Advertisement

Review Group Week 182 - DOOM PATROL #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:25 pm

They are walking a fine line with the Ultimate books, trying to both show how willing they are to break their toys, but also want the reader to invest some interest in the characters who are left.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:36 pm

I find everyone's lack of Millar faith disturbing. Do Ultimates 1 and 2 mean nothing?

He KNOWS these characters, he KNOWS this Universe, this is going to save the UU.

The only possible problem is that Pacheco isn't Bryan Hitch.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Punchy wrote:Then I choose...

Ultimate Comics Avengers #1!

After seeing those preview pages, I'm super excited for this. Excellent choice.

[center]Image
Ultimate Avengers #1
as selected by Punchy[/center]
WRITER: Mark Millar
PENCILS: Carlos Pacheco

Guess who’s back!! That’s right, kids, MARK MILLAR (THE ULTIMATES, WOLVERINE: OLD MAN LOGAN) and superstar artist CARLOS PACHECO (AVENGERS FOREVER, X-MEN) blast into the Ultimate Universe for a mind-blowing, heart-pounding and gut-wrenching event of epic proportions! When a highly-classified secret threatens Captain America, only the newly-returned Nick Fury has the tools to bring ‘em in! As the first of a series of blockbuster arcs begins: PROJECT AVENGERS is a go! Parental Advisory …$3.99

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Doom Patrol #1
Holy crap! This comic was a piece of shit! Maybe my least favorite comic we have reviewed... I seriously had to force myself to finish it, even the almost mildly entertaining Metal Men back-up could not save this turd. I am not familiar with Doom Patrol at all, maybe if I was I would have enjoyed this even a little but for a first issue this thing was all over the place. From the way the characters were introduced sporadically halfway through the book to the anti-climatic ending that had me scratching my head... isn't there usually a hook at the end of a comic that makes you want to buy the next issue? I thought I would enjoy the Metal Men back-up since the title book was bad but no, Metal Men sucked too. I hated this comic, even the art was sub par... it took me a minute to realize that Elasti-Woman grows, i thought it was just badly proportioned angles and it took me until the helicopter frame to figure out that the black shadowy thing came from the Mummy looking guy... wow.

STORY - 1

ART - 3

OVERALL - 2

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:14 pm

After reading the reviews posted so far I gues I am not alone in disliking this...
...I was on the fence about picking up Ultimate Comics: Avengers since Loeb killed any interest I had in this universe (and I am not a Loeb basher... I heart Rulk). I like Millar, I liked the Ultimates 1 and 2, but I just don't care at all about the Ultimate U now... but I guess I will be picking this up... if it sucks I blame Punchy.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Besides the fact that it's impossible for me to get this, I choose to believe the Doom Patrol ended foreverers with Mozz's superior run

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:58 am

McKegan wrote:Besides the fact that it's impossible for me to get this, I choose to believe the Doom Patrol ended foreverers with Mozz's superior run

That's just so depressing (that no one can do anything with the characters other than plug them into a generic comic book script).

Arnold Drake took chances with his DP, Morrison did too. That was distinguishes them in my mind from the other writers. The rest are beyond generic in comparison. I think they should have gone all out.

There's room for the characters in Giffen's book to grow and change, although this book won't last long enough, but the Chief's outright sadistic view of the Patrol was a terrible place to pitch the tone of this issue #1.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:27 am

First order of business, thank you public, that comic was utter shit... Doom Patrol put me to sleep about four times while reading it last night, so I have not written my review yet.

Metal Men was fun, but nothing amazing, it will bring the overall score of the book up though. Really need to think about the score for a bit, maybe tonight.

Secondly, nice choice Punch, review will be a review group exclusive, because my EIC told me not to write either Ultimate Review next week, wants a different voice.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 am

House of J wrote:That's just so depressing (that no one can do anything with the characters other than plug them into a generic comic book script).

Arnold Drake took chances with his DP, Morrison did too. That was distinguishes them in my mind from the other writers. The rest are beyond generic in comparison. I think they should have gone all out.

There's room for the characters in Giffen's book to grow and change, although this book won't last long enough, but the Chief's outright sadistic view of the Patrol was a terrible place to pitch the tone of this issue #1.

I suppose there's room out there for a more straight forward take on the DP, and I certainly wouldn't want to see someone repeat Morrison's run, but there's more to DP than a slightly quirky superhero team. I'd love to see Milligan on this book.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:49 am

My problem is the book read like fucking Teen Titans, there was nothing unusual about any of it, it lacked any fun and was boring and they should have just had Secret File type pages in the front or back instead of the computer read outs that were hard to read and in the end stupid.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:50 am

hey hoj, you have mail! :-D

Everyone can thank me for keeping this one out of the thread!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 94 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:My problem is the book read like fucking Teen Titans, there was nothing unusual about any of it, it lacked any fun and was boring and they should have just had Secret File type pages in the front or back instead of the computer read outs that were hard to read and in the end stupid.

I felt like there was potentially a lot there in terms of exploring the psyches of the team members, but it all just fell flat. Like everyone has said, the comic was just boring.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:02 pm

MrBlack wrote:I felt like there was potentially a lot there in terms of exploring the psyches of the team members, but it all just fell flat. Like everyone has said, the comic was just boring.

there is always a lot to potentially explore psychologically, they are people who dress in tights and fight crime for free... :roll:

Plus I thought Doom Patrol was supposed to be a crazy shit book. There was no crazy shit, although the cliffhanger at the end had a lot of potential.

I am tired of emo team books in general though, so I don't know... Metal Men was good enough for me to follow through on the cliffhanger, but this is getting dropped and MM may end up being a trade wait.

And what was up with not naming the girl who gets killed in the beginning until way after she dies. I had to go back and read the panel where she died again, because a. I didn't really get what happened in the panel and b. she was a red shirt, who cares that she died?

That's how desensitized readers are... oh, nameless chick died, who the fuck cares?

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 94 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:there is always a lot to potentially explore psychologically, they are people who dress in tights and fight crime for free... :roll:

Plus I thought Doom Patrol was supposed to be a crazy shit book. There was no crazy shit, although the cliffhanger at the end had a lot of potential.

I am tired of emo team books in general though, so I don't know... Metal Men was good enough for me to follow through on the cliffhanger, but this is getting dropped and MM may end up being a trade wait.

And what was up with not naming the girl who gets killed in the beginning until way after she dies. I had to go back and read the panel where she died again, because a. I didn't really get what happened in the panel and b. she was a red shirt, who cares that she died?

That's how desensitized readers are... oh, nameless chick died, who the fuck cares?

I think it goes even farther with the Doom Patrol in exploring the psyches of the team members. These are people who were manipulated into disaster by their team leader, and then given a new lease on life by him. The members of the team continue to remain part of the Doom Patrol not out of any need to bring justice to badguys, but because they honestly have nothing better to do. There's plenty to mine there.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:16 pm

MrBlack wrote:I think it goes even farther with the Doom Patrol in exploring the psyches of the team members. These are people who were manipulated into disaster by their team leader, and then given a new lease on life by him. The members of the team continue to remain part of the Doom Patrol not out of any need to bring justice to badguys, but because they honestly have nothing better to do. There's plenty to mine there.

I agree, just the psychology angle will never be enough, because we've seen it too death and it is just a natural part of Superheroes.

Now if they wanted to do a Mr. Psycho Pschologist to the Justice League Mini, or have Deadpool visit a therapist ala Charlie in Two and a Half Men, then we might have something, but otherwise, leave it alone already.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand