Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Punchy wrote:Nighthawk isn't a tool! He doesn't appear often enough to have a personality!

:lol: He's got a point.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 am

Read this, no ring though, maybe next week the UK will get them.

I thought it was OK, some of Johns' usual stylistic things that annoy me, obvious metaphor, that sort of thing, but there were some exciting moments, and I did like how it was tackling the notion of comic book death in an interesting way. Johns has done some sort of meta-fictional work with Superboy Prime and I wonder if this will follow suit? The pairing of Hal and Barry Allen also worked well, Barry makes Hal less of a dick.

Review sometime tomorrow? Maybe Monday if I'm lazy.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Hmmmmmm this may end up being my highest scored book. I can dig it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:48 am

I haven't been able to find a copy yet, I'm trying another shop tomorrow. If not I'll have to review late when I get this in my box at the end of the month.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 am

young neil wrote:I haven't been able to find a copy yet, I'm trying another shop tomorrow. If not I'll have to review late when I get this in my box at the end of the month.

Have you checked your local Kangaroo pouch?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Have you checked your local Kangaroo pouch?

I don't usually like Australian Stereotypes, but funny you should say that I almost hit a Kangaroo on the way to work the other morning.

In other news, I got a copy of the book. Review hopefully up later today :D

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Blackest Night Review

Very rarely does a story as hyped up as this was actually deliver on that hype and this is one of those rare cases. This book was excellent from start to finish. It had enough story building to get things going and had enough shock and awe moments to grip the reader. The zombies were superr scary looking and especially creepy as the words rise and flesh permeate the pages. I'm not a hawkgirl or hawkman fan but for those few pages I felt like i'd known them forever. Have ralph and sue do the honors was especially gut wrenching and the perfect way to end this issue. I am very excited about this and I hope Johns can do this story the justice it deserves.

The art also was some of the best I've seen at DC in quite some time. The whole issue felt incredibly epic and this was a perfect team up of artist and writer.

My one issue was now that we see how easily hawkman and hawkgirl were killed, the black lanterns need to maintain that level of credibility. They can't just become fodder for the other lanterns. There needs to be more deaths. Even at the end some deus ex machina comes along and brings people back to life this series needs to have some killer death scenes from big names. Martian Manhunter needs to kill some people or I will be slightly upset.

Story 9.5
Art 9.5
Overall 9.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:54 pm

young neil wrote:I don't usually like Australian Stereotypes, but funny you should say that I almost hit a Kangaroo on the way to work the other morning.

In other news, I got a copy of the book. Review hopefully up later today :D

I don't either but I'd never noticed you were from Australia so I couldn't help it.

- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:05 pm

More advertisement!

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:20 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I don't either but I'd never noticed you were from Australia so I couldn't help it.

haha really. Well there you go. The more you know 8)

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:19 am

Punchy wrote:Review sometime tomorrow? Maybe Monday if I'm lazy.

It's Tuesday, write your review already! :x

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:58 am

amlah6 wrote:It's Tuesday, write your review already! :x

It's coming.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:28 am

Blackest Night #1

Geoff Johns has always been great at setups, and like Infinite Crisis and the Sinestro Corps War before it, the first issue of Blackest Night delivers in spades.

The issue begins by demonstrating why this event is so devastating to the DCU: loss of loved ones is a central part of being a superhero, but what happens when those loved ones come back...evil? We get some great character moments with a few of Johns' favorites (the Teen Titans, the Rogues, the JLI, the JSA, and the Hawks), as well as a beautiful splash page with Hal Jordan showing Barry Allen images of "everyone" who has died while Barry was gone. The conversation between Hal and Barry is especially moving, as is the discussion between the Hawks.

We also get a little bit of action in this issue, with the rogue Guardian Scar making her move, and the black rings racing out to claim soldiers for the Black Lantern Corps. The war begins on two fronts, with the rise of numerous dead Green Lanterns on Oa (and a few dead Sinestro Corps members and assorted criminals, I assume), as well as the resurrection of dead heroes and villains on Earth.

The deaths at the end hit especially hard for those of us who have followed these characters, especially given the identifies of the two people who commit the murders. Although death in comics is often used as a shock tactic, it actually works in this context, not only given the history of the characters who died, but the fact that it moves the plot forward by giving us some tantalizing hints regarding the goals of these Black Lanterns. It may not be quite as shocking as the last page of Infinite Crisis or the Sinestro Corps one-shot, but it is still an effective first issue.

The art from Ivan Reis is, as always, gorgeous. His two splash pages showing the dead DC heroes, and the resurrected Green Lanterns are both stunning, and he draws a mean (literally) Elongated Man.

I have been excited about this event for some months now, and this issue brought that excitement to a fever pitch. A great first issue.

Story: 9
Art: 9
Overall: 9

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:42 am

Punchy wrote:It's coming.

Are you writing a review or giving birth?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand