Advertisement

Review Group Week 182 - DOOM PATROL #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 pm

Punchy wrote:I actually thought it was a pretty good series, Matt Sturges is a good writer.

I think either Mallah or Grodd fell off a cliff to their death, but then wasn't dead.

I didn't say it wasn't good, I liked it too. However, it seems as if that entire year of comics never existed continuity wise.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:38 am

Read this book on a whim. Only thing I know of Doom Patrol is of their appearance in the Teen Titans tv show. That and their villains ie the Brotherhood of Evil given their appearances in Batgirl and Teen Titans. So with that said honestly the book was average I mean the dialogue and art where there but there wasn't much anything else.

No real good answer as to why they're raiding this base? Nor much care for the team member who bites it and I'm still doing a double take just how she died as well. Still the thing that saved this book for me was the Metal Men. Now that book again I have no clue though this time it's merger it had with Marvel and it was Magneto. Awesome pair of books those where.

Anyway, a fun issue with some witty banter and art. Even though it suffers from the same problems as Doom Patrol did with jumping right into the action it's still better. Honestly giant wooden monster is so much easier than a girl who just suddenly strips from her clothes and skin to reveal she's an android (which like the bandage dude remarked was kinda hot). So out of ten I give the book:

Writing: 4 (MM) 7
Art: 7 (MM) 8
Overall: 6 (MM) 7

Metal Men was just more entertaining to me the new reader than just Doom Patrol.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 am

I guess I'll save my own disappointment for my review, when I can bring myself to write it.

If you've no history with the DP this'll do nothing for you and if you do there's nothing for you here but sour grapes.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Blackest Night #1

Postby Hermit_Sage » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 am

Its late but screw you, I am just happy to get comics these days, and ONCE again I forgot to pre-order next month so now in like a month I will have a hassle of having to pay extra for comics when I can barely afford it! damn you economy.

Anyone this issue was awesome! Thank goodness I had no real attachments to Kendra or Carter cause that would have just sucked balls. it was a standard set up issue, but it had pretty art and I can't wait to read the Flash/Jordan vs. Martian Manhunter fight! (yes I know its been out for weeks, I just got my box of comics yesterday).

overall - 9

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 am

I finished the Doom Patrol this morning and was not impressed (although it was a HELLUVA lot better than the Morisson crap). Still have to read Metal Men.

Review will be up tonight.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:51 am

Punchy wrote:I actually thought it was a pretty good series, Matt Sturges is a good writer.

I think either Mallah or Grodd fell off a cliff to their death, but then wasn't dead.
Sturges generally is a good writer, but you're just wrong. that mini was garbage of the highest order. one of the worst things i've read from DC in a long time, and that's saying something.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 am

chap22 wrote:Sturges generally is a good writer, but you're just wrong. that mini was garbage of the highest order. one of the worst things i've read from DC in a long time, and that's saying something.

Agreed. Salvation run was just terrible.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I liked Salvation Run, it was fun to see all the villains acting in such a manner, my problem is that it was pointless as was most of what DC put out during that period. It didn't lead to anything, in the end it didn't change anything, it's like it didn't happen.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:I liked Salvation Run, it was fun to see all the villains acting in such a manner, my problem is that it was pointless as was most of what DC put out during that period. It didn't lead to anything, in the end it didn't change anything, it's like it didn't happen.

I agree. It was fun but ultimately meant nothing...

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:41 pm

can't get my books this week so no review from me. :cry:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 pm

doombug wrote:can't get my books this week so no review from me. :cry:

but you can review next week.

Shiro
Attorney at Law

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Shiro » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Can't get to my LCS this week, so I did an online order, which indluded Doom Patrol.

Away all weekend, so review to follow next week sometime.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Hey HOJ,

So I got this asshole on Ebay... sent him a book. Have sent out at least five copies of this book, received nothing but great feedback on this book till this guy. Who sends me an email saying the box was damaged when he got it and as a result the book is damaged. So he wants either a refund of x amount or he'll return it for a full refund. I deal in collectibles, so my return policy is merchandise exchange, cause you are always gonna have someone who doesn't like this that or the other about something.

Anyhow, I did my normal deal when I get a complaint on a shipped item. Send me a picture of the damage and I'll see what the owner wants to do. this saves everyone a lot of time and hassle. However, I noted that there was insurance on the purchase. Easy enough, call the post office, they damaged it in transit, they are culpable, that's what the insurance is for. IN my initial email, I explained to him that with the insurance the po should be his first recourse.

Anyhow, this guy is like do this or I'm filing a paypal complaint.... blah blah blah.... never ever once talked insurance and flat out said he was not going to provide proof of damage.

The boss man told be to hold firm on this one, which I was gonna do anyhow, but what do you think?

I think the guy is an ass.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey HOJ,

So I got this asshole on Ebay... sent him a book. Have sent out at least five copies of this book, received nothing but great feedback on this book till this guy. Who sends me an email saying the box was damaged when he got it and as a result the book is damaged. So he wants either a refund of x amount or he'll return it for a full refund. I deal in collectibles, so my return policy is merchandise exchange, cause you are always gonna have someone who doesn't like this that or the other about something.

Anyhow, I did my normal deal when I get a complaint on a shipped item. Send me a picture of the damage and I'll see what the owner wants to do. this saves everyone a lot of time and hassle. However, I noted that there was insurance on the purchase. Easy enough, call the post office, they damaged it in transit, they are culpable, that's what the insurance is for. IN my initial email, I explained to him that with the insurance the po should be his first recourse.

Anyhow, this guy is like do this or I'm filing a paypal complaint.... blah blah blah.... never ever once talked insurance and flat out said he was not going to provide proof of damage.

The boss man told be to hold firm on this one, which I was gonna do anyhow, but what do you think?

I think the guy is an ass.

The guy is undoubtedly an ass. Your feedback can absorb a neg with no problem--I got my first one recently. What for? Groan. I got a stupid dipshit who doesn't understand the way larger-than-average hardcovers are bound. I won't bore you with the details, but it was a new book in perfect shape. Of course the buyer refused to answer any polite emails trying to nicely inform them of their stupidity on the matter. It still blows me away that there is no recourse for situations like that.

So, the first thing to do is add the buyer to your BBL, and then send me a PM so I can do the same.

Do you have another of the same item to send them if they return the "damaged" one?

Of course I can't say without reading the emails, but it sounds like the buyer is verging on feedback extortion, or heading in that direction. So make sure your communications go through eBay and save 'em. It's unlikely to do you any good in any event, but do it anyway.

The package is insured, which is good--insurance is protection for you, the seller. A claim can be filed by either buyer or seller, but can take a month or two to be processed and approved/denied.

Sounds scammy to me, since the package is insured I would have the buyer return it if they are unwilling to file a claim, either because of laziness or dishonesty, so that you can file a claim. I wouldn't refund anything until the package and item are back in my hands.

You're thinking what I'm thinking, they are trying to extort a partial refund from you without proving any damage or going to the trouble of filing a claim for an insured package. I hate to reward people like that, or further reinforce the fact that eBay is an easy place to scam people so I would want to be firm as well. You have set your refund/exchange terms. You have paid to insure the item. That should be your protection.

But I also probably don't need to tell you that PayPal will probably override all of that for your buyer in all likelihood if he pushes it and says the right things. But you have proof of insurance and I think you'd stand a chance even if they did.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:46 pm

thanks for the ideas, I passed along to the boss man. I already blocked. Will pm to you shortly...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand