Advertisement

Review Group Week 180 - IMMORTAL WEAPONS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 137 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:Maybe, swollen tongue and glands.

what new ebay garbage? I been listing stuff all day, what did I miss?

I'm sure you know all about not pressing on them and releasing lymph into your bloodstream and stuff like that. Usually swollen lymph glands or nodes are the body's warning sign of an infection of some kind.

As to eBay--Ugh. I'll find you a link. It's a lot to digest. eBay's "Fall Release" (of shit all over buyers and sellers). I love how they try to make a load of arbitrary changes right before the holidays a positive...

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200907.sht ... 7-27072554

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:59 pm

House of J wrote:I'm sure you know all about not pressing on them and releasing lymph into your bloodstream and stuff like that. Usually swollen lymph glands or nodes are the body's warning sign of an infection of some kind.

As to eBay--Ugh. I'll find you a link. It's a lot to digest. eBay's "Fall Release" (of shit all over buyers and sellers). I love how they try to make a load of arbitrary changes right before the holidays a positive...

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200907.sht ... 7-27072554

It's not that bad. THe DSR shit is stupid, especially the bit about being stricter with them in the future cause a 4.5 is fucking strict, what the hell? And 1's and 2's, if you got a fucking 4.5 you can't have a bunch of fucking 1's and 2's or you wouldn't have the fucking 4.5 to begin with.
They should just do away with that shit to begin with or at least remove the shipping price question, cause it is malarky.

The only other thing that really bugs me is taking away the ability to charge for insurance. You can add to the item or the s&h if you want, which will result in lower dsrs and people less likely to buy your item cause your shipping seems crazy.

The rest of it just seems like legaleeze bs, a bunch of new features I will never use, I am glad they are taking away stupid shit like borders cause it was dumb. I am glad they are making the product descriptions actually be relevant, although that means spending time with the knuckleheads making sure they are filling the damn things in. Oh and the new problem resolution stuff sounds cool, especially about the bit about blocking negative feedback from people who don't pay is cool. The bit about not counting international feedback is kind of dumb, they should just move to a dual system. If you are charging fair rates and doing right by the customers through communication and listing the bit about customs fees, you shouldn't be getting negative international feedback. I like the bit about being able to say where you won't ship, because that will make it easier for me to block out Australia, sorry young neil, but your fellow countrymen are a pain in the ass.

All and all, none of those changes will affect me very much.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Immortal Weapons #1

I had no previous knowledge of Fat Cobra before this, so from the little background information I knew, I thought he sounded like a cool character. Indeed he was, and still is. This issue's main story was heartwarming, but extremely freaky and messed up at the same time. The whole kids thing was something I wasn't expecting at all. The history behind him was interesting, and it was funny to see his reaction about the things he didn't know. The scene when he was fighting the girl, and they were saying all the moves was funny too. I felt a little sad for him, but at the same time I was thinking "Wow, that's so messed up". The different artists were good for the most part.

The back-up story was very cool too. I liked the art, and I really can't wait for more. It'll be interesting to learn about the other Immortal Weapons. I definitely want to go back and read the Iron Fist stuff

Story- 7.5
Art- 8
Overall- 7.75

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Immortal Weapons review

This wasn't as much fun as I thought it'd be but it was still a pretty good read. The art was definitely the best part but the writing certainly wasn't sub par by any means. I understand the hate by some of you once you learn that he killed all of his children but I don't feel quite as strongly. He had no connection to these kids and afterall they came hunting him, not the other way around. The actually did find myself enjoying the back story a little bit more though and I look forward to seeing that story through. A good old fashioned karate revenge story is exactly the type of stuff I enjoy so this should be fun.

Story 7
Art 8
Overall 7.5

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:21 pm

The Immortal Weapons #1 : Fat Cobra
I loved Bru and Fractions Iron Fist (especially with Aja's pencils!) I even loved Swiercynskis run (despite Foreman's pencils but I will say he got much better towards the end of his run). I really liked this but did not love it. I did not care for the present day art which sadly was the majority, I think it was the faces I did not like... all the flashbacks were great, especially the Lark penciled flashback. The story was good, sort of a downer... I was hoping for a Chinese Hercules type thing and somewhat got that but I didn't want to feel like shit after reading it. The flashbacks were not only the best of the art they were also the best of the story, seeing Fat Cobra getting Tijuana Two-Step on was funny as was his creepy ass checking out the Swiss college girls. I felt that I got all the things I wanted out of a Fat Cobra book but I still felt like this could have been better.
The backup story seems like a pretty cool setup, I glad I will be able to get some sort of IF fix while the title book is on hiatus, Foreman is either really coming around or I am just used to his art. I hope when this mini is over they keep IF going with Swiercynski, he did not get enough credit for keeping this book awesome after Bru and Fraction left.

STORY - 8

ART - 6

OVERALL - 7.5

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 pm

amlah6 wrote:That wasn't Yoni's review, Gillen was quoting 48THRiLLS.

Haha! I still stand by my review. I still love how he threatened me with his twitter following... and I said nice things about the book, I loved the art but the story was just ehhh... it was not written for me I suppose.

...on a side note, a friend of mine randomly played The Pipettes 'Pull Shapes' and I was like wow this is kinda cool who is this and when she told me the name of the song and band I felt like an ass.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 am

The last trade of Iron Fist, contained the one-shots, and although being very well written, killed the momentum of the story. Immortal Weapons #1: Fat Cobra has re-invigorated my love for The Immortal Iron Fist and the rich tapestry of characters that has been created as his supporting cast.

Immortal Weapons #1 focuses on Fat Cobra, and draws on the idea that he has hired someone to write about his life to re-tell his origin. This narrative style is un-biased and gives us a look at the characters own reactions to his life and what he has done to make it to where he is today.

I liked the idea of using different artists to portray future and past tenses. I loved the art, all of it, and that’s a steep call. All art styles are independent and great for their own reasons.

Jason Aaron can again do not wrong, and I tried not to let the fact that he was writing sway my opinion when I was reading this issue. This issue made me sorry, yet again for switching to trade with Iron Fist. Great read, highly recommended.

Story – 8
Art - 8

Really, really quick review, sorry about that. Had a huge couple of weeks, but I didn't want to not post a review, gotta try for the best score possible :D

Hey Amlah, I know you're a huge Iron Fist fan, is the regular series coming back after the Immortal weapons mini?

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 am

young neil wrote:Hey Amlah, I know you're a huge Iron Fist fan, is the regular series coming back after the Immortal weapons mini?

Hopefully, but they haven't announced anything.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 am

It better come back, Swierczynski was improving with every issue, and I want more Orson Randall stories from him.

Maybe they will expand the scope and have it involve Luke too? Or Misty and Colleen.

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 pm

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Well, HoJ and I only brought the overall score down by about a point it seems.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:00 pm

MrBlack wrote:Well, HoJ and I only brought the overall score down by about a point it seems.

The rest of the group are all big fans of child murder.

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Punchy wrote:The rest of the group are all big fans of child murder.

If they would just legalize that and marijuana, America would be perfect.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 pm

I should review tonight... depends on how I feel. Night time has been rough the past few days.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 137 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:36 pm

MrBlack wrote:Well, HoJ and I only brought the overall score down by about a point it seems.

That sounds about right, then. Everyone else seemed to march in lock-step around 7.5-8. Thinking back on all the comics I've read over the years, no way would I give this book an 8. It was ok. I still admit it might be more interesting to an Iron Fist reader, and I'm not sure I've read anything else by the writer.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand