Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:good or bad?
I'm gonna need a score there yoni :roll:

considering that's not my review you can be patient.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:26 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:considering that's not my review you can be patient.

I think he's still teasing with his faux coup. :roll:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:32 pm

amlah6 wrote:I think he's still teasing with his faux coup. :roll:

I was making fun of Punchy, I expected 8000 words on Wed. COmics and instead we got "HMMMMM!"

Postby ****** » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:I was making fun of Punchy, I expected 8000 words on Wed. COmics and instead we got "HMMMMM!"

"I'm gonna need a score there yoni. :roll:" is a jab at Punchy? Interesting approach.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Wednesday Comics #1(of 12) - Various

I'm not quite sure of how to approach this review, as I normally focus on Story first, and then Art, but with Wednesday Comics, my normal 'style' doesn't really fit, there is no real story to speak of, each story, only a page, is all set-up, and while they could each lead somewhere interesting, it's hard to say after just reading one page of each, can you imagine judging anything based on the first page? But as a mood, as a feeling, as something that evokes all that is good about comics, Wednesday Comics cannot be beaten. And the art, man, the art is amazing.

Wednesday Comics is an experiment and an exercise in nostalgia. Hearkening back to the days of Sunday Funnies (where the comic book originated, unless you want to be pretentious and go back to the Bayeux Tapestry or Cave Paintings), each week we get 1 page of 15 continuing stories, each by some of the biggest names in comics, there are stories focusing on DC's big guns, such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman alongside lesser-known characters like Kamandi or Metamorpho. I really like the choice of characters here, DC have a huge stable of great characters, and often they go unused. Another good aspect of this is that it isn't just superhero stories, there is a War story, Sergeant Rock and Easy Company, and Kamandi and Strange Adventures are science-fiction, this variety adds to the old-school Sunday Funnies feel, where you'd have Prince Valiant next to Buck Rogers next to Pogo, while this isn't quite as varied, it's more than most DC books!

The array of talent DC has assembled here is top-notch and is the main reason to get this. Brian Azzarello, Neil Gaiman, Lee Bermejo, Paul Pope, Kurt Busiek, Dave Gibbons, Joe Kubert, and many more. This is like the All-Star DCU, each story stands alone and is set in a nostalgic world, or at least to me it seemed that way, perhaps it was just the format, but each story seemed steeped in Silver Age fun. Each story brought a smile to my face.

I do have my favourites, despite finding it hard to judge such a small snippet, John Arcudi and Lee Bermejo's Superman story looked beautiful, Dave Bullock and Vinton Heuck's take on Deadman was noir-ish and perhaps the most immediately gripping. Paul Pope's Strange Adventures was crazy insane fun, Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred on Metamorpho is a perfect fit, and I liked how it went for humour, a collaboration between Joe Kubert and his son Adam on Sergeant Rock was also a highlight. Even the generally reviled Dan Didio proved himself by penning a fun take on the Metal Men. Yes, some of the stories were less immediately satisfying than others, Wonder Woman was kind of confusing and Hawkman was about Hawkman, but each was beautifully drawn, and after only 1 page, I'm not ready to dismiss anything, Kyle Baker, Amanda Conner, Bryan Stelfreeze and Karl Kerschl are all fantastic artists, and even if the story isn't so strong, it's worth it to see their work on the big page.

Reading Wednesday Comics was a genuine experience, and I don't begrudge the fact that the stories ended abruptly, this is a weekly comic, they want you coming back for more each week and in many cases I really do want to see where they are going. It's sort of like 2000 AD really, I imagine US readers may have more of a problem with the weekly serial, but in the UK, we grow up with it, Zarjaz!
This book transports you back to an age when comics were for everyone, where there was variety, I've mentioned the War and Sci-Fi books, but it goes beyond even that, they even have a story focusing on the Flash's Girlfriend! You can tell there is love behind every page, and this contains more invention, ideas and sheer joy in it than any of DC's depressing events of the last few years. Mark Chiarello is probably the best editor at DC today, and it is a damn shame that his Solo book was not a success, but Wednesday Comics is it's spiritual follow-up, and I hope that it sells well enough to become a yearly, or at least re-occuring presence for DC, God knows we could do with more comics like this. It's not perfect, if you like to read for story primarily and are interested in continuity, this may not be for you, at least not until it is collected (and I am very intrigued as to how they will collect this). But if you appreciate the art just as much as story, and just want to read some great creators given free reign on classic characters, doing something new in the stagnant Big 2 world I highly recommend this. Wednesday Comics is a paper time machine to DC's history, yet it's also very much looking forward to the future.

Best Line - 'I'm afraid not my darling daughter. This journey is much too dangerous for a girl' from Gaiman and Allred's Metamorpho story, it represents the old-school feel of the project perfectly in my eyes.

8/10
Last edited by Punchy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Only 697 words this time!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:55 pm

amlah6 wrote:"I'm gonna need a score there yoni. :roll:" is a jab at Punchy? Interesting approach.

Yoni is known for his short, cryptic reviews with a score at the bottom letting you know what he thought. How are you and Yoni the only two confused by this?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Only 697 words this time!

justice was not done, imo.

Postby ****** » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:58 pm

thefourthman wrote:Yoni is known for his short, cryptic reviews with a score at the bottom letting you know what he thought. How are you and Yoni the only two confused by this?

Punchy's post didn't include any mention of a handjob, teasing that it was Yoni-like is stretching it, IMO.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:justice was not done, imo.

It's 700 now, made some edits.

I may have to add more.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm

punchy wrote:Yes, some of the stories were less immediately satisfying than others, ... Hawkman was about Hawkman

Nice review Punchy, love that line.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:02 pm

amlah6 wrote:Punchy's post didn't include any mention of a handjob, teasing that it was Yoni-like is stretching it, IMO.

and anyone other than me cares about your opinion? Did you just say "handjob?"

Yes, please.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Punchy wrote:It's 700 now, made some edits.

I may have to add more.

while you are editing change the comma after guns, Superman to a dash and put a dash after Wonder Woman or put it in (), the way it reads, I was like "wait, that's three guns."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:Punchy's post didn't include any mention of a handjob, teasing that it was Yoni-like is stretching it, IMO.

hahaah Amlah coming to myside, also I said I haven't even read the whole thing. Also will you pick a fucking avatar.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:48 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:hahaah Amlah coming to myside, also I said I haven't even read the whole thing. Also will you pick a fucking avatar.

No.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand