Advertisement

Fuel Prices, and Some Tips

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Fuel Prices, and Some Tips

Postby L Independant » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:00 am

Yesterday: $115/barrel.
Today: $117/barrel.

Slumping U.S. dollar, geopolitical crises (such as Nigeria's goings-on today), and fears of slumping supply, blah blah blah.

I'm biking now. I've been pretty lazy about it these past few months, choosing to just be conservative on how much I drive, but without wiping it out of the equation altogether. I reserve the car now for the heavy or large hauls that I can't make on a bike. The end result? The tank of gas I bought 2 days ago will probably last until the end of May, if all goes according to plan. I haven't seen an increase in bicyclists, nor in the number of people waiting for buses (and few people walk around here).

I really feel for all the people being hit hard by this. If I weren't able to bike, I'd really be feeling it in the pocketbook as the buses here are $1.10/ride (not round-trip). That's almost 1/3 a tank of gas, and I don't think that's affordable to the average working class person.

And then there's the whole food price thing. THAT I really feel bad about, because the food banks are going empty.

I see gas hitting $4/gallon here by Memorial Day. It jumped $0.20/gallon here this week alone. Prices are worse in DC where my girlfriend lives so I take it she'll be taking the Metro as often as possible (which are those days she doesn't have to take clients for hospital visits). I'll be taking the Amtrak to see her this summer rather than driving anywhere. I think the only two road trips I'll take are to the coast, once, and to take my car home to my folks' in August just before I head to Turkey for the rest of the year.

Here's a PDF list I had to make for my old job in Michigan on how to save gas (and thereby, money and the planet), for those that drive.

On that note, I just received "The Power of Community" in the mail yesterday. I'm really eager to watch this, not because I think Cuba is any paragon (I don't), but because it'll be interesting to see the extent to which the small things people are doing around the world (local food, like that which might be near you, public transportation/biking) make a difference when put to practice in a "Global South" nation for people to meet daily their needs.

When my garden is flourishing, I'll be sure to post some pics. God bless my landlord. :D

Now back to writing my paper on why I hate corn as a feedstock for ethanol.

Advertisement

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:11 am

It makes me wish I worked closer to where I live. It's a 17 mile trip. Although I won't be driving for about a week. My car needs repairs, $890 in repairs to be exact. I'll be putting gas in the cars of people who give me rides to work.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:46 am

DeadFett wrote:It makes me wish I worked closer to where I live. It's a 17 mile trip. Although I won't be driving for about a week. My car needs repairs, $890 in repairs to be exact. I'll be putting gas in the cars of people who give me rides to work.
$890? That's quite a bit! Sorry, man. :(

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:54 am

L'Ind├ępendant wrote:$890? That's quite a bit! Sorry, man. :(

Thanks Shawn. So much for my "stimulus" check. The $890 sucks but at least I'll have that to help pay for it.

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby KingPagla » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:49 am

I take PT to work but I'm gonna try to start riding my bike to work (as soon as I fix it, anyway).
It's about 4 miles along the west side of Manhattan.

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Re: Fuel Prices, and Some Tips

Postby Severed Djed » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:30 am

L'Ind├ępendant wrote:I see gas hitting $4/gallon here by Memorial Day. It jumped $0.20/gallon here this week alone. Prices are worse in DC where my girlfriend lives so I take it she'll be taking the Metro as often as possible (which are those days she doesn't have to take clients for hospital visits).

I take Metro as often as possible as well.

The problem is that it doesn't have the resources to handle the load now, much less any increased ridership due to the cost of gas.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:31 am

I wish I lived in a community where we had public transportation. When we go to the Chicago Wizard World Convention, we're taking the train.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum