Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:43 am

Yoni I hate and love you at the same time. :wink:

Blackest Night #1

by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis

So Geoff Johns got me back intop DC comics with JSA the lightning strikes arc and I've read everything he's put out since I got a subscription at my LCS. But only one thing really kept my interest completely and that was green lantern. So when I heard Blackest Night was going to be it's own event and not in the actual books like Sinestro, I got nervous. Glad to say so far my fears have been quelled.

There are plenty of reasons to list just why Blackest night worked extremely well. From Geoff Johns brilliant use of continuity (looking at you all the stuff between barry and hal) to Scar going after her fellow guardians it was all here. The issue builds up the suspense until those last few pages hit you as hard as humanly possible.

There are references to the past for longtime dcu readers as well as some very brilliant character moments to build up exactly what happens. Loved visiting coast city and seeing Hal's extended family.

Ivan reis pencils are truly the best of his career and go right next to yu's pencils from secret invasion. No writer can tell a brilliant story without a strong artist and here the art was strong in each panel. He took a few pages out of rags morales and ethan van scivers play books.

So all in all this was the way to start an event and i'm still in shock because of what happened in the end.

Story: 10
art: 10

Overall: 10 :-D

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 186 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 am

and before punch comes in and says something dumb the best line of the book,

They were never as close as us. Were they bun?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:33 am

guitarsmashley wrote:and before punch comes in and says something dumb the best line of the book,

They were never as close as us. Were they bun?

Ugh. I promise to keep buying it if those two get killed again!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:57 am

House of J wrote:Heh heh.

I was working on a navel joke too, but it just wasn't going anywhere.

Damage, he's the guy with the messed up face who got briefly healed in JSA by Gogmagog or something, right?

Yes. He got messed up by Zoom during Infinite Crisis and started wearing the mask (and having a really bad attitude). Gog (the big one) healed his face, and he became a jerk. Now he's back to looking like corned beef and hash, and he's slightly less of a douchebag.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 am

MrBlack wrote:Yes. He got messed up by Zoom during Infinite Crisis and started wearing the mask (and having a really bad attitude). Gog (the big one) healed his face, and he became a jerk. Now he's back to looking like corned beef and hash, and he's slightly less of a douchebag.

When was he introduced and did he ever have a different name? Is he The Atom's real son or something?

And Atomsmasher is the guy from the first Infinity Inc, right? I can't remember his name then..

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 am

House of J wrote:When was he introduced and did he ever have a different name? Is he The Atom's real son or something?

And Atomsmasher is the guy from the first Infinity Inc, right? I can't remember his name then..

Yeah, Nuklon.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:13 am

House of J wrote:When was he introduced and did he ever have a different name? Is he The Atom's real son or something?

Damage has always been Damage, although he had a different costume (and a face) when he was first introduced. He is the Atom's real son, although he was kidnapped and experimented on as a child, and didn't actually know his real father.

Atom Smasher is the grandson of an old reluctant-villain-turned-brief-hero Cyclotron, and the godson of the first Atom. He was originally with Infinity Inc. as Nuklon, complete with mohawk. He changed his name to Atom Smasher when he joined the JSA to honor both his legacies.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 18 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 am

amlah6 wrote:That's dumb. Blackest Night #1 should include everything you need to know to enjoy Blackest Night (which it mostly does, random necrophiliacs aside). DC really should swallow their pride and do recap pages already.

fuck you and fuck recap pages... they suck and take away a whole page of story momentum in a day an age where stories already take too long to tell.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:23 am

amlah6 wrote:Fuck, I knew I shouldn't have taken it out of the plastic baggie. My ring looks pretty stupid hanging around the neck of my Jack from LOST action figure now. :roll:

This also explains where fourthman has been all afternoon, clearly he's listing all of his shop's rings on ebay for personal profit.

no but that's where I'll be today!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am

I think my cup of kool-aid was expired. I am going to have to read again. Review will follow tomorrow ish??

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 186 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:42 am

thefourthman wrote:I think my cup of kool-aid was expired. I am going to have to read again. Review will follow tomorrow ish??

See this is even worse. We all liked it so you need to reassess yourself into not liking it. Fucking Hipster.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:47 am

guitarsmashley wrote:See this is even worse. We all liked it so you need to reassess yourself into not liking it. Fucking Hipster.

No, I have my damned review written with a 7.5. Every one freaking loves it, so I want to see if I missed something or was just too tired from dealing with hyperactive 7 year olds at vacation bible school to properly enjoy it. Shit happens. I don't normally reevaluate things, but when everyone seems to like something and I rake the writing it makes me wonder if I was just in a bad mood. I have a feeling that my problems will remain, but I want to read it again, before I commit myself to what I have said.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:19 am

thefourthman wrote:No, I have my damned review written with a 7.5. Every one freaking loves it, so I want to see if I missed something or was just too tired from dealing with hyperactive 7 year olds at vacation bible school to properly enjoy it. Shit happens. I don't normally reevaluate things, but when everyone seems to like something and I rake the writing it makes me wonder if I was just in a bad mood. I have a feeling that my problems will remain, but I want to read it again, before I commit myself to what I have said.

I think that is actually a very fair and nice thing to do. As long as in the end you stick to what you believe.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Anyone want to try and sell me on what to pick for next week? I've just read a bunch of previews and so far nothing really has stood out. Here's what I'm thinking about...

Immortal Weapons #1 - It's going to be an awesome book, but I just picked IIF my pick before last so it feels kind of soonish to do it again.

Lenore Vol. 2 #1 - I love Roman Dirge, but A) most of you would probably hate it and B) you probably couldn't find it anyway

Last Resort #1 - Nice art and the concept is funny, but the preview was kind of weak.

Nova #27 - I'm leaning towards Nova at the moment mainly because I hate fourthman.

Jack of Fables #36 - It's a stand alone issue and has Tony Akins art, but it's a guest writer which makes me nervous that it may not be representative. Plus I think I just hit a vague spoilery thing on the Vertigo blog that I would rather have not seen about the Fables crossover since I'm waiting for the trade.

Dethklok vs. The Goon #1 - I like the preview, but I've never seen the Comedy Central show that this ties into.

Emily the Strange: The 13th Hour #1 - I've always wanted to check this out, but the preview was kind of sparse.

Citizen Rex #1 - The solicitation sounds cool and it's the Hernandez Brothers who I haven't read much by, but would like to.

Youngblood #9 - I would love to pick this as I think it would be a lot of fun to review, but I also think a lot of people would just skip it on principal.

X-Force #17 - People seem to like the book and the preview has Domino...

G.I. Joe #7 - It took a little while for it to get going, but I like this series a lot and this is the first issue of a new arc. Definitely in my top 3 of potentials.

Incredible Hercules #131 - Solicit sounds okay, but I can't find a preview.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:48 pm

amlah6 wrote:Anyone want to try and sell me on what to pick for next week? I've just read a bunch of previews and so far nothing really has stood out. Here's what I'm thinking about...

Immortal Weapons #1 - It's going to be an awesome book, but I just picked IIF my pick before last so it feels kind of soonish to do it again.

Lenore Vol. 2 #1 - I love Roman Dirge, but A) most of you would probably hate it and B) you probably couldn't find it anyway

Last Resort #1 - Nice art and the concept is funny, but the preview was kind of weak.

Nova #27 - I'm leaning towards Nova at the moment mainly because I hate fourthman.

Jack of Fables #36 - It's a stand alone issue and has Tony Akins art, but it's a guest writer which makes me nervous that it may not be representative. Plus I think I just hit a vague spoilery thing on the Vertigo blog that I would rather have not seen about the Fables crossover since I'm waiting for the trade.

Dethklok vs. The Goon #1 - I like the preview, but I've never seen the Comedy Central show that this ties into.

Emily the Strange: The 13th Hour #1 - I've always wanted to check this out, but the preview was kind of sparse.

Citizen Rex #1 - The solicitation sounds cool and it's the Hernandez Brothers who I haven't read much by, but would like to.

Youngblood #9 - I would love to pick this as I think it would be a lot of fun to review, but I also think a lot of people would just skip it on principal.

X-Force #17 - People seem to like the book and the preview has Domino...

G.I. Joe #7 - It took a little while for it to get going, but I like this series a lot and this is the first issue of a new arc. Definitely in my top 3 of potentials.

Incredible Hercules #131 - Solicit sounds okay, but I can't find a preview.

Last resort would be awesome but it came out this week.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand