Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 pm

thefourthman wrote:if you want to play along, you got to follow the rules. It's like playing Jeopardy at home, if you phrase your answer incorrectly, you fail!

What is fail?

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Amoebas wrote:Do all non-review group persons have to comply with your silly clique scoring matrix or just me?

Fine. Be that way.

PS :-D

You were assimilated into the Matrix last week. We don't offer red pill/blue pill options. Sorry. :P

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:08 pm

When it comes to cosmic funny books, Annihilation kind of satisfies that need for me and as a result I don't read Green Lantern or Green Lantern Corps except in instances when they get picked for the Review Group. Having missed the boat on the Sinestro Corps War I was expecting to be a bit lost with this comic but for the most part I found that not to be the case. If a comic is good it doesn't matter what your prior knowledge of continuity is, you should be able to jump right in, and Blackest Night #1 is indeed a good comic. If it has failings it's that it does hit all the tropes of your standard first issue of an event, but clearly the Big 2's established event formula works because we all keep buying into it a couple of times a year. Certainly the book's high point is the "We have a mystery" page, that alone makes the book worth the time it takes to read it.

Again, not reading much of the main GL book over the past couple of years I don't get to see a lot of Ivan Reis, but the dude can draw and there is tons of shit to draw in this book. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain this level of quality and make this the first DC event drawn by one artist in forever. The colors were brilliant, Alex Sinclair is re-defining the current look of the DC Universe.

It's doubtful that I will pick up the next issue of this because it's just not a storyline that I have a vested interest in, but the toy Black Lantern rings that the LCS was giving out with this issue was a neat gimmick by DC.

Story: 8
Art: 9
Overall: 8.5

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:10 pm

And speaking of the parts of the book I didn't get, who is the Black Lantern dude? Am I supposed to know who he is?

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Good scores so far......

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:13 pm

amlah6 wrote:And speaking of the parts of the book I didn't get, who is the Black Lantern dude? Am I supposed to know who he is?

Do you mean Black Hand? He's an old-school villain, check out last week's GL #43 for his back-story.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Punchy wrote:Do you mean Black Hand? He's an old-school villain, check out last week's GL #43 for his back-story.

You check out GL #43 for his back-story and then tell me what it is. Gawd you're lazy. :roll:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

amlah6 wrote:You check out GL #43 for his back-story and then tell me what it is. Gawd you're lazy. :roll:

I'm lazy?

Irony!

OK, basically, he is the son of a Coast City Mortician and has always had a fascination with death, and is probably a Necrophiliac, when he was a kid, the alien Atrocitus (big red guy, leader of the Red Lanterns) hunted him down because of this 'connection to the black' or something, but Hal and Sinestro saved him, Hand found Atrocitus' weapon and used it to become a super-villain. In GL Rebirth, Hal Spectre burned off his hand, but some aliens gave him it back. Because he can hear the voice of the Black, he killed his whole family and then himself and was resurrected as the first Black Lantern.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

amlah6 wrote:You check out GL #43 for his back-story and then tell me what it is. Gawd you're lazy. :roll:

He started off as a goofy villain with a mysterious device that could suck up GL's ring power, retconned into a necrophiliac with a mysterious connection to whoever the big bad of Blackest Night is. He killed himself and came back as the first Black Lantern. He's the embodiment of 'The Black' the same way Ion is the avatar for Green Lanterns and The Sinestro Corps has Parallax
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:22 pm

King Impulse wrote:He started off as a goofy villain with a mysterious device that could suck up GL's ring power, retconned into a necrophiliac with a mysterious connection to whoever the big bad of Blackest Night is. He killed himself and came back as the first Black Lantern. He's the embodiment of 'The Black' the same way Ion is the avatar for Green Lanterns and The Sinestro Corps has Parallax

Thank you good sir, you are awesome. Unlike that good for nothing Punchie person.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:Irony!

Tastes like tofu.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm

amlah6 wrote:Thank you good sir, you are awesome. Unlike that good for nothing Punchie person.

I gave you a synopsis!

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Punchy wrote:I gave you a synopsis!

What? Where? I was distracted by KI's dancing avatar.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Punchy wrote:I gave you a synopsis!

You missed the most important bit!
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm

King Impulse wrote:You missed the most important bit!

No, he mentioned the necrophilia thing too.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand