Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 am

My shop didn't have this so I won't be able to review. I was afraid to ask the clerk because he looked mean and scary. I just figured this didn't come out yet.

But not really. I'll review at the last minute like usual. :D

(yes, this is only funny to me.)

Advertisement

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:58 am

Whats with the rings, do they come with every copy of this comic. I'll be picking up my copy this weekend. Some positive reviews coming out so far.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 am

young neil wrote:Whats with the rings, do they come with every copy of this comic. I'll be picking up my copy this weekend. Some positive reviews coming out so far.

Shops who ordered more than 50 copies got the rings. If you ordered it through MOC you should get one, but you might want to e-mail them to make sure.

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:58 am

thefourthman wrote:except I back mine up.

About as much as Yoni backs up his Scott Pilgrim hate. :P

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 am

guitarsmashley wrote:He only wrote half of it.

He wrote the main Fat Cobra story. Swierczynski (who is just as awesome as Aaron) wrote the Danny Rand backup story.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 am

It's raining too heavily for me to go into town and get my comics, I'll go in tomorrow.

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:08 am

Punchy wrote:What about me?

7.29 / 7.55

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 am

Mr_Batman wrote:Do my scores!!

7.82 / 8.75

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 am

doombug wrote:I would also like to know my averages as I think I'm better then the three fuckers you already told combined. :-D

7.61 / 8.50

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:25 am

Out of the six I totaled, Punchy pretty clearly wins this round.

What I should compare is the self scores for everyone's picks with the group scores, but I probably should get some actual work done today. :(

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

doombug wrote:I don't get it?

while you are listening to MCR and Cutting, I will show you where to cut in order to bleed to death.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 am

Of course, the commercial and critical two punch of success for "Sinestro Corps War" meant that this story would leave its own title and become the mega crossover spectacle that begins here. It is well written and Johns does a brilliant job summarizing the bleak atmosphere of the DC Universe. If this book has a fault and I think it is an almost insurmountable one, it is that it encompasses too much.

Things are thrown out that will fall unnoticed to the casual fan. This is a significant problem. With all the build up to this point, the books of the Green Lantern brand have almost been a self contained universe. Now, it expands to reflect the deaths of Batman and Martian Manhunter. It is almost a natural step to make. Unfortunately, the nature of the event book means there will be more readers brought in by all the attention given the book.

Much of the Memorial Day happenings of this book require as much knowledge as Final Crisis did to grasp. This is the only way to make all of it resonate to the reader. Instead, it just comes off as a meaningless mass of death. What seems like Easter eggs and nods to previous happenings in the DCU quickly becomes a web of convoluted continuity.

read the rest here: http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p ... st-night-1

Score
Story 6
Art 9
Overall 7.5
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 am

amlah6 wrote:Out of the six I totaled, Punchy pretty clearly wins this round.

What I should compare is the self scores for everyone's picks with the group scores, but I probably should get some actual work done today. :(

Yay! I win!

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:22 am

14 reviews and it's only Friday morning, can we top 20? It's only happened twice since Review Group Year One.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:33 am

Well, I've still got mine to do.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand