Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Punchy wrote:I haven't got mine yet, and it doesn't look like they'll be available in the UK until next week!

Stock up!

Although $10 is only like £6.09 or something to you guys.

Did anyone get a button as well? Mine says Death. Last week I got a button that said Rage.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:28 pm

amlah6 wrote:That's dumb. Blackest Night #1 should include everything you need to know to enjoy Blackest Night (which it mostly does, random necrophiliacs aside). DC really should swallow their pride and do recap pages already.

This is always my biggest complaint when we review DC books, a recap page would be nice... hell, I read em on the Marvel books that I follow.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Typo on pg. 11. No such thing as a "naval cavity". I don't know much about Damage, I am assuming they meant nasal cavity?

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:02 pm

House of J wrote:Typo on pg. 11. No such thing as a "naval cavity". I don't know much about Damage, I am assuming they meant nasal cavity?

He had a (belly) button nose.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:21 pm

MrBlack wrote:He had a (belly) button nose.

Heh heh.

I was working on a navel joke too, but it just wasn't going anywhere.

Damage, he's the guy with the messed up face who got briefly healed in JSA by Gogmagog or something, right?

guitargod694
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:44 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:This is always my biggest complaint when we review DC books, a recap page would be nice... hell, I read em on the Marvel books that I follow.

The weird part is, they often do include a recap page in their trades. All of the Green Lantern trades have a "the story so far" page at the front. But yes, a recap page wouldn't be the worst thing for them to include.
-Bill-

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 pm

I give this book:

$7.50 or More!

Oh wait, that's how much I hope the black plastic ring will bring, after eBay fees.

That's better. Ivan Reis is top-notch. No complaints whatsoever about the art. This could be downright painful to read if it weren't rendered so clearly and lucidly.

I especially like how he does all the green energy stuff the Lanterns are always throwing around and his Flash was very kinetic, if that makes any sense. Like he can't stand still until the news hits him and he takes a seat.

I've read Rebirth, Sinestro Corps, and one graphic novel of early Johns GL I got in a lot of books. Oh year, and GL #43 on impulse so I've got a pretty good idea of what the deal is here, and also Wikipedia'd all the rainbow coalition stuff.

I've NEVER liked Hal Jordan ever ever EVER. And I don't have a favorite between Kyle, John and Guy. They are all ok, but I'm just not a GL fan at heart.

The story starts to get good after all the memorial stuff. I had the same reaction as Barry, WTF, why are they keeping all these bodies in the basement? That is pretty fucking morbid, body snatchers or no plus most of these folks had family too, I'm certain. Of course, I don't know who most of them are anyway. But CREEPY!

Hal blows out a hologram of a whole lot of dead folks. Hawkman is a total dick to The Atom. One of the space-OompaLoompas bites another one, sticks in his thumb and pulls out...well, it looks like a pear actually. The Black Rings raise the dead and hallelujah because I hate it when something like that takes until the last page of issue 1 to happen. I am also glad the risen dead don't act like real zombies and are cognizant and powered up. Then the Hawkpeople stuff. They kick. I hope when they are Black Lanterns they love each other again because I can't take any more of their back-and-forth over it any longer. I don't read that many DC comics and I feel that's all I ever see them do.

I dunno if I'll follow the rest, but I may as well. I've got 2 buttons and a plastic ring, maybe I can eBay the whole thing when it's over.

Better than I thought it would be!

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:32 pm

King Impulse wrote:I meant the 'embodiment of The Black, similar to Ion and Parallax. (Also, the embodiment of Love is called Predator, how fucked up is that!?)

Heh Predator.

The animal spirit thing that comes with it should be Chris Hansen.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:47 pm

House of J wrote:The story starts to get good after all the memorial stuff. I had the same reaction as Barry, WTF, why are they keeping all these bodies in the basement? That is pretty fucking morbid, body snatchers or no plus most of these folks had family too, I'm certain. Of course, I don't know who most of them are anyway. But CREEPY!

It was a reference to Tomasi's first Nightwing arc where dead villains were getting dug up and re-animated (or something like that, I don't remember the details).

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Just read it. Liked it. Review tomorrow.
Hawkman is the lamest character ever.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Just read this. Loved it. Review probably tomorrow.

I didn't even get a ring. I would have had to buy one, and I chose not to. I guess I should've........

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 pm

just finished this and will review it tomorrow. Suffice to say, I really dug it. And I got a ring! Woo Hoo! My LCS dealer is a great guy! Always looking out for me.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Just read this. Loved it. Review probably tomorrow.

I didn't even get a ring. I would have had to buy one, and I chose not to. I guess I should've........

No, no, I think you should go with the earrings.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 pm

starlord wrote:just finished this and will review it tomorrow. Suffice to say, I really dug it. And I got a ring! Woo Hoo! My LCS dealer is a great guy! Always looking out for me.

And it will fit your tiny skinny wang.

Also I loved how even though Hal is the Green Lantern this was not a Hal issue.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:38 am

1. Blackest Night #1: Johns/Reis DC $3.99
FLESH! And so begins the epic Blackest Night event. It starts off slow then takes off. I could believe the amount of stuff packed into this issue. The story is so well done, Johns is playing around that’s for sure. The art was fantastic Reis really set the bar high. The last 12 pages are just spectacular, especially the Sue and Ralph stuff. From start to finish this is what it was built to be. The first issue has lived up to the hype. Could not be happier with the first issue, can’t wait to get more.
Oh and one more thing poor Hawkman and Hawkgirl.
10/10

And I'm wearing my Black Lantern ring right now

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand