Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Ghost Ridered? I'm not familiar with the term....

High scoring book that gets sandbagged with the last couple of reviews.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 pm

amlah6 wrote:High scoring book that gets sandbagged with the last couple of reviews.

I am still angry about that.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:12 pm

amlah6 wrote:High scoring book that gets sandbagged with the last couple of reviews.

I see now

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:16 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Showoff!

More like twat.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:18 pm

I even gave it a 10...
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I even gave it a 10...

So did a few other people

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Reading Punchy's review, (a chore itself :P ) what is the supposedly meta part in the opening?

Is it the "That includes you" line?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Kerny wrote:Reading Punchy's review, (a chore itself :P ) what is the supposedly meta part in the opening?

Is it the "That includes you" line?

Yes.

Is my writing a long review really that annoying? If it is, I'll try and make them shorter, but even with this one, there was more I wanted to say.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Punchy wrote:Yes.

Is my writing a long review really that annoying? If it is, I'll try and make them shorter, but even with this one, there was more I wanted to say.

I was just ball busting here, I dig your reviews.

Hell without this one, I would have never gathered that the opening might have been some sort of 4th wall thing, so kudos. :)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Kerny wrote:I was just ball busting here, I dig your reviews.

Hell without this one, I would have never gathered that the opening might have been some sort of 4th wall thing, so kudos. :)

As I said, maybe I'm giving Johns too much credit and he's not being meta... but if he is... I liked it.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Punchy wrote:As I said, maybe I'm giving Johns too much credit and he's not being meta... but if he is... I liked it.

I'd like to think it is. I like stuff like that. Hell, I love Superboy Prime.

I don't like the recent development that gave him in L3W though

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Kerny wrote:I'd like to think it is. I like stuff like that. Hell, I love Superboy Prime.

The Time Trapper thing? Yeah, I'm not crazy about that either, I have no idea about Legion History though, so whatever, hopefully Lo3W #5 will clear it up.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Kerny wrote:I'd like to think it is. I like stuff like that. Hell, I love Superboy Prime.

It really came out of nowhere, but I hope the next issue will clear things up.

I was more happy about Superboy's return

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:04 am

Maybe I'm just feeling a little burnt out on these events.

Yes. I just said that. The guy that has written up the details of every issue of Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and War of Kings. I think the burn out is finally starting to hit home. With DC, I'm a big Green Lantern fan (go Kyle!), so I've been anticipating this event since the Sinestro Corps War ended two years ago. It might have been too long of a wait, actually. I've been ready for the full on color war for too long now. It's time to get on with it.

Green Lantern has been the hidden horror/science fiction comic in DC's arsenal since it started back up with Rebirth. There are some seriously messed up moments straight out of a horror movie through it's run. Plus it's basically about space cops. It changes up the whole super hero dynamic in a way that keeps me interested. The book is good and the lead up to Blackest Night has been mostly good stuff (I still would have cut down the Secret Origin story, for examply). Blackest Night is the culmination of all those horror elements and looks to be a classic Zombie tale... except these zombies have super powers and have intelligence. They actually seem more like dark side dopplegangers of their former heroic selves.

What I could have used less of in this issue was the rest of the DC Universe. I was promised this would be a Green Lantern centric event and, for the most part, it was. At the same time, I would have prefered more of the Corps to make their presense known and for less time to be devoted to the rest of the DCU. Flash was fine and his scenes with Hal almost (almost) make me happy that Barry is back. He still replaces the best Flash, though, so he doesn't win many points from me. Since most of these Black Lanterns were DC Earth heroes, it's only fair that we see some hero scenes around the issue. Still... the Flash Rogues? Eh. Maybe I was just hoping to see the color war start up right away and the Lanterns would be central to that.

All in all, the issue set up what it needed to set up and got me excited for more. I may be burnt out on the whole event thing but that doesn't stop me from still getting excited about it. I've been waiting for this event too long to just fall asleep now that it's here.

I was sad to see Hawkman and Hawkgirl die (again). I liked the current versions and if any death hits the revolving door of resurrection, it's the Hawks. At the same time, I see why they redied. The Black Lanterns are returning those who should be dead to death. Then they'll go for everyone else. This explains why J'onn went after Hal and Barry and should also tell you who else is on the Black Lantern's list. Stuff like that should make this a fun event and, even though it'll focus on some of those DCU characters other than the GLs, I'm not against it. I just want more Green Lantern action and don't want to see the GLs take a back seat in their own event.

Ivan Reis is a great artist that I've enjoyed since around the Rann-Thanagar War. I think I've got an Iron Man issue from him from much earlier but I remember the art not being as good as his later work. He also did some great work on Superman that almost got me to pick that title up at the time (Chuck Austen kept me away, actually). He continues to deliver great work here and I can't wait to see what he does after Blackest Night.

It's a solid issue that devotes too much time to DC Earth but I can't really hold that against it. It's good to see Hal actually mention he might be a pilot in the Air Force even though he's never actually doing that job anymore.

Blackest Night, you get a 7. It's not you, it's me.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand