETC.

Bow the fuck down.

vinnypic
Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Kamandi: 10
Hawkman: 9
Flash: 9
Batman: 8
Superman: 8
Wonder Woman: 5
Green Lantern: 5
Deadman: 8
Teen Titans: 7
Strange Adventures: 7
Supergirl: 7
Sgt. Rock: 8
Metal Men: 7
Cat/Demon: 7
Metamorpho: 8

I give it an 8, solid. I'm on board for this grand experiment.

Bow the fuck down.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm not apologizing for shit. Nope, fuck that, I will apologize to rational people in the group for letting an obviously insane and deluded man run it.

Fuck you! I refuse to accept your apology until you kick Amlah in both shins with steel-toed elf booties!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand