Advertisement

Review Group Week 181 - MICE TEMPLAR: DESTINY #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't know, my traffic is down but my sales are up! :? So who knows.

Points to it probably really being a calculating error, I hope. Although I don't have a store there right now.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm going to have pass on this week as I just can't get myself to the comic store and buy something I already dropped after getting 4 issues of.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:00 am

It is way too late and I am way too tired to write a decent review, so this will have to do...

I liked the first volume of Mice Templar quite a lot. With this first issue of Destiny, the series has picked up where Prophecy left off in a rather spectacular fashion. This issue is crammed with story and information from the first page to the last, so much so that at times it can border on being overwhelming even for someone like myself who has read the first series a couple of times. There are tons of great character moments and the setup for this series looks promising. Karic calling on Wotan so soon and in that situation was a bit shocking, so I hope that will be followed up on in subsequent issues.

Mike Oeming's pages in this issue might just surpass anything he had done so far in a Mice Templar comic. The double page spread of the Templar battle was all different kinds of awesome. After that Victor Santos, while lacking the dynamic oomph of Oeming's layouts and characters, does an admirable job of maintaining the visual style of the book and gives hope that there will be little or no drop in quality going forward.

Story: 9
Art: 9
Overall: 9

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 am

Ugh. I've heard so much good things about these mouse knight type of comics but this thing was thoroughly disappointing.

FAR too much random story elements thrown in. I swear at one time there was a back story within a backstory. As it stands, there's too much back story and no enough actual forward momentum. The main two characters are interesting but it seems like I've caught this story too late. The story is bogged down in details and it's hard to follow.

Not helping is the art. It's beautiful in parts but doesn't flow well. The panel work is kind of poorly done. The two main characters are only differentiated by the older one having a scar (as far as I can tell). It would have been better if they had at least been different colors or something. In certain parts, I actually forgot which mouse I was following. The story also seems to be chaotically narrated. There's a good tale underneath all the dreck but there's so much exposition that even Gandalf would shy away.

This comic was just not that good.

Mice Templar, you get a 4. Blech.

Postby ****** » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:30 am

thefourthman wrote:So the book is officially Doom Patrol.

[center]Image
Doom Patrol #1
as selected by thefourthman[/center]
Written by Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis
Art by Matthew Clark and Kevin Maguire

Come one, come all! The world's strangest Super Heroes are back, and they brought those robot guys along with 'em! Thrill to the strange adventures of the Doom Patrol, with script by Keith Giffen and art by Matthew Clark! Whether you think you know 'em or you wouldn't know 'em if they bit you on the behind, this Doom Patrol's for you! But that's not all! Read all the way to the back cover for the all-new adventures of those elemental everymen, the Metal Men, featuring the triumphant return of the creative team that brought you JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL! That's 40 full pages of comic-bookery for just under four American dollars. So why not try some Doom Patrol with a side order of Metal Men today?

DC Universe | 40pg | Color | $3.99 US

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 am

Oh Crap! Next week is Punchy's turn! :shock:

Hold on to your Bendis loving hats, kids! :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 am

is it too late to change my pick? :-D

I should have picked Incarnate #1

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:10 am

starlord wrote:Oh Crap! Next week is Punchy's turn! :shock:

Hold on to your Bendis loving hats, kids! :P

The relaunch of Ultimate Spider-Man is a definite possibility.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 am

Punchy wrote:The relaunch of Ultimate Spider-Man is a definite possibility.

since I'd be picking that up anyway, I say it sounds great! :D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:16 am

starlord wrote:since I'd be picking that up anyway, I say it sounds great! :D

It's actually a really good week for new books, there's Spider-Man, Millar's new Ultimate Avengers and also Adventure Comics #1.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:20 am

In all seriousness, whatever you choose, I shall read. That's what it's all about. :-)

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 am

Punchy wrote:It's actually a really good week for new books, there's Spider-Man, Millar's new Ultimate Avengers and also Adventure Comics #1.

All three sound really cool, and I'm getting all three, it doesn't really matter.

Postby ****** » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 am

Punchy wrote:It's actually a really good week for new books, there's Spider-Man, Millar's new Ultimate Avengers and also Adventure Comics #1.

Marvels Project is supposed to ship that week as well.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:37 am

Any of those would be a good choice. I am personally picking up only the latter two, but I certainly wouldn't mind checking out the relaunched Ultimate Spidey.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:39 am

The Mice Templar Volume II: Destiny #1 - Untitled - Glass, Oeming, Santos and Gandini

Story - OK, this definitely will be a short one, because I really don't have much to say. This was a fine comic, solidy plotted, and there's a lot of attention payed to a what seems like a fascinating back-story and world that Glass and Oeming have created but... since I have not read the first mini-series I was pretty much totally lost. This is like jumping into the Two Towers without reading the Fellowship of the Ring, like the Empire Strikes Back without Star Wars, I'm not getting the full story and as such my appreciation of this book is a lot smaller than it probably should be. If I was a better comics fan, nay, a better person, I would have read the first series, and like this a lot more, but alas... It's only OK. Perhaps I should blame the book for not having enough exposition for a new reader, but really, there was plenty, we learn about Karic's family, his fake mentor Pilot, and his new one, and the overall plot of the puppet Mouse King. I just didn't feel like it affected me, it just seemed like standard hero's quest stuff, shades of Star Wars really. It's my own fault, not Glass'

The idea of Mice and other forest creatures in a Fantasy/Medieval setting is nothing new, there's some of it in Narnia, I used to love the Redwall novels of Brian Jacques when I was a kid, and in a bit of a Bug's Life/Antz situation, David Peterson's Mouse Guard has recently enjoyed a lot of success, but I think Mice Templar is different from these, because of the violence, this isn't cutesy animals having fun adventures, this is brutal Conan-esque stuff, but just with Mice. It was refreshing to see, and very unexpected, the opening flashback fightscene and the Owl splashpage were particularly hardcore.

So in the end, I don't know if I can feel comfortable giving this a score, I am reviewing pretty much blind. I will say that it did make me interested in checking out the first series in trade, but if you aren't familiar with the world of Mice Templar, best to start at the beginning.

Art - I'm a big fan of Mike Oeming, his Powers work is exceptional, and his opening 8 pages here are pretty great too. He's a bit of a chameleon, and here he eschews his Bruce Timm/Alex Toth style and gives us angular mice hacking the shit out eachother, it's impressive. Victor Santos does the rest of the art, and to be honest, I didn't really notice much of a transition, he does a capable job of emulating the tone Oeming sets.

Best Line - When the Owls come swooping down '... To send us your aid as you promised!'

I score this a 6/10 but if I get round to the first mini, that will probably go up, the low score doesn't reflect the book, but me.
Last edited by Punchy on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand