Advertisement

Review Group Week 181 - MICE TEMPLAR: DESTINY #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:52 pm

amlah6 wrote:There's a full recap of the first volume on the inside cover that was fairly detailed, but I'm glad I went back and re-read Prophecy before this as the issue is dense.

I'm definitely curious to see how everyone who hasn't read the first volume reacts to this issue, I'm afraid it could be a bit overwhelming.

I gotta admit, the first read-through didn't really bring it all together for me. I looked last night but didn't find a better synopsis anywhere better than the one in the book. The first 8 pages or so are a recap too, right? Or a flashback? How long ago did all that happen?

Lots of mice with lots of names.

The 2nd shop I went to had only one shelf copy. I don't know about the first one because all the books were water-damaged and I left.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 38 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:10 pm

House of J wrote:I gotta admit, the first read-through didn't really bring it all together for me. I looked last night but didn't find a better synopsis anywhere better than the one in the book. The first 8 pages or so are a recap too, right? Or a flashback? How long ago did all that happen?

The 2nd shop I went to had only one shelf copy. I don't know about the first one because all the books were water-damaged and I left.

Flashback, before the first series began, basically Cassius is old enough to be Kharic's great great grandfather (at least).

With the exception of Cassius and Pilot, the Templars in that sequence have not been in the book.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:14 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm definitely curious to see how everyone who hasn't read the first volume reacts to this issue, I'm afraid it could be a bit overwhelming.

That's why I struggled with my score. From the standpoint of someone familiar with the story, it is perfect. I definitely think it is going to be too much information at once to folks who have not read The Prophecy.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:27 pm

House of J wrote:I gotta admit, the first read-through didn't really bring it all together for me. I looked last night but didn't find a better synopsis anywhere better than the one in the book. The first 8 pages or so are a recap too, right? Or a flashback? How long ago did all that happen?

Flashback. It takes place prior to volume 1 and begins to explain in a bit more detail the fued between Pilot and Cassius that was a major plot point near the end of Prophecy.

:smt045

Back when the original #1 came out it took me a while to warm up to the book because there were just so many characters and so much mythology that gets thrown at you all at once that it's almost too much to take in. This issue takes that even further as now there are the original 7 issues worth of story built into it as well. I do think though that the issue gives new readers a good idea of what the series is about in terms of it being a sword and sorcery fantasy story with it's own established and growing mythology. Like with anything else, the more you read it the easier it is to follow.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:With the exception of Cassius and Pilot, the Templars in that sequence have not been in the book.

The Blacksmith guy was featured pretty heavily in the first two issues (I don't have the book in front of me so I'm not even going to attempt to spell his name, D-something) and the names of some of the other mice in that section were mentioned at various points during the first volume as well.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 pm

It's in my box coming soon. Now I only bought the first issue and did not continue on as a regular pull. I kind of was bored with the first series at the end, but I cannot deny there was some strong potential, so I'm hoping that picks up a little.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:40 pm

All right, I'm going to try reading this again. Round one left me with basically no clue, no haiku, nothing.

Shiro
Attorney at Law

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Shiro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Might get involved, tbh.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Shiro wrote:will most definitely get involved

Fixed.

What's this "might" crap? :x :P

Shiro
Attorney at Law

Postby Shiro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:34 pm

The thing of it is, Mice Templar is one of those comics that my LCS doesn't get many copies of.

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Shiro wrote:The thing of it is, Mice Templar is one of those comics that my LCS doesn't get many copies of.

:(

There's always next week. :wink:

Shiro
Attorney at Law

Postby Shiro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see how I handle my first Marvel comic in 2 years when one comes up.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:47 pm

A week late but here is my take on Immortal Weapons

I love this ish. I haven't read any of the previous Iron Man stuff, but I still heard about the food consuming and Wench master himself, Fat Cobra

This issue hits all the right chords with me. It's funny, it's sad, it's tragic. Fat Cobra is just a fun character. Who else but he could best Hercules and Volstaag in a eating contest? Who else would teach Elvis kung-fu? And who else would be forced to murder hundreds of his own kids as they tried to kill him......FAT COBRA

The art was nice. Everyone did a pretty good job I thought. Nothing really to talk about for me, just thought it was solid

Story 9
Art 7

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Shiro wrote:Yeah. It'll be interesting to see how I handle my first Marvel comic in 2 years when one comes up.

Pretty much every Marvel book is good these days, you'll be fine.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand