Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:26 pm

amlah6 wrote:No, he mentioned the necrophilia thing too.

I meant the 'embodiment of The Black, similar to Ion and Parallax. (Also, the embodiment of Love is called Predator, how fucked up is that!?)
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:28 pm

King Impulse wrote:I meant the 'embodiment of The Black, similar to Ion and Parallax. (Also, the embodiment of Love is called Predator, how fucked up is that!?)

I don't think that's important, I hate that concept, I shun it!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:29 pm

King Impulse wrote:I meant the 'embodiment of The Black, similar to Ion and Parallax. (Also, the embodiment of Love is called Predator, how fucked up is that!?)

I read both of your posts and quite clearly the most important bit in both was the mention of necrophilia being in a mainstream comic book. What will the Comics Code Authority do when they hear of these shenanigans? It'll be like the 1950's all over again. Geoff Johns has finally gone too far!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:30 pm

amlah6 wrote:I read both of your posts and quite clearly the most important bit in both was the mention of necrophilia being in a mainstream comic book. What will the Comics Code Authority do when they hear of these shenanigans? It'll be like the 1950's all over again. Geoff Johns has finally gone too far!

It's not out-right mentioned, but it is very much hinted at.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Dugan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:31 pm

amlah6 wrote:I read both of your posts and quite clearly the most important bit in both was the mention of necrophilia being in a mainstream comic book. What will the Comics Code Authority do when they hear of these shenanigans? It'll be like the 1950's all over again. Geoff Johns has finally gone too far!

Compared to slaughtering his family and then blowing his own brains out that part of the issue was tame.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Punchy wrote:It's not out-right mentioned, but it is very much hinted at.

So it was off-panel necrophilia? Lame! :x

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't think that's important, I hate that concept, I shun it!

Me too to be honest. Kyle as Ion worked a lot better without the green whale and I still believe Hal just went batshit insane all on his own.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090715-BlackestNight10.html

For any RGers who are new to Johns' Green Lantern: '10 Things to know going into Blackest Night'

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:the book didn't fail. :roll:
It was awesome, if anything failed it was the Marvel marketing machine, which failed to capitalize on the book after the SI Crossover ended and allowed junior execs to run around the internet saying it had been canceled when it had not.
Sales figures do not equal quality or success (from a creative stand point).

(Fucking Hell, 4 pages of this shite already?)

I am too tired right now to find an appropriate FAIL! pic that I like and post it. Please imagine one right here that is to your liking:

Ok. #1 A book can be awesome and still fail to connect with the public. Sometimes those are the best books, hence the concept of a sleeper. Here though, I think it failed to connect with the public for all sorts of reasons, including the ones you mention and more. There were a lot of idiots involved here in some capacity, but the work has to stand on its own on some level, regardless of marketing. It's not like this book was hidden in any way. I only bought the first 3-4 issues, and they were pretty good--I agree. If I were Marvel I wouldn't have axed it just yet.

#2 I only said that to take the piss in someone's cornflakes anyway,figures it would be you :P .

Now I'm going to go read some comix.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Punchy wrote:http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090715-BlackestNight10.html

For any RGers who are new to Johns' Green Lantern: '10 Things to know going into Blackest Night'

-10 points to Punchy for linking to that site. :P :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 pm

MrBlack wrote:-10 points to Punchy for linking to that site. :P :wink:

The articles and interviews on Newsarama are still good.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:38 pm

That's dumb. Blackest Night #1 should include everything you need to know to enjoy Blackest Night (which it mostly does, random necrophiliacs aside). DC really should swallow their pride and do recap pages already.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm

That was a good read, my interest in this has grown a bit... the concept sounds pretty cool. I figure that I read Annihilation totally blind to any of those characters and loved it so maybe I will feel the same about Blackest Night.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm

amlah6 wrote:That's dumb. Blackest Night #1 should include everything you need to know to enjoy Blackest Night (which it mostly does, random necrophiliacs aside). DC really should swallow their pride and do recap pages already.

I was just trying to be helpful!

But I agree, recap pages are a good idea.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Blackest Night #1.

Suddenly I'm not upset I picked this book. Let me begin with a very typical Yoni begining, I am not a follower of continuity heavy books. I don't like following massive crossovers. I haven't since Infinite Crisis and if it weren't for pre-orders I wouldn't have finished it. Anytime I need to start worrying about where a character might be when something is happening bores the shit out of me and I stop caring about the character/universe/event. With that said, I thought this issue was something special.

Story- Geoff Johns reminded me why I use to read pretty much everything that ever had his name on it. This was such a well put together issue with well pacing and more than anything else characterization. Geoff may have written all of these characters at his and their best. Even the characters I didn't really know like the "damage???" seemed to have emotions. The only nitpicky thing I could possibly have about the continuity thing is Barry as opposed to Wally since, I like Wally and don't know where the hell he is. The scene with Hal and Barry talking about those lost was great. The Black Lanterns in general though are scary and EVS did an amazing job of creating them, probably taking some influence from Sean Philips Marvel Zombies but still giving them a tying feature other than decay. Which as good a time as any to move to the art.
Ivan Reis did such a great job. I've liked his work since it came on the scene in some issue of teen titans or something along those lines but he's getting so much better especially with an inker, the art was just great on the first splash page of the Hal and John and Kyle and Guy it looked like it could have been a page done by Tony Harris it was so good.

With all this it was just a great issue. I will probably follow this event to it's conclusion via the interwebs even though I have a pretty decent idea of where it's headed. [spoiler]at the PHX comic con EVS was asked if at any point the Lanterns would realize that just as black is a combination of the spectrum so is white and if the white light would be able to hurt the black, he didn't say much. Someone said,"There goes the ending." to which he replied, "No just the first issue." [/spoiler] Obviously this wasn't used here but could be coming down the pike. As I've said many times in this review I will say it again. Great Issue.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand