Friday, June 24, 2016 • Evening Edition • "That smell was here before we went in."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:it was certainly not prettier, but it was better written... it would probably rank just above it story wise with WW right above it.


Ah. I would go WW>Rock>TT.

Of course, that is the one style that didn't quite click with me, and you can't go wrong with Joe K.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:52 pm

House of J wrote:Ah. I would go WW>Rock>TT.

Of course, that is the one style that didn't quite click with me, and you can't go wrong with Joe K.

Like I said, Joe knocks it out off the park, art wise it is one of the top stories in the book... just Adam can not write.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:37 pm

So why does Tabu even review comics?
Imagine you're on a date with someone. They're cute, they're smiling at you, and you sit down to order some food. Right before the waiter comes in, they stand up and say, "Well, see you next week!" That's what every individual segment of "Wednesday Comics" #1 was like, at the appalling price of $3.99. In American money. Not rupees or pesos or something you'd have to look up the exchange rate for, no. Weirdest of all that with some of the creators on deck, the best piece in here is Kyle Baker's Sam Wilson-esque turn on "Hawkman." So weird, no idea why so many people are excited about this ...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=21947 :roll:
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:So why does Tabu even review comics?
Imagine you're on a date with someone. They're cute, they're smiling at you, and you sit down to order some food. Right before the waiter comes in, they stand up and say, "Well, see you next week!" That's what every individual segment of "Wednesday Comics" #1 was like, at the appalling price of $3.99. In American money. Not rupees or pesos or something you'd have to look up the exchange rate for, no. Weirdest of all that with some of the creators on deck, the best piece in here is Kyle Baker's Sam Wilson-esque turn on "Hawkman." So weird, no idea why so many people are excited about this ...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=21947 :roll:


Tabu is CBR's Twigglet.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 pm

GLX wrote:Tabu is CBR's Twigglet.


Did Twigglet adore Marvel Divas too?
User avatar

Mr_Batman

Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm

I think I may be going to my LCS tomorrow. I'm excited

******

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:So why does Tabu even review comics?
Imagine you're on a date with someone. They're cute, they're smiling at you, and you sit down to order some food. Right before the waiter comes in, they stand up and say, "Well, see you next week!" That's what every individual segment of "Wednesday Comics" #1 was like, at the appalling price of $3.99. In American money. Not rupees or pesos or something you'd have to look up the exchange rate for, no. Weirdest of all that with some of the creators on deck, the best piece in here is Kyle Baker's Sam Wilson-esque turn on "Hawkman." So weird, no idea why so many people are excited about this ...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=21947 :roll:


Because he/she is right in this instance. :P

******

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Wednesday Comics #1: or The Most Over-Hyped and Over-Priced Sampler Ever Produced

Clumsy. Forgettable. Unfulfilling. Those three words sum up my feelings on DC's latest experiment. Maybe if I were committed to spending the $48 to read Wednesday Comics for the next 12 weeks the teeny tiny snippets found in this bundle of cumbersome folded paper would be more intriguing but as a stand alone experience it's little more than a collection of beautiful art with virtually nothing to back it up. Some strips handled the one page format better than others, but for the most part they barely hold their on with your standard online previews. If DC wants to sell me a Gaiman/Allred Metamorpho comic or Paul Pope's Strange Adventures I'm all for that, but they're going to have to give me a bit more than one page at a time.

Content: 6
Format: 1
Overall: 3.5
User avatar

vinnypic

Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can muster at this time:

Everyone complaining about the format is a fucking idiot.

It's not like you bought it and SURPRISE! You knew. Everyone knew. It's not like they sprang this shit on you. Same thing with the price point. It wasn't a surprise. All this shit, the price, the format, hell, even the paperstock, had been public knowledge for at least a month.

It'd be one thing if the consumer is misled, but if the product is properly promoted and you buy something that's not to your liking because YOU EXPECT DIFFERENT from the widely known facts about said product, then you are a fucking idiot.

It'd be like going to a black and white movie and bitching about the lack of color.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

amlah6 wrote:Wednesday Comics #1: or The Most Over-Hyped and Over-Priced Sampler Ever Produced

Clumsy. Forgettable. Unfulfilling. Those three words sum up my feelings on DC's latest experiment. Maybe if I were committed to spending the $48 to read Wednesday Comics for the next 12 weeks the teeny tiny snippets found in this bundle of cumbersome folded paper would be more intriguing but as a stand alone experience it's little more than a collection of beautiful art with virtually nothing to back it up. Some strips handled the one page format better than others, but for the most part they barely hold their on with your standard online previews. If DC wants to sell me a Gaiman/Allred Metamorpho comic or Paul Pope's Strange Adventures I'm all for that, but they're going to have to give me a bit more than one page at a time.

Content: 6
Format: 1
Overall: 3.5

No one at any time ever described it as a stand alone book or experience. If you went in with that kind of expectation I can see how it would be disappointing.

I was told I was getting serial strips and that is what I got. it is all set up so I scored it lower than I would have a nice rounded out book, but it is breath taking and by far the best single issue I have read this week. Douglas Fredericks kicks its ass, but then Joe Kelly didn't write anything here and it ain't a comic either.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:No one at any time ever described it as a stand alone book or experience. If you went in with that kind of expectation I can see how it would be disappointing.

I was told I was getting serial strips and that is what I got. it is all set up so I scored it lower than I would have a nice rounded out book, but it is breath taking and by far the best single issue I have read this week. Douglas Fredericks kicks its ass, but then Joe Kelly didn't write anything here and it ain't a comic either.


Apologist, IMO.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 pm

amlah6 wrote:Apologist, IMO.

I'm not apologizing for shit. Nope, fuck that, I will apologize to rational people in the group for letting an obviously insane and deluded man run it.
User avatar

vinnypic

Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:07 pm

If you were born yesterday, I could understand being surprised by the length of story, format, paperstock, pricepoint, ETC.
User avatar

vinnypic

Expert Post Whore

Postby vinnypic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Kamandi: 10
Hawkman: 9
Flash: 9
Batman: 8
Superman: 8
Wonder Woman: 5
Green Lantern: 5
Deadman: 8
Teen Titans: 7
Strange Adventures: 7
Supergirl: 7
Sgt. Rock: 8
Metal Men: 7
Cat/Demon: 7
Metamorpho: 8

I give it an 8, solid. I'm on board for this grand experiment.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm not apologizing for shit. Nope, fuck that, I will apologize to rational people in the group for letting an obviously insane and deluded man run it.


Fuck you! I refuse to accept your apology until you kick Amlah in both shins with steel-toed elf booties!

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], IvCNuB4, Popeye McFly and 59 guests