Advertisement

Review Group Week 182 - DOOM PATROL #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Part of the Patrol was always how tragedy affects a normal, unheroic person. But if this issue is a guide, it just turns you into a total asshole.
Image

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 pm

Ok. You know what WOULD be cool? A retro-styled DP strip in Wednesday Comics format. I can think of about a dozen of them in my head that would be superior to this.

I guess 4thman won't be getting a thank you message from Keith Giffen this week.

Think I sift around and see what other reviewers thought of this DP #1. I'm tired and I don't feel like working at anything.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Well, so far reviewers are more forgiving than we have been so far.

I did come across one bit of info I didn't put together at first. Something was bugging me about the priest's name, apparently that is actually Rocky Davis from Challengers of the Unknown.

Also, the review group on Jinxworld chose this as well!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34525
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 109 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:05 pm

House of J wrote:Well, so far reviewers are more forgiving than we have been so far.

I did come across one bit of info I didn't put together at first. Something was bugging me about the priest's name, apparently that is actually Rocky Davis from Challengers of the Unknown.


Yep, that was set up by Brad Meltzer in that Last Will and Testament one-shot.

I actually thought this was pretty good, there was a lot of set-up, but I felt the characters were strong, and the tone was different enough to the rest of the DCU that it was suitably weird, I love the idea of the DP working out of Oolong Island too, that's genius.

And the Metal Men back-up was amazing.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:11 pm

No one has mentioned the Magog snippet. I am assuming it was put there to make the other stuff actually look good in comparison.
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Punchy wrote:Yep, that was set up by Brad Meltzer in that Last Will and Testament one-shot.


Have you read Challengers? (Not the later ones)

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34525
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 109 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:18 pm

House of J wrote:Have you read Challengers? (Not the later ones)


Nope, only in guest-appearances and out of continuity stuff like New Frontier.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Punchy wrote:Nope, only in guest-appearances and out of continuity stuff like New Frontier.


Was just curious.

Rocky was pretty dumb.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34525
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 109 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:37 pm

House of J wrote:Was just curious.


I do like them though, they are one of those cool silver-age DC concepts that are really fun and inventive, yet don't really fit into the Modern DCU, much like Doom Patrol actually, the kind of wild madness the Arnold Drakes, Jack Kirbys, Robert Kanighers and Bob Haneys could get away with don't really work in the current climate of Rapes and Genocides, unless you go for comedy like the Metal Men back-up, Giffen's cynical take is the best we can get really.

But seriously, all that mad shit, the Sea Devils, Cave Carson, it's all awesome.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Punchy wrote:I do like them though, they are one of those cool silver-age DC concepts that are really fun and inventive, yet don't really fit into the Modern DCU, much like Doom Patrol actually, the kind of wild madness the Arnold Drakes, Jack Kirbys, Robert Kanighers and Bob Haneys could get away with don't really work in the current climate of Rapes and Genocides, unless you go for comedy like the Metal Men back-up, Giffen's cynical take is the best we can get really.

But seriously, all that mad shit, the Sea Devils, Cave Carson, it's all awesome.


Yeah, pretty much. Maybe DP should have been Vertigo again.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34525
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 109 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:41 pm

House of J wrote:Yeah, pretty much. Maybe DP should have been Vertigo again.


I don't think so, Morrison already did that, where else to go?

A modern, 'serious' Doom Patrol at least, is unexplored territory.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:45 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't think so, Morrison already did that, where else to go?

A modern, 'serious' Doom Patrol at least, is unexplored territory.


Well, not really. This is a lot like Byrne's DP redux.


Hell, or Paul Kupperberg's even. My point is this is much more akin to the less successful runs than the more successful, or even critically acclaimed ones.

EDIT: And don't forget, these are supposed to be the same characters from the previous runs thanks to the Superboy Punch, except for Rita of course, who is a clone.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34525
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 109 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:49 pm

House of J wrote:Well, not really. This is a lot like Byrne's DP redux.


Hell, or Paul Kupperberg's even. My point is this is much more akin to the less successful runs than the more successful, or even critically acclaimed ones.


I don't think you can call anything Byrne does serious, and Kupperberg's was an all-new cast except for Robotman right? The same for Arcudi's run, we haven't seen Negative Man or Elasti-Girl in these kinds of stories.

This is new territory for the Doom Patrol and I liked it, it has a different feel than anything else in the DCU right now, and I like that, the Marvel superhero universe has been a lot more varied in tone for the last few years, with almost crime books stood next to comedies, or to science-fiction, and Doom Patrol stands out to me from the rest of the DCU, which all shares the same morose tone, this is a bit more quirky, a bit more edgy.

But then I'm not a fan of the Doom Patrol, not read anything previously.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32072
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't think you can call anything Byrne does serious, and Kupperberg's was an all-new cast except for Robotman right? The same for Arcudi's run, we haven't seen Negative Man or Elasti-Girl in these kinds of stories.

This is new territory for the Doom Patrol and I liked it, it has a different feel than anything else in the DCU right now, and I like that, the Marvel superhero universe has been a lot more varied in tone for the last few years, with almost crime books stood next to comedies, or to science-fiction, and Doom Patrol stands out to me from the rest of the DCU, which all shares the same morose tone, this is a bit more quirky, a bit more edgy.

But then I'm not a fan of the Doom Patrol, not read anything previously.


Actually, we saw BOTH Negative Man and Elasti-Girl in Arcudi's run, and Kupperberg's had Larry Trainor as well.

If you haven't actually read any of the other runs we are going to have a failure to communicate here.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34525
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 109 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:59 pm

House of J wrote:Actually, we saw BOTH Negative Man and Elasti-Girl in Arcudi's run, and Kupperberg's had Larry Trainor as well.

If you haven't actually read any of the other runs we are going to have a failure to communicate here.


I haven't read any at all! And I'm all the better for it, since I enjoyed this because I wasn't worrying about the past.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bkthomson, Google [Bot] and 70 guests

Advertisement